mtbr member

Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights

Cross Post with the Norco Forum but I will have more weight details here.

Got a Norco Revolver 650b 2016 frame a couple of weeks ago and for now just weighted and pressed in the bearings. The frame is very nicely finished, and included a 3 positions Fox DSL Evolve shock.

Weight is about as advertised. I read somewhere a 1800 grams claim for a medium frame and I measured 2148 with just the porky 30 grams seat collar installed. Take away an additional 100 grams for the paint, and 200-250 for the shock and we are right around there. I shaved 2 grams from the collar with a titanium bolt, might put in titanium for the shock mounts, nylon for the bottle cage bolts ... but they could have a titanium pivot axle and bolts set to save some weight.

For bearings I used BB86 to 30MM Flanged, Dual Row PressFit 86/92 ABEC-3 Bottom Bracket. Light, at 76, although I would have preferred a PF30 and use wheels manufacturing threaded BB. Installation was a breeze with the WM press and some teflon grease. The headset is IS, no cups, so that also cuts weight (just 64 grams, for the el-cheapo Cane Creek 40). Total 5.0 pounds with seat collar, headset, bottom bracket. Not bad

Could not really stand the "Revolver", so she was officially re-baptized OLVE

Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-img_0349.jpgNorco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-img_0352.jpgNorco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-img_0351.jpgNorco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-img_0385.jpg

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Nice - looking forward to this build! Also like the detail on the bearings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Awesome! Ive been on the fence for a Revolver. Steep HA holds me back but I dont hear many complain about it. Cant wait to see it all builts up.

Bang for the buck Norco makes some great bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Awesome! Ive been on the fence for a Revolver. Steep HA holds me back but I dont hear many complain about it. Cant wait to see it all builts up.

Bang for the buck Norco makes some great bikes.
    I bought a 29er Revolver and came off a bike w/ a 67.5 HA angle and don't really think it feels too steep on challenging trails. Honestly, I think the bike makes up for it's steep HA with a long front center. It is a very confidence inspiring bike, without the dead feel the slack bikes can have at lower speeds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    I bought a 29er Revolver and came off a bike w/ a 67.5 HA angle and don't really think it feels too steep on challenging trails. Honestly, I think the bike makes up for it's steep HA with a long front center. It is a very confidence inspiring bike, without the dead feel the slack bikes can have at lower speeds.
    Thats a good point, too often we get stuck on one measurement with out taking into account the others affect it. I am going to wait for a demo day this year and try one out.

mtbr member
    Man I wish this was a 29er. Just to compare it with my non weight weenie build.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Man I wish this was a 29er. Just to compare it with my non weight weenie build.
    I'll detail the components weight enough that will be easy to compare. Ballpark if I were to build a 29 would be +100 grams for the wheels (in carbon), + 110 for the Rocket Ron 2.25, and some more grams on the fork ... so roughly half pound more.

It is going to be a little while before the next step, Fox is out of air shafts (I need a 120 for my Fox 34 150) and I'll receive it in March after I come back from Baja ... oh well ... I'll keep running my HD3 in the mean time!

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Ha - just noticed the "Olve" on the frame! Is that photo editing, or did you actually black out the graphics?

Name:  IMG_0385.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  29.7 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Ha - just noticed the "Olve" on the frame! Is that photo editing, or did you actually black out the graphics?
    Carbon vinyl! Also covered the rear triangle logo in red carbon. Not perfect and unfortunately it adds 0.37 grams A sacrifice I am willing to make

mtbr member
    Finally taking shape.

Shaving off unnecessary weight, this saves an outstanding 24 grams (!)
    Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-1.jpg
    Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-2.jpg
    Not to mention the home made head cup that falls below the detectable
    Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-16.jpg

More serious savings with the Race Face next SL G4
    Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-14.jpgNorco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-13.jpg
    Choice of pedals: XTR RACE and Xpeedo Mg platform
    Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-12.jpgNorco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-11.jpg

Chinese made saddle: $29
    Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-10.jpgNorco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-9.jpg
    and Chinese made 350 carbon seatpost $18!!! It is heavy for 350 length, the head is quite massive, but taking off the two 6mm (!) steel bolts and putting in titanium saved 7 grams.
    Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-19.jpg
    XTR Race 9000 are light!
    Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-7.jpg

Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-5.jpg

but for the rear I go with an Alligator Ashima Ai2 160
    Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-18.jpg

More stuff:
    Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-15.jpg

Went for first ride a couple of weeks ago: this bike is fast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-3.jpg  

Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-6.jpg  

Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-8.jpg  

Last edited by Davide; 03-29-2017 at 11:16 AM.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Great update - thx for all the scale shots!

Specialized
    Nice build man . Personally I would remove the vinyl if it isn't needed . Word of advice on the xpedo pedals. I have practically stopped using mine . Bushings start to squeal over time and even with fresh grease they just feel stiff . The bearings are very small and weak and the bushing is cheap . I have three sets that are now just dumped in my shed collecting corrosion .

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    What's your final weight ?

mtbr member

nice bike

wifes small weighs in at 18pounds 12 ounces
    could get a it a little lighter without breaking the bank

frame weighed 1240grams with NOTHING on it, was expecting closer to 1000 grams, especially for a small.

