Nino how are your Exustar Ti pedals?- Mtbr.com
    Ex-Gunslinger

Nino how are your Exustar Ti pedals?

Nino have you tried out your Exustar Ti pedals yet? ...I'm wondering how easy they are to unclip compared to your eggbeaters. I'm looking for something that requires less twist to unclip (less float? not a tension problem) than my eggs and being crazy light is a nice bonus. Before anyone mentions mud its almost always hot and dry here so its not a issue for me.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika
    Nino have you tried out your Exustar Ti pedals yet? ...I'm wondering how easy they are to unclip compared to your eggbeaters. I'm looking for something that requires less twist to unclip (less float? not a tension problem) than my eggs and being crazy light is a nice bonus. Before anyone mentions mud its almost always hot and dry here so its not a issue for me.
    perfect!

i tried them and have to say they are perfect. you can compare them to the XTR pedal. i haven't done lots of miles though since on my actual Sidi shoes i have the eggbeater cleat. i had to use my really worn out pair of old Sidis where i mounted a SPD cleat. over here in switzerland mud is an issue but the pedals do great also in the muck. i have friends riding them too and they are all positive. one guy is selling his Xpedos right away after trying the Exustar...he says they're 100% better.

i'm already having a guy doing a tuning-kit for these pedals.with some Al-bolts it will weigh just 190g-195g. that will be a killer value! going all-out 188g are possible. the retention plate of the spring adjuster bolt is steel. out of Al this will save another 5g. and there's the nut that holds the body on the axle which is also steel....i will show my tuned version when it's ready. i will offer these in a limited quantity in the classifieds just as i do with the standard version now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ex-Gunslinger

Release angle?

Do you know what the release angle is? I can't find the spec's on the Exustar site.
    Last edited by Laika; 08-18-2005 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Laika
    Do you know what the release angle is? I can find the spec's on the Exustar site.

Nino-

I saw some of these on ebay. Are you selling them on there? 99.00 on ebay is a great deal for these things if that's so. How much are you selling them for? You can e-mail or PM me if you'd like. Thanks.

I just hijacked this thread. Sorry. I'll do a search.

Ex-Gunslinger
    Quote Originally Posted by protocol_droid
    Nino-

I saw some of these on ebay. Are you selling them on there? 99.00 on ebay is a great deal for these things if that's so. How much are you selling them for? You can e-mail or PM me if you'd like. Thanks.

I just hijacked this thread. Sorry. I'll do a search.
    Nino has them listed in the classified section here at mtbr.

Boj
    mtbr member
    Nino, could you post your ad? Also do they come in a "heavy", less expensive version?
    If in doubt - pedal harder!!!

banned

link...

Quote Originally Posted by Boj
    Nino, could you post your ad? Also do they come in a "heavy", less expensive version?
    it isn't that hard to find it:
    classifieds...pedals...voilĂ*:

sorry - i have just the Ti-version.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

mtbr member
    I just bought two sets from nino for me and a friend
    Couple of weeks ago I hat the Xpedo Mag/Ti version mounted, but I sold them soon after, didn?t even try them out
    the were looking too weak and the german forum hat a lot of problems with this pedal

mtbr member

How does the Exustar entry and exit feel compared to Shimano 959's using Shimano cleats?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    How does the Exustar entry and exit feel compared to Shimano 959's using Shimano cleats?
    Flip*, I just got a pair of these pedals through Nino for my fixie so that the 959s on there can go onto my SS, I'm very impressed with them. I use 959s on all my bikes, except the three with flats , so that I can use the same shoes and cleats and jump onto any bike. The Exustars, as well as being incredibly light, have an excellent engagement/disengagement feel and have a similar float to the 959s, whatever that is.

I love the 959s and will keep using them on other bikes but these are an incredible upgrade. Just dial in the springs out of the box and you'll get a very positive engagement and release. I use the shimano cleats in my m180 shoes and comparing a new set to the exustar cleats, I can't see any difference at all. I'd say they come from the same place.

FYI, these pedals and a WCS stem arrived with the same femailman and conspired to take 350g off the bike in one fell swoop, it's now around 16.5lbs and has another pound still to go this week.

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

STS
    mtbr member
    Nino, don't you think AL bolts are too fragile for that purpose, in case of hit to a rock? wouldn't it be safer in titanium?
    f.ex in http://www.titaniumfasteners.com they make at the size you want...

mtbr member
    I agree, I wouldn't be using aluminium there...

Do they have rocks on European courses? Switzerland seemed to have plenty of rocks when I went there to renew my 90 day visa (a godsend for Australian travellers) but given the bikes constructed to ride in Europe, I daresay the trails go around them.

- Joel

banned

no stress on bolts...

Quote Originally Posted by tomacropod
    I agree, I wouldn't be using aluminium there...

Do they have rocks on European courses? Switzerland seemed to have plenty of rocks when I went there to renew my 90 day visa (a godsend for Australian travellers) but given the bikes constructed to ride in Europe, I daresay the trails go around them.

- Joel
    well - those bolts aren't neither exposed nor do they get stressed. all they do is hold the cleat mechanism. so the only tension they have to withstand is that of the tension spring...
    i really don't see a problem for Al-bolts at all.

anyway - i still haven't got such a tuningkit yet. i sure will test such bolts before selling them to others.

STS
    mtbr member
    I know they are not directly exposed, but the cleat mechanism is, so if you hit a rock, maybe they can cut the AL bolt...
    And also there is the wearing the mechanism makes to the bolt when rotates

Ex-Gunslinger
    I picked up a set of these a couple of weeks ago, I like the release action much better than my eggs. Good price as well. I don't think I'd go for an alloy or Ti bolt kit, I think that would start me down an expensive and obsessive trail of weight weenie'ism

mtbr member
    What cleats to they use? The std shimano/wellgo stuff?

Ex-Gunslinger
    Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese
    What cleats to they use? The std shimano/wellgo stuff?
    Yes they use SPD cleats

http://www.exustar.com/pm25ti.htm

mtbr member
    and unlike many other pedals purporting to use cleats identical to the shimanos, these actually do.

- Joel