Race Face Deus crankset weight....- Mtbr.com
    Feeding your addiction

Race Face Deus crankset weight....

Got some of RaceFace's new Deus cranks in today. 834g complete. Between XT and XTR in weight. Really sweet looking cranks.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned

rings alone?

cool - thanks for the info and pics!!

it would be nice if you could weigh a set without rings.usually RF has "tons" of rings on so maybe with some lighter rings like Extralite that set could be lighter than XTR...

so if it's possible give us the ring weights, chainring bolt weights and also crank fixing bolt weight.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    cool - thanks for the info and pics!!

it would be nice if you could weigh a set without rings.usually RF has "tons" of rings on so maybe with some lighter rings like Extralite that set could be lighter than XTR...

so if it's possible give us the ring weights, chainring bolt weights and also crank fixing bolt weight.
    I've previously weighed a set of the new 04' rings and they were 102g/54g/46g. Definitely some weight loss potential there. But, the granny I weighed looked slightly different than these (maybe stock is aluminum but replacement ring sets have steel??). I'll at least pull the granny off of one of these tomorrow and see if there's any difference from the one I weighed before. I'll probably do Atlas cranks (better for my weight & riding style) with Boone Ti rings on my new bike, can't wait
    Larry Mettler

banned

202g for rings...ouch!

that would mean a set of Extralite rings would drop almost 100g !!!
    definitely weigh those rings and bolts too-thanks

mtbr member
    yeah, and remember the deus is cheaper than xtr. with the extralite rings and bolts, it will be still cheaper and way lighter. but those stock rings looks soo sexy! i will get one but i will only replace the chainrings when they´re worm.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Got some of RaceFace's new Deus cranks in today. 834g complete. Between XT and XTR in weight. Really sweet looking cranks.
    Larry Mettler
    As a quick comparison, my:
    - FSA Carbon Pro Team, ISIS, compact, 4-arm with FSA rings = 575g;
    - FSA Platinum Pro Ti ISIS BB (68x113) = 177g; and,
    - FSA M14 alloy BB bolts with washers = 19g
    Total = 771g
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

banned

well...579g here

my setup by tomorrow (still shaving the middle ring...)

Storck Powerarms pro square 320g
    shaved Sugino rings 95g
    Al-chainring bolts 21g
    Al-crank fixing bolts 9g
    FRM Ti BB,square,tapered 103mm Ritchey spindle 134g
    Total = 579g

hard to beat!

mtbr member
    Nino do you know where I can get Storck Powerarms Pro in the us? Square taper is just fine for me.

Here is my Setup.

Nytex Carbon crank "engineering sample" 595g for arms rings bolts and spider
    Sampson Stratics BB hollow TI spindle composite cups 107mm 128g
    TI fixing bolts 14g

banned

here...

contact me off the forum:
    [email protected]

Jed Peters
    I'll probably do Atlas cranks (better for my weight & riding style) with Boone Ti rings on my new bike, can't wait
    Larry Mettler
    Larry, I wouldn't do the Boone rings...they won't work well for the type of riding you like to do.

Jan 2004

ALMOST LIKE NINO...at 616 gr

my MTB set up:
    Morati titanium square 320g
    standard Sugino rings (46-34-24) 116g
    Al-chainring bolts 21g
    titanium crank fixing bolts 14g
    TA square ti 145g
    Total = 616g

I weight 49 kg only so I guess little chances to break it... besides it will give me a opportunity to get another one than. Unless I can claim a WARRANTY something "à l'américaine"...

didier
    Attached Images Attached Images

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

So they break with you being under the reccomended weight

and they are under the warranty period and asking them to be replaced is "Like an American?"

That's just a stupid comment Didier!! Just a chance to bash America right?
    Now being serious, why would you not expect them to cover it? Unless you are lying or abused them, that is what comapnies offer a Warranty for! I don't know who things are there, but a WARRANTY will hold the company liable for making a quaility product that you shelled out your hard earned money for!

Don't you offer a warranty on your bikes? Or is that just an "American" thing?
    Let's say I buy a bike from you, that day when you were building the bike. you cut a few coners or made an honest mistake, poor desgin/build, what ever...I ride the bike for it intented use and bam, the frame breaks. I did nothing unusual and rode the bike as intented. Would you not send a new frame? Would I be out of luck?
    I hope this is not true or you might have trouble with sales in ANY country!

This is not about Swiss people or anything like that, but why using a warranty is so "American!!" But these little shots you tkae are just stupid and annoying
    I have nothing against anyone's homeland! Everyone has good and bad among them!!
    <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com</st1:country-region>
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

mtbr member
    I'm really not sure what that comment is about, DB... DT Swiss used to warranty hubs and cassette bodies for us all the time when I worked in a shop...

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    and they are under the warranty period and asking them to be replaced is "Like an American?"

Now being serious, why would you not expect them to cover it? ....

....This is not about Swiss people or anything like that, but why using a warranty is so "American!!" But these little shots you tkae are just stupid and annoying
    I have nothing against anyone's homeland! Everyone has good and bad among them!!
    <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com</st1:country-region>

Jag
    mtbr member

Gotta agree with DB on this one....

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY

Now being serious, why would you not expect them to cover it? Unless you are lying or abused them, that is what comapnies offer a Warranty for! I don't know who things are there, but a WARRANTY will hold the company liable for making a quaility product that you shelled out your hard earned money for!

