Powercordz- Mtbr.com

Thread: Powercordz

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Powercordz

Hey Guys,

Powercordz are just starting to make an appearance here in Australia and I've been given a set to test. We're just coming into our season with the first National Round 3 weeks away and don't want to throw one of these important races away by snapping one of these things.

I'd like to hear from anyone with experience with them on MTB's and especially guys that use them for flat out XC racing. Are they reliable, have you had any problems, do you think I'll be safe with them?

Thanks, John.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    By power cordz, do you mean Powerlines? the Aztec ones?
    check out the reviews under cables, some find they are good, some say they are bad.
    I think if they are installed correctly and with patience, then they should be ok, but apparently they are a bi*ch to install.
    Avids flak jacket system is pretty good apparently, otherwise, just run full length Straight jacket housing.
    Cheers,
    wil

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    No he means powercorz the kevlar brake/shifter inner wire. I've used them and they're amazing and very reliable if you get the right cable housing. Apparantly some they don't work with.

banned

cost...

Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    No he means powercorz the kevlar brake/shifter inner wire. I've used them and they're amazing and very reliable if you get the right cable housing. Apparantly some they don't work with.
    are you willing to spend 70$ (without shipping) in inner "wires" alone for a saving of ca. 20g total (shift+brake)?
    these wires are not "straight". they have "kinks" in them which make them less slick than regular wires. several housings don't work ok with them. no disassembling and re-installing after they have been installed.

i really don't get the comment "very reliable" from above??? hopefully they are reliable otherwise you will be without brakes on the trail...regular wires don't fail !

i don't suggest them.

Trying to find Flow
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    are you willing to spend 70$ (without shipping) in inner "wires" alone for a saving of ca. 20g total (shift+brake)?
    these wires are not "straight". they have "kinks" in them which make them less slick than regular wires. several housings don't work ok with them. no disassembling and re-installing after they have been installed.

i really don't get the comment "very reliable" from above??? hopefully they are reliable otherwise you will be without brakes on the trail...regular wires don't fail !

i don't suggest them.
    But have you used them? .........*crickets* ...........Sorry, but credibility points go to BH, who's actually using them.

Lemme guess, Frischy doesn't use them. BTW - saw Frischy at Interbike. The dude has a mullet!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sorry to disagree nino but they do NOT have kinks in them, not sure what you mean there. They are very smooth and feel buttery. I use the jagwire housings with them FYI. I can't comment on how well they will last but they should not stretch like steel cables, and may last longer, theres a rubbery coating on the outside of the lines that is totally slick.

And it was actually $50 for a complete set from airbomb http://store.airbomb.com/Items.asp?Mc=PowerCordz

mtbr member
    Are you racing elite this season John?

I seriously dont think the weight savings would be worth the cost... Not on something like cables which are a throw away item really- and you can get XTR cables in Australia pretty damn cheap anyways...

When are we seeing the Yeti posted up here I love it...
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well cost doesn't matter because they're free, I've been given them. It's not much of a weight saving but it's a free one.

I use hydro discs so safety wise I'm not going to suffer. I'm only using them on gears but still don't want to be stuck without gears half way through a race.

Keep the experiences coming guys. When they do fail what is it, I'm thinking it's from clamping them too tight at the derailleur and them snapping. Is this true?

Cul, I'm not racing elite, the Yeti just needs disc calipers should be done next week. I'm actually asking the question for James (Maebus).

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Keep the experiences coming guys. When they do fail what is it, I'm thinking it's from clamping them too tight at the derailleur and them snapping. Is this true?
    I'd imagine the main cause for snapping is sharp edges from badly cut/routed housing.

Can't help you on how they perform

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti
    Well cost doesn't matter because they're free, I've been given them. It's not much of a weight saving but it's a free one.

I use hydro discs so safety wise I'm not going to suffer. I'm only using them on gears but still don't want to be stuck without gears half way through a race.

