Road crank question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Road crank question

Funny, the road guys are not as into this as we are...So, here is a Road bike question:
    Along with considering some wheels, I am looking at a new drivetrain. I currently ride a 'old' Ultegra 9spd. The shifters are starting to rattle and I know it weighs 'a ton'. Without getting too crazy with spending all my cash...what is a way to go to upgrade on shifters and crankset? I am all in favor of 'non-matching' parts- ie: FSA / Sram/ Shim. I want to cut weight, so I do not want to go for Ultegra again...plus, I want to 'look good' as well as perform well...
    OK, call me shallow, but I love the look of the equiptment, so appearance DOES matter.
    Light, efficient and cost - conscious...possible?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Funny, the road guys are not as into this as we are...So, here is a Road bike question:
    Along with considering some wheels, I am looking at a new drivetrain. I currently ride a 'old' Ultegra 9spd. The shifters are starting to rattle and I know it weighs 'a ton'. Without getting too crazy with spending all my cash...what is a way to go to upgrade on shifters and crankset? I am all in favor of 'non-matching' parts- ie: FSA / Sram/ Shim. I want to cut weight, so I do not want to go for Ultegra again...plus, I want to 'look good' as well as perform well...
    OK, call me shallow, but I love the look of the equiptment, so appearance DOES matter.
    Light, efficient and cost - conscious...possible?
    for lighter shifters you have 3 options:
    either Campagnolo or SRAM. both have shifters that are well over 100g lighter than Shimano. then there is the Dura Ace which is only a little lighter than Ultegra.

Campa Record and SRAM Red are both pretty expensive so go for the next lower group which would be either Campa Chorus or SRAM Force.

remember that both Campa and SRAM shifters need their appropriate derailleurs as well ! so you would need new front and rear derailleurs as well. older Campa is 9s as well and works also with 9s shimano cassettes which is what you might have on the rear wheel. SRAM Force is 10s so you would also need a new cassette. 10s give better gear selection!

so if you switch shifters you would need the following:

CAMPA:
    Chorus 9s shifters r+l
    front derailleur
    rear derailleur

SRAM:
    Force Shifters r+l
    front derailleur
    rear derailleur
    10s cassette
    10s chain

SHIMANO:
    Dura Ace 9s shifters

crankset: first of all make sure you get the right gearing! if you had an old Ultegra you most probably had 53/39 chainrings which in most cases are too large anyway. these days COMPACT cranksets with 50/34 or 50/36 chainrings give mortal humans better gearing. this will also allow for a smaller (lighter!) cassette in the rear again giving you better gear selection. i really doubt that you ever used your current 53/12 or 53/11 all that much...right?on the other way if you are riding in the mountains 39/23 or 39/25 already needs some powerful legs. with a 34 or 36 chainring in the front you should be able to do some nice climbing also with a 23 or 25 in the back.
    Last edited by nino; 03-19-2008 at 07:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    for lighter shifters you have 3 options:
    either Campagnolo or SRAM. both have shifters that are well over 100g lighter than Shimano. then there is the Dura Ace which is only a little lighter than Ultegra.

Campa Record and SRAM Red are both pretty expensive so go for the next lower group which would be either Campa Chorus or SRAM Force.

remember that both Campa and SRAM shifters need their appropriate derailleurs as well ! so you would need new front and rear derailleurs as well. older Campa is 9s as well and works also with 9s shimano cassettes which is what you might have on the rear wheel. SRAM Force is 10s so you would also need a new cassette. 10s give better gear selection!

so if you switch shifters you would need the following:

CAMPA:
    Chorus 9s shifters r+l
    front derailleur
    rear derailleur

SRAM:
    Force Shifters r+l
    front derailleur
    rear derailleur
    10s cassette
    10s chain

SHIMANO:
    Dura Ace 9s shifters

crankset: first of all make sure you get the right gearing! if you had an old Ultegra you most probably had 53/39 chainrings which in most cases are too large anyway. these days COMPACT cranksets with 50/34 or 50/36 chainrings give mortal humans better gearing. this will also allow for a smaller (lighter!) cassette in the rear again giving you better gear selection. i really doubt that you ever used your current 53/12 or 53/11 all that much...right?on the other way if you are riding in the mountains 39/23 or 39/25 already needs some powerful legs. with a 34 or 36 chainring in the front you should be able to do some nice climbing also with a 23 or 25 in the back.
    Thanks Nino...
    Recently I had to replace the rear derail...so I did so with a new Durace. I guess that then limits my shifter choices. I did not know that the rear derail was 'shifter-specific'.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Thanks Nino...
    Recently I had to replace the rear derail...so I did so with a new Durace. I guess that then limits my shifter choices. I did not know that the rear derail was 'shifter-specific'.
    so you are basically stuck with Shimano then.

but then at least go 10s right away! get the DA 7800 brake-shiftlevers and the according 10s cassette as well as a 10s chain. you will be rewarded with much better gear selection and less weight as well. 10s chains are lighter!

Members who have read this thread: 0