Shimano offering r/f again for '05.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Shimano offering r/f again for '05.

I read in the latest What Mountain Bike? mag that Shimano will be offering XT shifters (in silver or black) and seperate XTR rapid fire for '05. They will also have a regular hydraulic brake lever on it's own like the old XT 4 pots. Yoy probably all know about the new Hone groupset which is just below the XT level but designed more for all day enduro type riding, it will include the axle mounted rear der as the Saint does.

Seems like their sales took a dip and they lost a foot in the market place?

Powered by Pulvoron
    i am trying to confirm that 04/05 xtr disc hubs will also be available in 6 bolt format too.
    stay tuned.

dirt diggler

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by happybiker
    I read in the latest What Mountain Bike? mag that Shimano will be offering XT shifters (in silver or black) and seperate XTR rapid fire for '05. They will also have a regular hydraulic brake lever on it's own like the old XT 4 pots. Yoy probably all know about the new Hone groupset which is just below the XT level but designed more for all day enduro type riding, it will include the axle mounted rear der as the Saint does.

Seems like their sales took a dip and they lost a foot in the market place?
    They are coming out with reapid fire shifters, but they are not called XT or XTR. They will just be labeled Shimano and have different levels of rapid fire pods. The Shimano rep was in my shop last week and showd the 05 line-up to me.

The Riddler

are these new pods online in any articles or pics?

sounds good to me. maybe people will stop *****in about shimano now.

giddy up!

It'll take a lot more......

....than offering rapid fire shifters again to get people to stop *****ing about them:-)

There's just too much material to ***** about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo
    sounds good to me. maybe people will stop *****in about shimano now.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, they're sure flooding the market...

On another forum I've been debating about the need for the Hone group. Don't get me wrong it will be a great groupset, and I can see that it will suit many, many riders out there, (possibly including myself) but I challenge you to find one component that you couldn't use from the new XT, XTR and Saint groups. I guess it makes it easy for consumers, but how many different groupsets do you really need??

Anyway, back on topic... rf shifters... cool. Just to clear things up, what level will they be, it sounds like XT/XTR but un-named?? I'm sure they'll come up with a name soon....

Cheers, Dave.

mtbr member
    The "groupset" is to make it easier on OE's to put together build kits. If you went race face, fsa, sram, etc, none of them make ALL the parts that shimano does and it'd cost more for parts and money on time for purchasing agents at these companies to put together all the parts, when they could go to one source and buy the XT group and get most their components in one shot. Manitou I think is doing this too, "You can spec our fork or our shock, but if you do both it'll save you this much $$."

Discalaimer: IMO
    Last edited by Ultra Magnus; 04-28-2004 at 08:16 AM. Reason: add disclaimer

Lactic Acid is my friend.
    And these will be different from the current LX and Deore shifters how?

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    I'd guess slightly higher quality, and a tad lighter??

bmadau - I agree with your point, but if you look around, unless they're the very highest model in their range, most bikes still have a mix of groupsets anyway. Cheap front mechs is a common 'cost cutting' technique - Giant are good for that. You see a lot of bikes all say LX stuff, but with XT or XTR cranks and rear mech to make it look more speccy.

Don't get me wrong though, I reckon Hone would be great for the non - (and even pro) wheight weenie endurance racers out there, the last thing I'd want would to be stuck out half way through a lap with my dremeled down rear mech busted after it got a bit of a whack. But then again, having said that, the only thing I would use from the group would be the rear mech and hub, and so far I haven't had any trouble with my XT gear in that area anyway......

I think I'm going around in circles......

Cheers, dave.