As posted on the Schwalbe North America website- Mtbr.com
    Weight Weenie Shop Owner

As posted on the Schwalbe North America website

PRODUCT ALERT!!!
    To our loyal Dealers and Customers:
    PLEASE BE AWARE that some SCHWALBE tires being sold on “discounted” web sites at EXTREMELY low prices are DEFECTIVE, “B GRADE” TIRES.
    This B GRADE product was filtered into the “Grey” market without our consent and by a source previously unknown to us. This product is easily identified by the absence of a final inspection stamp on the inside of the tire.
    In December of 2003, we located the leak at its source, sealed it off, and have made certain that ALL “B GRADE” tires were, and will continue to be, destroyed.
    Product purchased at discount/wholesale sites will NOT be eligible for factory warranty.
    We encourage consumers to purchase SCHWALBE product from authorized REGIONAL DISTRIBUTORS, INDEPENDENT DEALERS or DIRECTLY FROM
    SCHWALBE NORTH AMERICA only.
    We take pride in producing a superior product and have acted swiftly, and with results, to ensure our reputation, protect our brand quality, and the integrity of our customers.
    We thank you for your understanding and support.
    HAPPY TRAILS FROM THE ENTIRE SCHWALBE TEAM!
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

ballbuster

Sounds desperate to me

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY

PRODUCT ALERT!!!
    To our loyal Dealers and Customers:
    PLEASE BE AWARE that some SCHWALBE tires being sold on “discounted” web sites at EXTREMELY low prices are DEFECTIVE, “B GRADE” TIRES.
    This B GRADE product was filtered into the “Grey” market without our consent and by a source previously unknown to us. This product is easily identified by the absence of a final inspection stamp on the inside of the tire.
    In December of 2003, we located the leak at its source, sealed it off, and have made certain that ALL “B GRADE” tires were, and will continue to be, destroyed.
    Product purchased at discount/wholesale sites will NOT be eligible for factory warranty.
    We encourage consumers to purchase SCHWALBE product from authorized REGIONAL DISTRIBUTORS, INDEPENDENT DEALERS or DIRECTLY FROM
    SCHWALBE NORTH AMERICA only.
    We take pride in producing a superior product and have acted swiftly, and with results, to ensure our reputation, protect our brand quality, and the integrity of our customers.
    We thank you for your understanding and support.
    HAPPY TRAILS FROM THE ENTIRE SCHWALBE TEAM!
    Not that everybody who received the tires is a trained Schwable tire inspector, but they seem to say that if there are defects, they can't find them.

This strikes me more as a CYA move.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    [center]This B GRADE product was filtered into the “Grey” market without our consent and by a source previously unknown to us. This product is easily identified by the absence of a final inspection stamp on the inside of the tire.
    LOL. Both the Fast Freds I received already from ediscount have inspection stamps on the inside of the tire.

Try again troll boy.

ballbuster

Tff!

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    LOL. Both the Fast Freds I received already from ediscount have inspection stamps on the inside of the tire.

Try again troll boy.
    LMAO

*snicker*

Tonight we ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight

Try again troll boy.
    No need for puerile name calling.

Mine have the inspection stamps too.

Recovering couch patato
    Schwalbe may be changeing the story a little to not have to say "container that fell off the boat". Also, the presence of a stamp doesn't always guarantee everything.

I do have to add, that in my work, I've come accross instances where high-end manufacturers saw Asia produced, reject parts, end up on the market due to differences between them and the actual factory. The reject parts take a shorter way to the customer, and thus cost less. In some cases it's just about finish color and the product is perfectly fine, it also happens that a product is outside integrity tolerances.

Jan 2004

There are quite a few possibilities that I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Schwalbe may be changeing the story a little to not have to say "container that fell off the boat". Also, the presence of a stamp doesn't always guarantee everything.

I do have to add, that in my work, I've come accross instances where high-end manufacturers saw Asia produced, reject parts, end up on the market due to differences between them and the actual factory. The reject parts take a shorter way to the customer, and thus cost less. In some cases it's just about finish color and the product is perfectly fine, it also happens that a product is outside integrity tolerances.
    Quite a few possibilities that would cause no issues for the buyers...except for said warranty, and we all know how much tire warranties are worth.

For one thing it is well known that bike part suppliers sell parts to OEM bike manufacturers for much lower than they do aftermarket retailers. That is how we can buy whole bikes for much cheaper than we can buy the componenets and build them ourselves. Heck, have you seen Specialized selling $1700 dollar bikes with $700 Fox Float front shocks? The manufacturer makes the deal with the understanding the parts are supposed to be sold as OEM equipment on a bike. Sometimes these products have slight changes to the aftermarket one (for example Manitou Fireflys with steel vs. titanium coils), most times they are the same. This is one possibility where these tires came from.