Don't you offer a warranty on your bikes? Or is that just an "American" thing?
    Let's say I buy a bike from you, that day when you were building the bike. you cut a few coners or made an honest mistake, poor desgin/build, what ever...I ride the bike for it intented use and bam, the frame breaks. I did nothing unusual and rode the bike as intented. Would you not send a new frame? Would I be out of luck?
    I hope this is not true or you might have trouble with sales in ANY country!

This is not about Swiss people or anything like that, but why using a warranty is so "American!!" But these little shots you tkae are just stupid and annoying

Didier why must you turn this into a us vs them post.... with your subtle but pointed comment. Your comment is total flame bait....

Why don't you go to the political thread and post your opinions on why North American warranties are obsurd...

Sorry to the others... I am thin skinned today....

Jag

mtbr member
    Larry Mettler
    ]

Boy, they ARE nice looking! I went with the XT, because I needed them sooner, but I think the XT weigh more than that, right? I think the XT are 860gm all together like you weighed those. If I'm right, the RF's are lighter and cheaper and sexier... but made with irresponsible child labor. It's okay: they're Canadian kids, practically French.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Didier Carpentier

I weight 49 kg only so I guess little chances to break it... besides it will give me a opportunity to get another one than. Unless I can claim a WARRANTY something "à l'américaine"...

didier
    Hey Didier,

Don't hold your breath on those arms....I'm only 135lbs (61kg) and snapped my non-driveside arm right through. But, Morati was excellent to deal with and gave me a full cash refund. Odd that they aren't making cranks anymore, eh?

Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member

I think.

DB, I think what Didier was trying to say is that America's and many others, tend to think, "Who cares, its under warrenty" as opposed to actually valuing something such as this. Then warrenty it at the 1st sign of anything that resembles a problem, and/or get something bigger and better.

Thats my opinion; Very much a throw away society thing. Alot of Australian's seem to be getting like this too, especially kid's who dont pay/work for their gear.

Back on topic: Them cranks look well beefie, they should handle a fair bit of abuse. RaceFace needs to fix up there rings though IMO- they weigh a ton, and I have never actually seen a set that have lasted, they wear way to quicky.

Looks cool though!
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

Boj

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Boy, they ARE nice looking!
    Good looking? Have you all gone crazy?

Tonight we ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by CulBaire
    RaceFace needs to fix up there rings though IMO- they weigh a ton, and I have never actually seen a set that have lasted, they wear way to quicky.!
    Wear quickly compared to what? Surely not [email protected] al rings, which don't last anywhere near as long in terms of wear. I have gotten many more miles on my bike with RF rings vs my other three bikes with [email protected], LX and XT rings. I am gradually getting rid of the [email protected] rings in favor of RF or Blackspire.

As someone who is a masher and has bent more than a few rings, I appreciate the added thickness of RF rings as well. They hold up great for me. I definitely prefer them or Blackspire over my other setups. If you're not a masher that weighs close to 200lbs, then there are lighter rings available. Judging from the prices on ebay, you definitely won't lose any money swapping them out.

mtbr member

200lbs...

Quote Originally Posted by fonseca
    Wear quickly compared to what? Surely not [email protected] al rings, which don't last anywhere near as long in terms of wear. I have gotten many more miles on my bike with RF rings vs my other three bikes with [email protected], LX and XT rings. I am gradually getting rid of the [email protected] rings in favor of RF or Blackspire.

As someone who is a masher and has bent more than a few rings, I appreciate the added thickness of RF rings as well. They hold up great for me. I definitely prefer them or Blackspire over my other setups. If you're not a masher that weighs close to 200lbs, then there are lighter rings available. Judging from the prices on ebay, you definitely won't lose any money swapping them out.
    Dont get me started on Shimano I have found FSA & BlackSpier rings wear pretty good IMO, I have just never seen a set of RaceFace rings that have worn ralitively well... Although I cant say I have bent a chain ring before, but I have snapped a spider of a set of Shimano LX cranks. ...

195lbs today if your wondering, but I tend to spin more than mash.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

Jan 2004

à l'américaine

DB,
    I meant "à l'américaine" refering to the comun expression used in the bike track world, racing à l'americaine is a team of 2 lapping.
    So break one and get another new set like XTR or FSA for a change.
    I didn't make that one, it is very difficult and need special tools for. I got hold of that set MORATI for $300 near new and 8 months later, it still goes, too bad... I like new products with or without a WARRANTY program.
    didier

Feeding your addiction
    I've previously weighed a set of the new 04' rings and they were 102g/54g/46g. Definitely some weight loss potential there. But, the granny I weighed looked slightly different than these (maybe stock is aluminum but replacement ring sets have steel??). I'll at least pull the granny off of one of these tomorrow and see if there's any difference from the one I weighed before. I'll probably do Atlas cranks (better for my weight & riding style) with Boone Ti rings on my new bike, can't wait
    Larry Mettler
    Just a follow up on this, the granny is AL and weighs 24g. The set I weighed before were the 04' rings but not off the Deus.
    Larry Mettler
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    Larry, I wouldn't do the Boone rings...they won't work well for the type of riding you like to do.
    How so? Definitely wouldn't mind input if you've used them.
    Larry
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Jed Peters
    How so? Definitely wouldn't mind input if you've used them.
    Larry
    They have no ramps or pins. Definately a must for the type of "big" moutain technical riding that you do there on the front range....when shifts are important.

Even RF rings suck, IMHO.