New wheelset, need some opinions.- Mtbr.com
    Alright, let's ride!

New wheelset, need some opinions.

I am seriously considering purchasing a new wheelset from Mike Garcia but would like to get some opinions before I place the order. These will be used for race only, probably less than 20 times a year.

WTB Laser Disc Light hubs (145 g front, 260 g rear)
    Stans ZTR355 Disc Rims (345 g each)
    DTSwiss SuperComp spokes (320 g total)
    Aluminum Nipples (22 grams)
    Yellow rim tape (10 grams)

Tota weight - 1447 grams

Does this sound like a pretty nice race wheelset?

My other option is a set of American Classic MTB 350 disc wheels. Anyone have any opinions on these or a decent comparison between the two wheelsets?

Oh, I am currently running a Magura disc pro wheelset. It is built with Hugi 240 hubs, 317 rims. Hopefully there will be a noticable difference in weight between the two sets.
    Last edited by LowCel; 08-01-2005 at 07:46 AM.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

related recall

have you seen this:

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/wcsrecall/

I have a wheelset with WTB LDL hubs built by Mike. I have raced them for a year. They have been very good, but now that they are requiring service for bearings and freehub body I have decided that my next hubs will be DTSwiss or CK. The weight savings of Stans excellent rim offsets the small (approx. 20g) weight gain for the DTSwiss hubs.

Supercomps might be a bit light, depending on your riding, considering the torque limit of 95kg on Stans rim.

Does Stan recommend the yellow tape for the original rim, the olympic rim or both?

Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    I am seriously considering purchasing a new wheelset from Mike Garcia but would like to get some opinions before I place the order. These will be used for race only, probably less than 20 times a year.

WTB Laser Disc Light hubs (145 g front, 260 g rear)
    Stans ZTR355 Disc Rims (345 g each)
    DTSwiss SuperComp spokes (320 g total)
    Aluminum Nipples (22 grams)
    Yellow rim tape (10 grams)

Tota weight - 1447 grams

Does this sound like a pretty nice race wheelset?

My other option is a set of American Classic MTB 350 disc wheels. Anyone have any opinions on these or a decent comparison between the two wheelsets?

Oh, I am currently running a Magura disc pro wheelset. It is built with Hugi 240 hubs, 317 rims. Hopefully there will be a noticable difference in weight between the two sets.
    M

Alright, let's ride!
    On Stan's website he lists the tape for the ZTR355 and the Olympic rim.

As for the recall I'm aware of it. That is just for the new design American Classic hubs though (first released in January I believe). The WTB hubs are still the older version of the American Classic hubs.

As for the DTSwiss hubs they are awesome. I have had 4 or 5 sets of them so far with no problems. I did split the rear hub all the way across last year though. DTSwiss replaced it no questions asked.

mtbr member
    i could get wtb hubs through a sponsorship for half off, would it be worth it, do the hubs still have the old ac problems? thanks
    -mpap

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Recently asked the same question myself. What I've been able to find out is the WTB is the previous version, and it doesn't have the same pattern of failures that the newer AC hubs have had.

I'm about to build up a WTB rear hub in the near future so I'll see.

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    have you seen this:

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/wcsrecall/

I have a wheelset with WTB LDL hubs built by Mike. I have raced them for a year. They have been very good, but now that they are requiring service for bearings and freehub body I have decided that my next hubs will be DTSwiss or CK. The weight savings of Stans excellent rim offsets the small (approx. 20g) weight gain for the DTSwiss hubs.

Supercomps might be a bit light, depending on your riding, considering the torque limit of 95kg on Stans rim.

Does Stan recommend the yellow tape for the original rim, the olympic rim or both?
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a set of WTB LDL w/717s built by Mike about 16 months ago. 1557g. Just sending the rear back now for a hub issue. They have been ridden maybe 1500 miles, raced, ridden on rocky stuff, 2' drops. etc.

Whether you buy the LDL or something else, Mike is the guy to deal with.

mtbr member
    Go with a set of DT Swiss classics. They are light, stiff but a little pricey but worth the money.

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl
    Go with a set of DT Swiss classics. They are light, stiff but a little pricey but worth the money.
    Looked at their website, didn't see them there. I did see the XR1540. With Stan's rim Strips they would weigh a claimed 1640 grams for the set. That is pretty much 200 grams heavier than my other options.

Keep in mind, I already have a reasonably light and reliable wheelset. The new wheelset is for race only. If it doesn't save a good bit of weight there is no reason for me to waste the money.

mtbr member
    Looked at their website, didn't see them there. I did see the XR1540. With Stan's rim Strips they would weigh a claimed 1640 grams for the set. That is pretty much 200 grams heavier than my other options.

