Over torqued?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Over torqued?

Forging Elite Awesomeness

Bonking ... not feelin' well Over torqued?

Hmmm...so I'm installing my Selle italia SLR Cabonio saddle (carbon rails) on a thomson masterpiece post with my torque wrench. The little manual that comes with the post recommends 60 inch/lbs of torque so that's what I plug into to my wrench and have at 'er. Well I'm tightening and noticing little paint threads coming out from under the washer and bolt head on the post. Seeing as this post is brand new and is painted black where there is metal on metal contact I didn't think much of it but decided to check with an allen key to make sure I didn't 'miss the click'. Well it was much tighter than I would of made it with a allen key, however I didn't even get near the park tool recommended torque settings of 174-347 inch/lbs.

Should I just torque it by hand to whatever tension I feel is right or go at it with the torque wrench again?

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Wait? You said the manual says 60 inch/lbs, which sounds about right.

Then you say "I didn't even get near the park tool recommended torque settings of 174-347 inch/lbs." Which is it. The latter is of course entirely too tight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You also state that the 60 is what is written in the manual of the post.
    It's the saddle that you have to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Wait? You said the manual says 60 inch/lbs, which sounds about right.

Then you say "I didn't even get near the park tool recommended torque settings of 174-347 inch/lbs." Which is it. The latter is of course entirely too tight.
    I knew the latter was way WAY too tight but I was using it as an example for the purpose of explaining that even below 60 inch/lbs the bolts 'feel' too tight. Park tool must be using iron seat rails or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevorken
    You also state that the 60 is what is written in the manual of the post.
    It's the saddle that you have to look at.
    How do I find what the recommended torque setting is for the saddle? The manual says nothing, it's not printed on the rails, and it's not on their website that I can find.

mtbr member
    Im interrested in this as ive just bought a carbon rail saddle too and there are no torque settings.

Generally though i just do bolts up to an apporiate level - tight enough to hold item in place then just a wee bit tighter.

Members who have read this thread: 0