at a point, is tuning dangerous?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

at a point, is tuning dangerous?

In my effort to shave free weight off my bike, im looking at tuning the seatpost. partially to save weight, and partially just as a project. I know ill be working the massive and heavy clamp, but also, what about the actual shaft? is it too dangerous? the pic is kinda what i intend to do... keep in mind, i intend the drilling to be parallell the frame tubing, so as to keep flex and possible breakage down...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Im just saying..

Boj
    mtbr member
    If you must drill it, drill perpendicular to frame tubing. Material parallel is actually carrying most load. I wouldn't drill it at all though. It'll just look weird and you'll weaken the seatpost significantly for very little savings.

Just go nuts with the clamp and that's it.
    If in doubt - pedal harder!!!

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Boj
    If you must drill it, drill perpendicular to frame tubing. Material parallel is actually carrying most load. I wouldn't drill it at all though. It'll just look weird and you'll weaken the seatpost significantly for very little savings.

Just go nuts with the clamp and that's it.
    Agreed.

Also, trim it as much as possible (don;t go crazy, as you risk damaging the frame, seatpost and yourself). If you must touch the sfaft, try shaving it where the diameter doesn't matter (i wouldn't personally reccomend this though)

SUBLIM8er
    Are you for real? No way. Don't do it. The seatpost shaft is the last thing you want to fail. The thought of a broken and jagged seatpost shaft .......well, you get the idea. Save your pennies and get a decently light post.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    I agree with Axis. DON`T drill that shaft. Anyway, one hole "through" is only equal to 2 grams. This isn`t worth the danager you put yourself in, regardless of how Twiggy you may be. The older Syncros posts had a single hole at the bottom of the shaft (safer) which was unseen; inserted in the frame. This was more of a trade mark than a weight savings idea.

When you take metal off the clamping mechanism, make sure to leave material where stresses exist... otherwise... snap! And ouch!

mtbr member
    ok, so maybe this was a bit much... i was just kinda thinking, and wondering what others thought too... the only reason i was even bringing this up, is because my post is kind of a weird size, so i cant really get a masterpiece or anything carbon...
    Im just saying..

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggyperson
    ok, so maybe this was a bit much... i was just kinda thinking, and wondering what others thought too... the only reason i was even bringing this up, is because my post is kind of a weird size, so i cant really get a masterpiece or anything carbon...
    Depending on the size, you could get a plastic shim to use. USE makes them

mtbr member
    what size of a post do you need? And what post are you currently using?

I wouldnt do it.

mtbr member
    I would need a 26.2 post. and i still cant find anything. im for sure going to work the clamp a little this weekend.
    Im just saying..

mtbr member
    May 2005
    25.0 seatpost here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=8258
    25.0 to 26.2 shim here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...px?ModelID=820

They do ship to the US - though it will cost a bit, but a much better solution than what you are suggesting.

Boj
    mtbr member
    Or if you wanna make a shim, just use 0.6 mm thick sheet of metal.
    If in doubt - pedal harder!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggyperson
    I would need a 26.2 post. and i still cant find anything. im for sure going to work the clamp a little this weekend.
    You Can get a carbon fiber post from www.sdgusa.com. It's a SDG-I Beam. It would require you to get a newseat as well. You could actually get the carbon post and the I Fly seat and they'd have a combined weight of about 285 grams, that's about as light as yoour going to get for a seat/post combo. Or you could get a aluminum alloy post weighing in at 230grams.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Barby
    You Can get a carbon fiber post from www.sdgusa.com. It's a SDG-I Beam. It would require you to get a newseat as well. You could actually get the carbon post and the I Fly seat and they'd have a combined weight of about 285 grams, that's about as light as yoour going to get for a seat/post combo. Or you could get a aluminum alloy post weighing in at 230grams.
    thats great, and i can totally dig that, but still not the size i need... im just gonna look at spacers and a 25.4 post...
    Im just saying..

Members who have read this thread: 0