Keep in mind, I already have a reasonably light and reliable wheelset. The new wheelset is for race only. If it doesn't save a good bit of weight there is no reason for me to waste the money.
    Ok, then try FRM or Spada. The FRM's are the lightest wheelset as they claim. The Spada's use carbon hubs.

ballbuster

I still don't get it

If Stan's uses 60g of goop and a 20-30g rim strip, is that really saving weight over a Lunar Lite innertube at 90g? ...Or at least saving more weight to overcome the hassle of dealing with the whole tubeless thing?

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    If Stan's uses 60g of goop and a 20-30g rim strip, is that really saving weight over a Lunar Lite innertube at 90g? ...Or at least saving more weight to overcome the hassle of dealing with the whole tubeless thing?
    It's worth it to me to not have to worry about getting flats. Using Stan's I have only had one flat in 2 1/2 years. That flat was actually my own fault. I allowed the sealant to dry up and did not add any more to the tire.

Also, with Stan's new rims there is no need to add the rim strip. The yellow tape only weighs 5 grams per wheel.

Alright, let's ride!
    I know it's an old thread but just wanted to post that I finally ordered my wheelset. I ended up going with the American Classic Disc 350 wheelset. I just couldn't pass it up, American Classic was offering an Interbike special on top of the regular employee purchase price.

Anyway, now I just need to order a new cassette, stan's strips and some new tires. This wheelset will be used for race day only so I am wanting to keep it pretty light but I still need some decent tires. I want light tires with low rolling resistance but they have to do well in some rocks and roots which are pretty common here in West Virginia.

Appreciate any input on the tires.

No longer 26

Racing Ralphs in various sizes...

I know it's an old thread but just wanted to post that I finally ordered my wheelset. I ended up going with the American Classic Disc 350 wheelset. I just couldn't pass it up, American Classic was offering an Interbike special on top of the regular employee purchase price.

Anyway, now I just need to order a new cassette, stan's strips and some new tires. This wheelset will be used for race day only so I am wanting to keep it pretty light but I still need some decent tires. I want light tires with low rolling resistance but they have to do well in some rocks and roots which are pretty common here in West Virginia.

Appreciate any input on the tires.

I like the 2.4 f 2.25 r combo that I have been using for about a year. Unfortunatley knee surgery has not allowed me to really wear them much but I really like them in rocky rooty areas. Have only used in dry or tacky/slightly wet trials. Not is real wet conditions though I will because I hate changing tires.

Greg

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    I like the 2.4 f 2.25 r combo that I have been using for about a year. Unfortunatley knee surgery has not allowed me to really wear them much but I really like them in rocky rooty areas. Have only used in dry or tacky/slightly wet trials. Not is real wet conditions though I will because I hate changing tires.

Greg
    I don't even think tires that large would fit my bike. I was thinking more along the lines of 1.9 to 2.1's. Keep in mind weight is a factor on this wheelset.

I already have a nice all around wheelset with Continental Escape and Explorer 2.1's. I also have another wheelset that is designated for mud (need to replace those tires as well though).

This wheelset will be used on both my bikes, an Ellsworth Enlightenment and an Ellsworth Truth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    so do you want strictly low weight/race only wheelset or a light use for everything wheelset?

If its the latter, why not take your DT Hugi hubs and have them built with the stan's rims. Will be much more reliable, and not that much heavier.

Alright, let's ride!
    Actually I want three wheelsets. I am keeping my hugi 240 / 317 wheelset for every day use. The XT / 717 wheelset that I already have is going to continue to be my mud wheelset and for more extremely rooty, rocky rides (such as slatyfork, wv). The American Classics are going to be race day only wheels.

I have already ordered the new wheels so there really is no reason to change my hugi wheelset. They have been around for three years now, I think I can still get another year or two out of them.

Alright, let's ride!
    I got the new wheelset last night and I was pleasantly suprised. It actually weighs less than advertised. The rear wheel weighs 797 grams, the front wheel weighs 696 grams. Total weight is 1493 grams, 10 grams less than the claimed 1503 grams. The chrome skewers that came with the wheelset weighs 103 grams. I plan on replacing them with either the performance ti skewers that I have that weigh 84 grams or some bolt on skewers. I haven't decided yet.

Anyway, here are some pics.

Front wheel

Rear wheel

Rear hub

Wheelset

I'm still not sure what tires I'm going to run. I am thinking about going back to the Tioga Red Phoenix 1.9's.