Shimano XTR FD-M971 vs. XT FD-M771 weight?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shimano XTR FD-M971 vs. XT FD-M771 weight?

Does anybody have the actual weight of the Shimano XT FD-M771 front derailleur?

Weight Weenies lists the XTR FD-M971 as 150 g and I was wondering how much the weight gain on XTR front derailleur is compared to the XT one.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Nobody!
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    My XTR FD-M971 is 168grams

mtbr member
    Shimano's website says 155 grams for the xt 771

~~~
    My XT M771 (34.9 clamp, no shims) is 165g (+/- 2.5g) on a digital kitchen scale.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replys everybody.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Ok so its not just the new alivio derailleurs that gained a crapload of weight...what exactly do these things magically do that requires them to be 50- 60 grams heavier than the front derailleurs we were using 10-15 years ago?
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Ok so its not just the new alivio derailleurs that gained a crapload of weight...what exactly do these things magically do that requires them to be 50- 60 grams heavier than the front derailleurs we were using 10-15 years ago?
    Reliable/snappy shifting under load?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    There's been ZERO improvement in that department then. You cannot get any snappier than an early 90s Suntour XC-Pro front derailleur (which is who shimano stole their front derailleur cage profile shape from) but the closest shimano came to that was the early 90s XTR units with the gun metal blue finish, and the Deore XT-II, Deore DX, and Deore LX derailleurs below that of the same period. Return springs got weaker in the front derailleurs afterwards because shimano went to that whole "light-action" phase both to make for less effort/quicker downshifts in back, upshifts in front (the direction the thumb paddle pushed the derailleur in) and also to shaft SRAM whose gripshift units were stealing some market presence from shimano but which depended on a very stiff return spring in the derailleurs to make up for the added cable friction inside the shifter units.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    I ended up buying the XT FD-M771 derailleur. Mine weighed 167 g (34.9 clamp).
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

PurpleIsFasterThanRed!
    Good words Dee8. My old lovely LX from '94 has to be changed this year, but after FEW years, and stock 123g @ down-swing, 34,9mm... nuff said.

Greetz
    vi3dr0
    Aluminium Carbon / Damping Composite

Members who have read this thread: 0