Nokian NBX lite: Mounting direction?- Mtbr.com
    hip boy

New question here. Nokian NBX lite: Mounting direction?

So, I gave a tire to a friend of mine for a big race and when he asked me what direction to mount it, I did not have a good answer.
    I mounted mine in direction A but what do other people do?

MaxXx

hip boy
    Posting image

Attached Images Attached Images

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxXx
    So, I gave a tire to a friend of mine for a big race and when he asked me what direction to mount it, I did not have a good answer.

MaxXx
    It does not really matter but "B" is the designed rotation direction.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

banned

there's an arrow....

you'll see an "arrow" if you look close enough at the writings on the sidewalls.it's right in front of the size and right in front of the Nokian name.it's not really an arrow as found on other tires but rather a sign that looks like something pointing in a direction...the rotating direction.as Shiggy already said it's direction B in your picture.
    the only difference i see in the tread is the tiny reinforcement in the back of the middle knobs.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

<---- ---->

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    you'll see an "arrow" if you look close enough at the writings on the sidewalls.it's right in front of the size and right in front of the Nokian name.it's not really an arrow as found on other tires but rather a sign that looks like something pointing in a direction...the rotating direction.as Shiggy already said it's direction B in your picture.
    the only difference i see in the tread is the tiny reinforcement in the back of the middle knobs.
    As I remember that "arrow" is printed on both sides of the tire and they point in opposite directions.
    M

Jan 2004

Mount front and rear as indicated

]
    Well, I always look at the tires for clues and then take into consideration conditions.

With my most recent set of Nokians, I looked at everything on the sidewalls which can lead to confusion, but then I noticed the tiny little "Nokians" set into the center of the tread pattern. Look closely and you can see it in the photo...

So just imagine you are sitting there with your hands on the handlebar......
    Common sense indicates you should be able read the "Nokian" from the pilot/rider position. I mean, who else is it there for?
    So, given that clue, I mounted the front tire in a way that enabled me to read the "Nokian" when peering over the handlbars ( with the bike stationary, of course).
    However I then mounted the rear tire in the opposite direction since upon turning around, while seated in the saddle, with a natural motion to look at the rear tire condition, the "Nokian" in the tread is only readable by mounting it in the opposite way. Of course this makes sense because, after all, it is a rear tire.

Nokian, allows you to use either tire in the rear position by making the little direction indicators on the sidewalls adaptable, however given this feature it can cause some confusion depending on which side of the bike you work from.
    In the future, I would hope they would include some instructions so the average rider is not confused and/or concerned about getting it right.

That being said, the tires are great. I dip out onto the road to chase roadies and while the Nokian tread does make noise, it really runs fast. I've recently run some 1.25 85 psi road slicks and these Nokians at 40 psi are almost as fast. That gives you an indication of how fast they are on the dirt.

Try some of them and its difficult to go back to a slow tire, because you always know you are being robbed of watts (energy) with every turn of the wheel.
    Last edited by Chester; 05-17-2004 at 01:03 PM. Reason: addition

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    As I remember that "arrow" is (molded) on both sides of the tire and they point in opposite directions.
    That is the way it is on my tires, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I used a Michelin Comp S that had a straight line of centre knobs that made for great rolling resistance. The close row of center knobs did not like to grip wet roots or rocks though.

Is this a problem with the nokian NBX lite? I live in beautiful (but wet) BC, Canada. Specialized Roll X tires work great in the wet here, but they are heavy and roll pretty slowly. I'd like to know if the NBX will work well for my conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There is no specified rolling direction. The question was asked at a Finnish forum a while ago and there was a reply posted by someone from the bicycle tire division at Nokian . He said that the small "supporting parts" next to the actual knobs are just for looks.

Jan 2004

"Supporting parts"

Quote Originally Posted by china
    There is no specified rolling direction. The question was asked at a Finnish forum a while ago and there was a reply posted by someone from the bicycle tire division at Nokian . He said that the small "supporting parts" next to the actual knobs are just for looks.
    I looked at my tires and in the box...but saw nothing extra. What are these "supporting parts"?

Given the attempt by the average rider to read what, at first glance, appears to be direction indicators on the sidewalls.....but what when seen from both sides contradicts itself......it would seem that Nokian would just add a little " <------->" to the sidewall to eliminate this user consternation.

They are great tires, so perhaps Nokian could make them a bit more user friendly for unsophisticated installers. I think its just a little bit of Finnish humor on the rest of the world.....laughing in the factory lunch room about all the mountain bikers trying to read the 'tea-leaves" on the side of the tires. I bet they post print-outs of these threads on their bulletin boards and howl with laughter.. :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester
    I looked at my tires and in the box...but saw nothing extra. What are these "supporting parts"?
    Heh, excuse my english, I meant those little things on the knobs that make them look asymmetrical(?). They are there just for the style, supposed to look nicer or something.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004