A newbie with a thought- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

A newbie with a thought

Any one else ride a gutted saddle? I did it today to my old selle italla c2 saddle; removed the leather and foam. I got a bonie ass and it really doesn't ride that bad. just my 2 cents

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by turtleshuffle
    Any one else ride a gutted saddle? I did it today to my old selle italla c2 saddle; removed the leather and foam. I got a bonie ass and it really doesn't ride that bad. just my 2 cents
    Sounds like some of the old plastic BMX racing seats I had back in the 80's. Not very comfortable to sit on, but for a kid who didn't know any better and on a bike that was ridden mostly standing on the pedals, the hard seat was ok. I don't think I would want one now though...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I remember those seats! If i'm not mistaken, I believe they were called Uni's...
    Last edited by jakeplazma; 09-25-2005 at 11:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    We're showing our age here. Yeah, just about everyone I knew who had that seat including me broke at least one! It wasn't hard to do either. They definitely were not durable. But the cool factor...

ballbuster

Uni! I had one of those!

Quote Originally Posted by jakeplazma
    I remember those seats! If i'm not mistaken, I believe they were called Uno's...
    My early weight weenie days!

I remember that fiberglass seatpost that was bonded to it as well. I also remember a bud slipping a pedal on his bike and breaking it off, jamming the post in the back of his leg.

I also had a Viscount Aero saddle. That was comfy.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDesertRider
    Sounds like some of the old plastic BMX racing seats I had back in the 80's. Not very comfortable to sit on, but for a kid who didn't know any better and on a bike that was ridden mostly standing on the pedals, the hard seat was ok. I don't think I would want one now though...
    Better yet, the Cinelli Unicator (sp) and Ideal (sp) 2001. Both from the '70s/early'80s. Thin flexible plastic shell, no padding, leather cover (except for the 'cross versions of the Cinelli; bare plastic shell in black, red, blue or yellow), steel rails. I have a couple of the Ideals. Weighs around 230g IIRC. Comfortable, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Just passing through....
    Because the covering on the SLR Ti is so fragile, there have been several people posting here that have taken the cover off when it became too damaged and used the saddle with just the hard shell. Comments were that that the shell was very slippery, but useable. They said that there was little if any difference in the comfort, as the shell had flex to it. I'm planning on trying that when mine wears out. If you try a search, you might find the threads and pics.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yep, i did it too my flite saddle, cut quite a bit of weight out of it.

Didnt like it too start but the other month i did a 6hr race on it and it wasnt ''too'' bad.

Members who have read this thread: 0