Paging Jm. - FSA Torx T-30 Chainring Bolts for XT Cranks- Mtbr.com
    ಠ_ಠ

Paging Jm. - FSA Torx T-30 Chainring Bolts for XT Cranks

I'm thinking of switching out the steel chainring bolts on my 05 Shimano XT cranks with FSA Alloy Torx bolts. here

Anyone think this is a bad idea?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    I'm thinking of switching out the steel chainring bolts on my 05 Shimano XT cranks with FSA Alloy Torx bolts. here

Anyone think this is a bad idea?
    well, I'm not sure I'd say bad idea, but I have a set of these that came on my v-drive megaexo crankset, and my concern is the tools I have to carry. This is one of very few fasteners on the bike that I don't carry a tool for currently, the only other I can think of is a huge hex in the suspension linkage. You can carry the T-30 that FSA apparently supplies with the bolts (as in the picture), but then you might be back up to a total weight closer to steel bolts (I'm not sure, haven't weighed the wrench of course). I certainly have a hex in my kit to handle regular chainring bolts, whether alloy or steel.

Cheers,

Andy
    Bring on the rocks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    FSA T-30 wrench weighs 21g

If you carry this thing around, you're at the exact same weight as steel bolts. But if bolts are correctly torqued before a ride, they shouldn't come loose anyways...

ಠ_ಠ
    I guess what I want to know is am I giving anything up by changing from steel to alloy bolts. Some people say it's not worth it since this is a high-torque point on the bike. But, I couldn't find any people on this forum dissatisfied with their FSA alloy bolts. I'm also curious if I'm giving up stiffness since this was the main reason I went with the XT crankset.

thanks
    Last edited by dulyebr; 08-18-2005 at 04:39 PM. Reason: typo

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've had good and bad experiences with alloy chainring bolts. Just don't torque them too much, and check their tightness every once and a while.

Do It Yourself
    I agree with the torx thing being a pain. Honestly, I think they would shear before you would strip with a 5mm allen so I don't see the advantage to the torx for this application.

Most of the torque is on the spider and the bolts are pretty much just holding the ring to the spider. I've always used aluminum chainring bolts and never had any troubles.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member

Forget the tool...

Hehehe I have been running the T30 bolts for well over a year now, and I have only ever needed the tool once, and even then it was only to take the rings off and clean them.

The bolts hold their torque quiet well, you can crank the hell out of them with no troubles in terms of stripping/threading- and I'm yet to find one thats come loose. So tighten and forget... I'm not even sure where my tool is any more
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

Members who have read this thread: 0