Cul, I'm not racing elite, the Yeti just needs disc calipers should be done next week. I'm actually asking the question for James (Maebus).
    just my opinion as a racer:
    why risk something if the only advantage is a 10g savings? definitely not worth even to try out.
    just to know you might have a new item on your bike and beeing insecure hampers your performance. as a racer you have to have 110% faith in your equippement. if you change parts it has to be better. if 10g less are "better" is up to you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    although i made it sound like it was me asking the question i'm actually researching this for a mate, couldn't be bothered explaining all the details in the original post.

nino, that is exactly what i told this guy. why bother if it's going to put doubt in your mind and wreck your confidence, expecially if it's only saving 30 grams. this guys hardtail is 10.7kg's anyway and he still flies. i think he just thought that he should test them as they were given to him.

i would still like to hear from guys that have used them extensively though so that i can give him some first hand experience for him to make his decision on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Honestly I didn't do it for the weight. They do perform better feel smoother, dont jam in muddy stuff from my experience. And yes I do trust them 110%, I don't know why you wouldn't. Maybe its because I used to sail alot and from my experience there kevlar lines are actually more stretch resistant and don't corrode. I guess if you want to replace and adjust your cables all the time ok, but so far for me these have been an install and forget part.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i agree on that: if you don´t trust a component it´s worse cause you´ll lose energy or concentration thinking on it.

But if you think the cable can fail and it´s not true, maybe it´s your problem, not powercords problem.

A racer of a local bike shop said the same about the alu bolt that holds the cable on his v-brake, but there is not really a problem there cause the bolts holds up pretty well, it´s a problem in your mind i think.

banned

correct...

Quote Originally Posted by LoLaM
    i agree on that: if you don´t trust a component it´s worse cause you´ll lose energy or concentration thinking on it.

But if you think the cable can fail and it´s not true, maybe it´s your problem, not powercords problem.

A racer of a local bike shop said the same about the alu bolt that holds the cable on his v-brake, but there is not really a problem there cause the bolts holds up pretty well, it´s a problem in your mind i think.
    but a Al-bolt saves up to 5g and costs 1$ and otherwise has no downside. with Powercordz we are talking about 70$ and savings of just 20g and possible problems with some housings.

that's a difference for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Nino... they're not $70, they're $50 from airbomb... and yes they may have problems with housings, but if they don't they will have better performance and probably last longer.

Do al bolts improve performance?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    al bolts improve performance much more than powercordz do.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    Nino... they're not $70, they're $50 from airbomb... and yes they may have problems with housings, but if they don't they will have better performance and probably last longer.

Do al bolts improve performance?
    well - official price according to their website is 70$. i don't care if you can get them at a better deal. i could get Al-bolts at 50 cents per piece...

weight/cost per gram saved:
    Al-bolt: 1g saved = ca. 30 cent
    Powercordz: 1g saved = 3$

no, a Al-bolt won't improve performance, neither do powercordz.

i had them in hand at the swiss distributor and even those guys admit with a smile on their face that they are a gimmick. the outer surface isn't "straight" as you have it with regular wires. just looking at them tells you there are some irregularities which in a thight housing will cause DRAG and this is what i definitely call a weak point. they don't work with Tune housings for example which save 50-100g per bike at a cost of ca. 30$.

so for me these are sure the lightest cables BUT have 3 downsides:
    -cost
    -compatibility
    -durability ( you can't take them off the bike anymore once they are installed)

there's people out there paying 380 Euro / 460$ for Schmolke seatposts or 490 euro/ 590 $ for Steinbach V-brakes...i guess those are the same people who buy Powercordz. people that have lost reality to some degree. nothing negative here, just a statement. i also am an addicted weightweenie and we all spend silly amounts on our bikes. that's ok with me. no problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    it´s really amazing how nino shows all bad points of those components he doesn´t sell or use, and how he just shows good reviews of the things he sells or use. I just don´t wanna speak about tune housing performance...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i forgot to mention that all parts that reduce weight will increase performance. no matter if it´s a bolt, a cable, a chainstay protector or a fork. Reducing a 10% of weight in every component will reduce your bike weight in 10%. That´s around 1000gr. 10% of the weight of a m4 bolt is not very much, but it´s a lot on the whole bike and it´s clear it improves performance. i talk about the weight isolated, some times weight reduction means pore price or less reliability, but only sometimes...

Members who have read this thread: 0