Schwalbe RR not a mud tire- Mtbr.com
    Lactic Acid is my friend.

Schwalbe RR not a mud tire

As noted by xctearor below, we went out to our local trail yesterday - first time on the RRs for both of us. On the dry sections they rolled fast, but in the sticky mud sections, the mud would not come off the tire and just built up until there was no tread left. In the wet mud areas, the tire seemed pretty slick and had zero traction, making for some pretty tough out-of-the-saddle climbs.

I guess I'll keep these for dry conditions only, but for early season muddy trails, the RRs will stay home.

Here's a pic post ride...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love Pisgah
    Um...exactly. Why would it be? My race this past weekend...I showed up with Jimmy Lites, and heck, I LOVE the RRs.

Its indeed not a mud tire. Neither are the Karmas...Comp S lites...Pythons....Conti Explorer supersonics or Twisters...

....the "race" tire list goes on and on. Todays ride..I used Mosq Golds. Now THATS a mud tire.

Lactic Acid is my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Um...exactly. Why would it be? My race this past weekend...I showed up with Jimmy Lites, and heck, I LOVE the RRs.

Its indeed not a mud tire. Neither are the Karmas...Comp S lites...Pythons....Conti Explorer supersonics or Twisters...

....the "race" tire list goes on and on. Todays ride..I used Mosq Golds. Now THATS a mud tire.
    Well, I thought I'd just let people know in case they were ever curious about their performance in anything but dry trails. And it was just an excuse to post a pic! I really wish I had 2 wheelsets to keep 2 sets of tires so I wouldn't keep having to change them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by split
    Well, I thought I'd just let people know in case they were ever curious about their performance in anything but dry trails. And it was just an excuse to post a pic! I really wish I had 2 wheelsets to keep 2 sets of tires so I wouldn't keep having to change them.
    After seeing XCtearor's pictures from his recent ride I'm pretty confident that those tires are packed full of loess from LC. I think the type of soil you are riding in has as much to do with it as the tire you're runing. I haven't found a tire that will shed the stuff from LC.

Tonight we ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by split
    I really wish I had 2 wheelsets to keep 2 sets of tires so I wouldn't keep having to change them.
    That's what I do. You can pick up a cheap wheelset for $75-100 on ebay that makes a decent backup wheelset. Then you can have one dry weather/all condition setup, and the other for wet and muddy conditions Saves a lot of time otherwise spent tire swapping.

I recently put my 2.25 RRs on my backup wheelset, I'm going to give them another shot before I decide to sell. Like you I found them to be absolutely terrible in all but the dry hardpack sections. Worse than my Mutano 2.4r on soft and muddy trails. But VA trails are nice right now: mostly dry to slightly tacky.

They are definitly the fastest-rolling tires I have ever used though. That was very noticeable.