mtbr member
    Jan 2004

opinion on time atac xs ti carbon pedal@260 grms...

has anybody used these pedals ? i know that they are heavier than my current ti eggs but at present i can clip into my right pedal without probs but i'm struggling to engage my left foot....i've always got to move my shoe over the pedal quite alot,i dont know if its a wear on the cleat issue or if anybody else has had problems with their eggs?
    anyway what do you think of the xs ti carbon pedal?
    Last edited by marco; 10-18-2005 at 11:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

must be a cleat issue...

had eggs, now have times, and am going back to eggs. the eggs work
    better, easier to get in n out. i like the bigger platfrom of the times
    but it can definitely hang up on certain shoes and really bind the action.
    i do not like the side to side float at all on the times, i do not like it on the
    road pedal either.

mtbr member

I had both...

Actually I had the Twin Ti then the Titan XS. I actually liked the Atac Titan xs better because my foot felt more secure and solid. They were the same to me in exit ease (after breaking in the CB cleat). The XS were a little easier to clip in because the front piece of carbon of the XS guides the natural foot movement of sliding slightly forward to clip in. But I eventually went back to the Eggs because that same carbon triangular guide started to wear rather quickly.

mtbr member
    I have some ti eggs and i have just gone through exactly the same thought process that you are at the moment!!! Are my eggs stuffed? Should I try the ATAC XS? etc

First thing, i bet your cleats are stuffed, take one (or your shoe) to your lbs and compare the cleat to a new one, bet yours is a little flat! Mine was!

I regreased my eggs, put new cleats on, cleaned the crap out of the spring and am happy I have not yet forked out more money on a larger, chunkier looking pedal. I am happy again, and glad I have my light, cool looking, easy to get in and out of, safe for the knees pedals!

Let me know what u do!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sorry guys I will have to disagree here, I have had the twin ti eggbeaters and didn't like them for multiple reasons 1. Teeny tiny platform for foot when not clipped in! Shin smacker
    2. No tension adjust for release, after riding for about 2 months the eggbeater tension just went to crap foot has popped out multiple time on hard sprints!
    3. Also wings on pedal are very succeptable to rock smashes, on the times the clips are kind of protected by body, times can take a much bigger hit.
    4. Also these pedals have a very wide Q factor about 5mm more than my times. (now they are coming out with shorter spindles go figure)
    Also I think having to grease the beaters is bogus I have a set of the old time titan carbons with sealed bearing for 5 years and have never even touched them, tell me what your eggbeaters look like after 5 years, UHH you probably won't have them in five years, I feel they are a disposable pedal So my beaters will be for sale shortly. Also the only down fall is the xtra 70 grams compared to the twin ti, I'll eat the 70 grams for a set it and forget it pedal!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Any more opinions on the Titans? I'm trying to decide between the XS carbons and the Titans. I weigh 155lbs

Busted!!!
    I have the Atac Carbon XS and love them. I dont know if I would spend the money for the Titans. Although for someone looking to save 70 grams or so, it may be worth it. My set weighs in at 340 grams, thats 18 over the Time spec of 322.

The pedal works great. There is a ton of rocks where I ride, adn every ride I smash one with a pedal, and the front ramp has held up great. No significant wear but have taken alot of punishment. The Triangular ramp slides on even the worst timed pedal to rock strokes. My old SPDs would stop you in your tracks on similar hits.

the train keeps rollin
    Get the Times.

Everytime I see someone trailside working on a pedal, it's a beater.

mtbr member
    The Time's rule, great mud clearance and super durable. I have been running mine on various bikes for six or seven years without any problems, other than changing to new cleats. They don't mess up your shoe soles like the eggs can, and i feel the larger platform is much more comfortable although it's heavy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    not sure if you have decided yet , I have both the carbons and the titans I do not notice any difference between the two . I had a problem with two of the pins on the carbons that the springs slide over , they tried to work their way out of the base TIME repaired at no cost pedals are great easy to release and engage I have team mates with eggbeaters and like the only complaint that I have heard was about the small contact area causing pain or discomfort on the balls of their feet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    cool, thanks for the word. I'm gonna go with the times, just have to see if I can get the titans cheap enough, otherwise the carbons will be great

Members who have read this thread: 0