Scandium BB in grey market, opinions please- Mtbr.com
    Recovering couch patato

Scandium BB in grey market, opinions please

The search function doesn't work, so I'll ask here.

I'm looking for honest opinions from fellow consumers that have bought these supposedly super light scandium BB's (NOT the people selling them, please stay OUT of this thread please).

-do any of them work with 73mm BB shells?
    -price paid (don't mention where you bought it, so we don't give away free SPAM)
    -actual weight
    -quality out of box
    -durability, bearings and interfaces
    -would you buy it again if it failed on your today

All these superlight parts seem like such good deals, but the lightly steel Shook BB reached me with deformed axle, some other parts I don't wanna talk about.

So, are these a real option, or should we stay away from them and just buy something 200g+?

Thanks a lot for your opinions.

Happy trails,

J
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hi Cloxxki
    I purchased the Token scandium BB a couple of months ago. Not too many miles/k on it but it seems like a good quality BB. The store I purchased it from also replacement bearings for a affordable price. I might get a second one because the price is so good.

banned

although...

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    The search function doesn't work, so I'll ask here.

I'm looking for honest opinions from fellow consumers that have bought these supposedly super light scandium BB's (NOT the people selling them, please stay OUT of this thread please).

-do any of them work with 73mm BB shells?
    -price paid (don't mention where you bought it, so we don't give away free SPAM)
    -actual weight
    -quality out of box
    -durability, bearings and interfaces
    -would you buy it again if it failed on your today

All these superlight parts seem like such good deals, but the lightly steel Shook BB reached me with deformed axle, some other parts I don't wanna talk about.

So, are these a real option, or should we stay away from them and just buy something 200g+?

Thanks a lot for your opinions.

Happy trails,

J
    ...you didn't want my info here's some facts:

for 73mm shells there aren't any of those "superlight" BBs!

the really light ones are suggested for road-use only and available for 68mm or 70mm shells only! they have a really thin walled scandium axle and only 2 bearings.

the 73mm versions are for MTB XC-use and have triple bearings and a thicker walled scandium axle. cranks fixing bolts are M12 (12mm) instead of those big M14 (14mm) you see on the ultralight scandium BBs. real weights of these BBs are:

ROAD, 2 Bearing Races (crank bolts are M14, 30g)
    68-108mm BSA : 127g (can be tuned to just 110g!) earlier versions weighed just 120g.
    70-108mm ITA : 134g

MTB, 3 Bearing Races (crank bolts are M12, 25g)
    68-113mm BSA : 160g
    68-118mm BSA : 161g
    73-113mm BSA : 159g
    73-118mm BSA : 166g

picture of a triple bearing 68/113 , "ultralight" 68/108 and tuned 68/108 below:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    fsa ti isis bb is 159g for 73x113 i would trust that more than one of those scandium things

mtbr member
    Not the info you want... But I've had an FSA Plat Pro Ti, 113x68 from memorry that come in at 192g I doubt very much that the above poster is correct in saying the 113x73 is 159grams- more material less weight??? No problems here though, it's been running for well over a year and has seen quiet a few nasty enduro curcuits- It's not long away from being replaced though.

Also interested in the Scandium ISIS BB's, are they any good for heavier people, or its it really only for whippets like most of the weight weenies are?
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

Recovering couch patato
    I have an older ISIS 68x113 Platinum Pro Ti ready for my lightweight project bike, and it's 180g.

For a product as hyped as I thought it was, the Scandium BB owners don't seem happy enough to really tell about their experiences...

banned

i use it on my roadbike...

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I have an older ISIS 68x113 Platinum Pro Ti ready for my lightweight project bike, and it's 180g.

For a product as hyped as I thought it was, the Scandium BB owners don't seem happy enough to really tell about their experiences...
    i use a tuned 105g version on my roadbike without any problems. runs still smooth after 1/2 a year of use. the Scandium replaced a FRM Aluminium BB which lasted only 200m! some might remember telling about it in a earlier thread. the FRM had a undersized axle so the bearings had slight play on the axle. whatever you did there was no way to get that BB running without some play and it made noise...the scandium is MUCH stiffer than the FRM was. this could be felt immediately.

i sold many of these BB's and so far had only 2 complaint which both were really strange ones: one guy was bitterly complaining when his BB weighed 127g instead of the wished 123g and another guy said the BB cups were loose fitting in his frame? other than that i got only positive comments and several guys bought another BB for their girlsfriends or other bikes.

the light ones aren't supposed to go on a MTB. i'd say as long as you are not over 65 kilos or do strictly XC-riding go for it (no jumps). the triple-bearing version is sturdy and much beefier. double bearings on the drive side are a good idea anyway as ALL ISIS suffer of the weak bearing sizes.

i just disassembled my friends crank and bottom bracket as it made strange noises all the time...he was really angry and simply ordered a new XT crankset to replace his Next LP / Race Face Signature Ti setup...the Race Face BB was running rough indeed. for a BB that cost us a fortune and still weighs 200g (!) it's a shame. my friend is one of those typical nice-weather riders that just rides smooth fireroads....no mud, no high loads, no miles!!...yet the sophisticated Race Face BB is toast! i paid double the amount at dealers cost for that RF BB than what i sell the scandium BBs for....

Complete Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by CulBaire
    Not the info you want... But I've had an FSA Plat Pro Ti, 113x68 from memorry that come in at 192g I doubt very much that the above poster is correct in saying the 113x73 is 159grams- more material less weight??? No problems here though, it's been running for well over a year and has seen quiet a few nasty enduro curcuits- It's not long away from being replaced though
    I've had the same experience. Same bottom bracket, 191g, and very durable so far. Raced in mud, rain, water, etc, and is still spinning smoothly. One thing I've noticed though on installation is that it's possible to overload the bearings if you overtighten the cups. They start spinning kind of grindy. I always get to that point and back off a little and have never had a problem. Maybe all the problems with isis is from people honking on the cups and destroying the bearings?? Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

any 73x108 out there

my other post was for 68x108 turns out i need a 73x108 if possible thanks for any info!

banned

no 73-108...BUT...

Quote Originally Posted by twelve_volt_man
    my other post was for 68x108 turns out i need a 73x108 if possible thanks for any info!
    therew's no 73-108 available.

108 is the roadie lenght and roadbikes have 68mm BB shells.

but you can modify any such BB to make it fit. i simply shaved the right side cup of a 68-108 and now it can be mounted in the wider BB shell as well. just install it in the middle of the shell. no problem.

see such a modified BB next to the regular BB.

i used this modified scandium BB on my Scale when i was using the Race Face Next LP cranks with two chainrings. chainline is better than with a 113 BB. no problems with durability.earlier versions of this BB had a very thin axle and were much lighter (just around 120g). now the axle got beefed up, is much thicker and thus i see no problem in MTB applications.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I actually have a 68/73x108

it is a race face srx (or sxr), but it exists-I would love to keep the narrow q factor without dremeling anything! is there any other possiblities
    thanks

chips & bier
    As far as I know the RF BB's are about the only ones readily available that have 73/108 sizing, purely because the have no flange. As Nino suggest, machining away the drive-side flange is probably the easiest solution. If you have a lathe at home, you could simply use it and a file - it's really only a couple of minutes of work.