My XL is in the back, 21 pounds 15 ounces with a 120mm pike.
    love the ride of the 120mm instead of the 100mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-17623079_10158396902085623_1735992197_o.jpg  

If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

mtbr member
    My large full suspension Revolver weighs about that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    wifes small weighs in at 18pounds 12 ounces
    could get a it a little lighter without breaking the bank

frame weighed 1240grams with NOTHING on it, was expecting closer to 1000 grams, especially for a small.

My XL is in the back, 21 pounds 15 ounces with a 120mm pike.
    love the ride of the 120mm instead of the 100mm
    Excellent bor !

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post

Your expectations might be a bit off on that. As a random comparison, Spesh's S-Works Epic HT is 1050g, which they claim is lightest they've ever produced.

So 1000g, even on a S frame would be a pretty high (or low?) standard.

chasing simplicity
    Spesh site says Epic HT is under 900g. Not right? Or is that just for a small? I do see pics on Instagram and elsewhere of sub 900g Epics....so????
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    Spesh site says Epic HT is under 900g. Not right? Or is that just for a small? I do see pics on Instagram and elsewhere of sub 900g Epics....so????
    I'm just going from briscoelab's thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/e...c-1040825.html

His S-Works was 1050g. Now it's L, and heavily painted, so the S is likely a bit lighter for sure - can't speak to 900g though.

Specialized
    You can shave over 100grams from removing paint/decals etc and the weight difference from large to small can be around 150grams . So I think maybe 900grams could be correct .

mtbr member
    Finally done, it is 21 and change to 22 pounds depending on configuration. I splurged on the MCFK seatpost but it is a real work of industrial art. Wonderfully built. I can shave off 300 grams switching the Arch wheels for the DT XMC that are on my HD3, installing an XTR rear der, XX1 cassette.

I took it today for a good 2 hours run, 1500 feet elevation gain. The el cheapo carbon saddle is a bit on the hard side but one get surprisingly used to it. Up the hill it goes, although ONLY with the shock blue lever in the middle, put it on open and the bike just stalls on any obstacle. Down it is quite a bit (ok quite a lot) less capable than the HD3 but it is tolerable.

It is a FUN bike, probably just because it is so much less all devouring than the HD3.
    Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-21.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-img_0523.jpg  

Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-.jpg  

Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-9.jpg  

Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-16.jpg  

Last edited by Davide; 05-18-2017 at 11:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Just saved 43 grams Renthal to Lizard Skin DSI

Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-img_0530.jpg
    Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-img_0529.jpg

mtbr member
    Boom! I just shaved off a bit more than one pound, going from the Stan's wheels (1670) to the Lightbicycle Ultralight (DT Swiss centerlock/28 spokes = 1170 grams). The bike is now 20 pounds and change ... too light?
    Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights-img_0706.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Boom! I just shaved off a bit more than one pound, going from the Stan's wheels (1670) to the Lightbicycle Ultralight (DT Swiss centerlock/28 spokes = 1170 grams). The bike is now 20 pounds and change ... too light?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0706.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	1162380
    Nah, my Large Revolver is around 19 lbs. But I run it SS. Haha.

mtbr member
    Nah, my Large Revolver is around 19 lbs. But I run it SS. Haha.
    SS? And how did you get to 19 pounds? Rigid fork?

mtbr member
    SS? And how did you get to 19 pounds? Rigid fork?
    SS = Single speed. No cassette no shifter no cable. Easy to eliminate weight

mtbr member
    SS = Single speed. No cassette no shifter no cable. Easy to eliminate weight
    ah! that is cheating!!!!!!!! (and having very good lungs). Although it would be nice to see the specs ...

mtbr member
    HAHA. Yeah, a bit of cheating. I'll have to snag of photo of it later in the week on the scale.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0706.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	1162380
    Yep; too light for you.

Send the wheels to me please

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    I'm keen for feedback on your wheelset Davide. Let us know how it feels after a few rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    I'm keen for feedback on your wheelset Davide. Let us know how it feels after a few rides.
    I have now 3 rides, each my usual 1.5 hours loop in Golden Gate Park plus a Mount Sutro climb and the wheels seem just great. Very tame terrain, although Mount Sutro is rather technical on the descent (especially without a drop post! Damn, installing it on my HD3 is making me loose my technique!).

The wheels and rims are as good as they come, and compare well with the DT XMC I have. Installation of the tires was instantaneous for the back (two pumps and the tire inflated), and it took some soap water help with the front.

Riding they feel solid, but not harsh. They are more precise than the Stan's Arch I had on before, and that is a welcome difference especially downhill. Compared (by memory) to a set of Stan Crest (360 grams rims) I had on my Mojo Classic they are much more stable direction-wise and less soft ... although again, it is by memory and everything is different ...

I am out of shape (broke a foot in late August) and it is always hard to compare performance, but the Olve with this wheels really seems to accelerate quick ... you push and there she goes, even uphill and in sandy grounds.

I am a bit hesitant to smack into roots or obstacles, but that is also due to the fact that I treat the Olve a bit like a hard tail. She is no plush bike and I avoid plowing through things (it hurts!).

Overall I would give the Lightcarbon wheels an A+ after a week of use They were shipped almost immediately (there was a national holiday in between), perfectly packaged. Will see about durability but I am 70 Kg (157 pounds) right now and I doubt there will be problems.

mtbr member
    Just saved 43 grams Renthal to Lizard Skin DSI
    And back to Renthal, this time the great traction grips: Best Grip: Renthal Traction- Mtbr.com gaining close to 90 grams ... the DSI just don't really work that well for me ...