Illuminati

Post up your lightweight wheelset - thread

Hi All
    my current lightbicycle rims/dt revolution/absolute black front/dt240s rear wheelset is very reliable for all year round use, but compared to wheelsets like Ole 1060g its nearly 3/4lb heavier.

I'm considering a summer/limited use, much lighter 29er wheelset & I'm curious to see what options people are using. as an example 6 weeks ago I hadnt heard of the wren sport stem, so I'm always open to new components & I'm curious to see what lightweight wheelsets are out there!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by scant View Post
    Hi All
    my current lightbicycle rims/dt revolution/absolute black front/dt240s rear wheelset is very reliable for all year round use, but compared to wheelsets like Ole 1060g its nearly 3/4lb heavier.

I'm considering a summer/limited use, much lighter 29er wheelset & I'm curious to see what options people are using. as an example 6 weeks ago I hadnt heard of the wren sport stem, so I'm always open to new components & I'm curious to see what lightweight wheelsets are out there!
    Almost the same as you, nextie 30mm rims, XTR (137g) front hub, same spokes/alloy nipples. The alloy nipples are problematic on carbon rims though, as they start to corrode almost immediately when put in contact with carbon. On my last build on a different bike I used a ton of anti-sieze, which I'm hoping will help. Otherwise you should probably switch out the nipples every season, based on my observations and experience. I don't have all the parts yet for this new build, but I've built enough wheels, from revolution spokes to alpine III to know what I need. Going significantly lighter is not worth it IMO. This is the point where you quickly get into diminishing returns and stuff that won't hold up much for all-around use. During an XC race I thrash the hell out of my bike and wheels and although I've gotten a lot of negative rep on this, I'd wager that those of us racing competitive expert through pro put a lot more stress on our XC bikes in a race than most riders do on their AM bikes on any given ride. Just the fact that I'm traveling downhill at nearly the same speed through chunky terrain with much less suspension and such should be a dead give away, but I man-handle the hell out of the bike during an XC race. Double jump comes up that I'd normally lower the seat for? No time, have to keep pedaling during that half a second it would have taken to lower the seat, launch off the jump all the same. Not the prettiest or most comfortable, but the fastest. With a 29er wheel, it's inherently flexier and weaker than a smaller wheel, so I don't push the build with 24 spoke counts or anything like that. Rims can go a little lighter if you go back to 1990s XC widths, but 25-30mm carbon is pretty darn nice.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Illuminati
    just to clarify, any intended new wheels would be specifically intended for light downhill use & burying myself uphill I've been riding mtb for 31years. I've got no intention of smashing 1000g wheelsets through rock gardens, i've got other bikes I ride for harder use

I am wary of alu spoke nipples, purely as I've worked on a lot of other peoples wheels where they've either seized or broken. but as i said earlier, i'm hoping I'd avoid the worst of any corrosion issues by only using such lightweight wheels in the summer

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by scant View Post
    I am wary of alu spoke nipples, purely as I've worked on a lot of other peoples wheels where they've either seized or broken. but as i said earlier, i'm hoping I'd avoid the worst of any corrosion issues by only using such lightweight wheels in the summer
    You might want to look up why aluminum corrodes when in contact with carbon.

Despite all of the excellent properties of CFRCs, there are issues with using CFRC and metals together. Carbon fibers in CFRPs cause this material to become electrically conductive. The carbon fibers are electrically conductive and electrochemically very noble. Therefore, when a metal is electrically connected to a CFRP, it is more susceptible to galvanic corrosion. This situation becomes worse when a large surface area of carbon composite components is coupled to small metallic parts (such as fasteners, bolts and nuts). In these circumstances, the rate of galvanic corrosion is extremely high due to the high cathode to anode surface area ratio (Ac/Aa).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Why isn't there more aluminum corrosion on parts mated with carbon? Seems there's a little missed information.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Why isn't there more aluminum corrosion on parts mated with carbon? Seems there's a little missed information.
    Like this?
    Seized Seatposts and Stems | Park Tool

I've read about more than one seized seatpost.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    There's more.