Shimano XT dual control heavier than seperate shifter and levers??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shimano XT dual control heavier than seperate shifter and levers??

According to the shimano website the weight of the dual control XT shifter/brake lever is heavier than separate shifter and brake levers???

Dual control XT Shifter/brake lever 526g

XT shifter 255g
    XTbrake lever 128g
    combined 383g

Is the dual control weight for a set of 2, while the separate shifter/lever weights are individual?? (Meaning a set of dual controls are 526 and a set of separate shifter and levers are 766g (383x2) for a set... a 240g difference for a set) Otherwise it is 286g lighter for seperate set of shifters and levers (seems wrong).

I am not sure if I want to buy dual control levers or not. If you break a dual control it is more expensive to replace. If you want to change brakes or derailleurs or components later it can make compatibility an issue. The price difference from dual controls or separate components is insignificant.

286-240g on shifters/levers is a signifigant ammount when they are pretty much the same quality and price.....

There is no weight info on 08 parts on weightweenies.starbike.com

Anybody have actual weights??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urnicus
    That's because the site is no longer maintained, and it relies on manual verification of weights. www.yourtrails.net/weights/ does have 2008 weights, although unfortunately there are no submissions for the weights in question.

I can however tell you that dual control is indeed heavier, the only 'advantage' being the shifting method.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Great question. I'm in the same boat!!

Looks like i'm buying XTR separates then!!

Quote Originally Posted by Urnicus
    According to the shimano website the weight of the dual control XT shifter/brake lever is heavier than separate shifter and brake levers???

Dual control XT Shifter/brake lever 526g

XT shifter 255g
    XTbrake lever 128g
    combined 383g

Is the dual control weight for a set of 2, while the separate shifter/lever weights are individual?? (Meaning a set of dual controls are 526 and a set of separate shifter and levers are 766g (383x2) for a set... a 240g difference for a set) Otherwise it is 286g lighter for seperate set of shifters and levers (seems wrong).

I am not sure if I want to buy dual control levers or not. If you break a dual control it is more expensive to replace. If you want to change brakes or derailleurs or components later it can make compatibility an issue. The price difference from dual controls or separate components is insignificant.

286-240g on shifters/levers is a signifigant ammount when they are pretty much the same quality and price.....

Anybody have actual weights??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexyblackbmw
    Great question. I'm in the same boat!!

Looks like i'm buying XTR separates then!!
    I ended up getting the XT dual controls. They ARE heavier.

Also, before you buy them check out how they shift!! Its new to me and I am not sure yet whether or not I like it.... you push the brake lever down to shift to a higher gear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah, they came stock/OEM on my Scott. I don't mind the shifting action... so we can really lose a lot of weight (grams) by switching to separate brake/shifter levers

Trying to get the bike under 20 pounds (at 20.3 now)... These heavy shifters aren't helping. I like shimano, so I'll stick with xtr separate disc brake/shifter.

Members who have read this thread: 0