Another possibility, is closer to what Schwalbe elludes to. Perhaps Schwalbe sorts the tires to keep a certain quality level for their higher end markets. Perhaps they sort out all tires that fall outside a certain weight range. The other tires, while OK, would be sold in a lower market or scrapped out (as they suggest.) These tires could have found there way back to the mainstream market. I made this suggestion because the few sets I had, varied considerably in weight from tire to tire. That might be perfectly normal for all I know and it could be another "defect", like poor or missed print, that caused the rejection.

Anyway, my point is there are many possibilities that could happen that shouldn't cause purchasers to be alarmed. I don't have any road time on my tires yet so I will reserve judgement on how they hold up. Sooooo ready for winter to be over.

Jan 2004
    What does an inspection stamp look like?

Lactic Acid is my friend.
    and there are many Euro bike companies that stock bikes with Schwalbe tires as OEM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    All tires I got from Ebay do have an inspection stamp. All seems to be of perfect quality.

Yeah, yeah, local dealers got pissed. Only customers in other countires are supposed to get good deals - fat merikans should pay through the nose and leave a good chunk in three layers of middlemen.

If they are defective - they should issue a recall or be held responsible. They are responsible - unless they filed a suit to stop distribution back in December. But I think they are just blowing smoke.

Recovering couch patato
    Cube Bikes (www.cube-bikes.de) almost exclusively uses Scwalbe, and appears to be their biggest customer.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    That funny, The pot is calling the kettle black!..LOL

BUT, I am strating to under myself now if Schwalbe is changing the story and if they might be wrong about this. If these tires have stamps, then something else is going on
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

on the OEM price note...

OEM only parts DO get sold a LOT cheaper than aftermarket stuff. Canadians who shop online probably know the details of the mtbpartsatcost.com fiasco by now. Basically last year, ProCycle group bought out balfa. Then they decided last fall that they wanted to change balfa back into a high-end boutique framebuilder and thus, only sell framesets, not complete bikes. So they had all these parts at the balfa factory that needed to be disposed of. Since its a seperate division of the company they sold them all, as one lot, to one buyer. That buyer then, without Balfa/Procycle knowing it ahead of time, took those OEM parts, which he paid even less than OEM price for - since it was a liquidation of inventory - turned around and setup a website and sold the things mail order. Brand new stuff, mostly 2003 but some limited quantities of 2004 merchandise that balfa had gotten ahead of any other dealer, because they're an manufacturer. This included Saint parts, Marzocchi 888 forks, and so on. The guy was selling 888Rs for $999 cdn when the DEALER WHOLESALE was $875. Needless to say, this is violating quite a few trade laws (canada has laws about selling OEM market goods direct to the consumers market), XTR Disc brakes were $140 cdn (dealer wholesale is $135 cdn), and so forth. Procycle/Balfa found out what was going on, and then bought back all the remaining inventory they could and shut down the site of the guy dumping the parts on the internet.

Now if Schwalbe REALLY cared about the tires ediscount's selling, they'd try and buy the lot back from them. At the very least, they'd buy some themselves, read the inspection stamp numbers off the tire casings (ya know, the numbers that don't exist on these tires), and find out which batch of tires they came from and which OEM sale they belonged to. Tire companies do keep track of who's buying their products afterall in case of future defects/recalls.

The Top Cap Guy
    Is the inspection stamp on the inside of the tire like... 5 digits a letter and 2 digits? Or is it a "Inspected" stamp??? My Fast Freds I bought directly from Schwalbe only have the #####A## stamp.... and nothing else on them. I also got them before the whole "defective" tire thing happened - so I was lucky enough to pay pretty much retail for them.

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
    Is the inspection stamp on the inside of the tire like... 5 digits a letter and 2 digits? Or is it a "Inspected" stamp??? My Fast Freds I bought directly from Schwalbe only have the #####A## stamp.... and nothing else on them. I also got them before the whole "defective" tire thing happened - so I was lucky enough to pay pretty much retail for them.

FF
    Just the #####A## code. Its a batch code they stamp into tires going to market to indicate what production year/run the tire was from, so they can keep track if they need to do a warranty or recall. All tire makers do that. The stamp is the last step before packaging/shipping.

The ediscount tires have the same stamps as the Schwalbe direct tires.