Cleavage Of The Tetons

Oooh, shudder, here is a nightmare for a WW!

OK, so I have a really light Carbon NRS that I spent a month obsessing over, alu bolts, Ti bits, stans, etc, blah blah. Haven't ridden since october. I went on it's third ride last night, Walnut Creek in Austin. Full lights, Water bottle battery, cat eye lights, headlamp with Nicad battery, etc, pretty heavy now. So I pick up my Camelsack, I have tons of water. Ride, drink, I still have tons of water. Ride more, drink more, still have tons of water. Run out of water. Pick up pack, still weighs 20 lbs. or so. What gives? My U-lock was in there, along with two sets of spare keys, two Alien tools, (don't ask), two tubes THREE pumps, (two shock pumps), two tubes of patch glue, and a broken chain. Weight Weenies, are you horrified? I still kicked ass, regardless. Or at least that's what the homeless people told me....
    Last edited by rideit; 03-10-2004 at 06:58 PM.

I love Pisgah

My God man

..."oh the humanity"...as Newman put it.

Bet you'll fly next time. Ha!

Cleavage Of The Tetons

Or as Conrad experienced in Heart Of Darkness...

Heads on stakes, Poison darts, and pygmie orgies. Good stuff. Makes one realize how spoiled we are...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    OK, so I have a really light Carbon NRS that I spent a month obsessing over, alu bolts, Ti bits, stans, etc, blah blah. Haven't ridden since october. I went on it's third ride last night, Walnut Creek in Austin. Full lights, Water bottle battery, cat eye lights, headlamp with Nicad battery, etc, pretty heavy now. So I pick up my Camelsack, I have tons of water. Ride, drink, I still have tons of water. Ride more, drink more, still have tons of water. Run out of water. Pick up pack, still weighs 20 lbs. or so. What gives? My U-lock was in there, along with two sets of spare keys, two Alien tools, (don't ask), two tubes THREE pumps, (two shock pumps), two tubes of patch glue, and a broken chain. Weight Weenies, are you horrified? I still kicked ass, regardless. Or at least that's what the homeless people told me....
    I use my bike (the GT STS and now the 5-spot) to commute to work and go around the city. Sometimes I am carrying my Powerbook, a change of clothes including shoes, papers, plus the usual camelback with my tools pump etc ... all in a messanger bag. It weights enough that I feel like increasing the preload in my shock, but it looks very cool zipping along on a 26 pounds bike with a 26 pounds (wild estimate) load

By the way ... I just realized that there is little weight gain in using an air vs a coil shock if you have to carry the shock pump

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Eh, I dont know how bad it is. At one point I was looking at weighted clothing for riding and running (Ha! like I ever run!). Ride with that and when race day cometh thou shalt kick @$$eth. Although it might be fun to ride w/o all that junk. My camelback is pretty heavy with the alien tool, front derailleur (in case - long story) and 100oz of water though I never finish half of it except on those really hot long summer rides. Then again my bike is about 29lbs so I'm not much of a WW. Lets see some pics of your bike when ya take some.
    Herro prease

Scott479

Oh, the horror! :) n/m

da;d;s
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Heads on stakes, Poison darts, and pygmie orgies. Good stuff. Makes one realize how spoiled we are...

Members who have read this thread: 0