One Handed Bunny hops (grips)- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

One Handed Bunny hops (grips)

So, when I ordered my new Soul topcap/bolt (1 piece) I went ahead and let the weight weenie take over and ordered a set of KCNC EVA foam grips. They are a sweet highlighter blue color and only weigh 15g. Currently I ride ESI Racers Edge grips that weigh in at 50g. I was going to wait for my new bar to arrive before installing them but I said what the hell and went for it.

Ergo wise they feel great. But because they are foam, alot of the absorbsion is lost once you grip onto them. The color is great and the weight is awesome. But after one ride, I have my ESI's back on. For one I ride a rigid ss so having a little absorption on the grip is quite nice and these just weren't cutting it. But the biggest thing is that they don't frickn stick! I sprayed hairspray in them when installing them and let them dry over night. They felt pretty good prior to the ride and weren't moving. Not until I went to hop over a 10" log anyway. I pulled up super hard and probably went about 18" in the air (still working on getting my hop height back after switching to a 29er). The left grip slipped and my hand flew off the bars! I do wish I had this on video as I have no idea how l landed without crashing or even putting a foot down. All I know is that right when I went to lift the rear wheel off the ground and pulled with my legs and started shoving the bike forward to level it out, my hand slipped right off when the grip twisted. My arm went flailing back causing a little pain in my shoulder that already has a frickn micro tear in a ligament (just got a cortisone shot in it on Friday and trying to push surgery off until late fall). I landed and swerved all over the place but managed to stay on the bike and get my hand back on the bars. I continued on with my ride but made no attempt to hop any logs after that.

Just thought I would share the experience with you guys. If you are looking for some lighter grips, I feel comfortable saying that foam grips aren't all they are cracked up to be. I believe that perhaps it was a combination of the slick carbon fiber of the bars and the lack of elesticity of the foam grips not allowing them to be tight enough around the bar. I don't think anything short of epoxy would hold these damn things on my bars at this point. So if you want to shave weight they are great and look nice in pictures but they suck out on the trail. Cost is $10 on Fairwheels site if you still think you need to give them a shot.

mtbr member
    nice review. I was looking at foam grips, but, I'm gonna stick with esi.

Low Rep Count
    Hopefully it will save someone $10!

mtbr member
    ESI chunky's! All the way!!

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    i had the kcnc's for a short time but ditched them for the same reason. i actually glued them down while i waited for different ones to arrive.
    sette's superlight foam grips came close in weight and stuck but i went back to ESI's after breaking my thumb for the comfort. plus my sponsors shop has them so there cheap.
    RAH!

mtbr member
    I dont see what the problem with the KCNC's is. My red eva's stick much better with hairspray than my previous ESI Chunkies. Have a pair of EVA's on my Dirt-Jump bike as well as my all-mountain bike and have had no throttle whatsoever. Maybe it's the hairspray...

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    better hairspray maybe?

maybe the production tolerances on the grips are poor?
    RAH!

mtbr member
    I agree.

I am using Foams, but ESI's are in my future.

Low Rep Count
    I think that the grip is just ever so slightly too large for my bars. I had them on my Race Face Next SL's and I can slide them on and off dry with no problems. I figured the hair spray would help but they simply broke free after 5 minutes of riding. Maybe I just got a bad set??? Back to my ESI's for now. Been tried and true so far and have been through two sets now and have a set of pink ones on my wifes bike. Will worry about saving weight else where at this point.

Bang for the buck, they bost one of the largest weight savings out there. I mean where else can you spend $10 and shave 30+_grams? Not a bad deal when you look at it like that but if the product does not work then it is nothing more than wasted funds!

Members who have read this thread: 0