Road derailleurs on mtb- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Road derailleurs on mtb

Hi out there
    My XT frontderailleur is kinda heavy (about 155gram), so i thought that a roadderailleur could fit?
    Size is 34,9 and uses toppull, rings are 44/32..
    Looking at campagnolo, i find some sub 100gram units, but do they fit?
    I run SRAM X.0 twisters ?

Thx in advance

banned

problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus !
    Hi out there
    My XT frontderailleur is kinda heavy (about 155gram), so i thought that a roadderailleur could fit?
    Size is 34,9 and uses toppull, rings are 44/32..
    Looking at campagnolo, i find some sub 100gram units, but do they fit?
    I run SRAM X.0 twisters ?

Thx in advance
    you have no luck: road derailleurs are all bottom pull.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    do you got a frame with buttompull it's no problems.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ha ha
    I didnt know that :-)
    So, got to get XTR then, perhaps with alubolts.
    Thanx!

All 26.5" all the time!
    There was an adapter that shimano made available around '90-'95 that allowed a bottom pull FD to be operated from above. It required a cable anchor on the frame around the BB/chainstay area.

banned

correct BUT....

Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    There was an adapter that shimano made available around '90-'95 that allowed a bottom pull FD to be operated from above. It required a cable anchor on the frame around the BB/chainstay area.
    hey - his main goal was to loose weight...such an adapter might weigh more than his current derailleur

All 26.5" all the time!
    The adapter probably weighed less than five grams.....but finding one today would be tough. There was a period in time where top tube cable routing was becoming very trendy, but top pull F derailleurs weren't available. In that time, just about every MTB sold with top tube routing came with one of those adapters or a pulley setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus !
    Ha ha
    I didnt know that :-)
    So, got to get XTR then, perhaps with alubolts.
    Thanx!
    I'm not sure how much new old-stock searching you want to do, but the xt front derailleur previous to this one only weighed about 125 grams. It was a decent derailleur other than the fact that the cage could bend a little under heavy shifting load.

I really lucked out when I ordered a 34.9mm a few years ago, when I really needed a 31.8mm. It just sat around until I bought an NRS frame that took a 34.9 clamp. I think the old lightweight derailleurs were already quickly disappearing at that time, but I had my little mistake in my parts bin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfurby
    I'm not sure how much new old-stock searching you want to do, but the xt front derailleur previous to this one only weighed about 125 grams. It was a decent derailleur other than the fact that the cage could bend a little under heavy shifting load.

I really lucked out when I ordered a 34.9mm a few years ago, when I really needed a 31.8mm. It just sat around until I bought an NRS frame that took a 34.9 clamp. I think the old lightweight derailleurs were already quickly disappearing at that time, but I had my little mistake in my parts bin.
    You didn't say if it was high or low mount, but either way JensonUSA has the old 123g XT M750-FD in 34.9 top-pull for just $19.50. Just got one myself and it's working great. Also if you're a fan of the older RD's the have them too.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Members who have read this thread: 0