New weight weenie item for disc brake users- Mtbr.com
    NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004

New weight weenie item for disc brake users

FYI guys and girls - Kool Stop is now making select disc brake pads with aluminum backing plates instead of steel. They've got Hayes Mag, XTR, and Avid Juicy/Mechanical pads with the new backing plates available and the El Camino and B4 pads are supposed to follow.

The weight savings is between 8 and 9 grams per pair which is easy and cheap weight savings especially if you are due for new pads anyway.
    Please do not use the forum PM or e-mail function for business related questions. I can be contacted through our website. Thanks!

NoTubes.com

chips & bier

I'm going to be silly about this, but

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B.
    FYI guys and girls - Kool Stop is now making select disc brake pads with aluminum backing plates instead of steel. They've got Hayes Mag, XTR, and Avid Juicy/Mechanical pads with the new backing plates available and the El Camino and B4 pads are supposed to follow.

The weight savings is between 8 and 9 grams per pair which is easy and cheap weight savings especially if you are due for new pads anyway.
    Wasn't the aluminium backing plate the big PROBLEM with Shimano XTR brakes, and the reason Shimano came out with the M06S steel plate version? I've seen numerous aluminium plates warped significantly after some abuse.

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Wasn't the aluminium backing plate the big PROBLEM with Shimano XTR brakes, and the reason Shimano came out with the M06S steel plate version? I've seen numerous aluminium plates warped significantly after some abuse.
    Don't know. The problems I saw with XTR brakes when they first came out was more related to the pistons and tolerance issues. Haven't used any of these new Kool Stops myself so I can't comment on warping either.
    Please do not use the forum PM or e-mail function for business related questions. I can be contacted through our website. Thanks!

NoTubes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    they should make the backing plates out of some sort of ceramic composite

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eurorider
    they should make the backing plates out of some sort of ceramic composite
    Ceramic composite wouldn't do a very good job of dispersing heat. That would be the worst choice (besides paper mache`, obviously).

freak of nature

Marta's pads ?

Any ideas if they're gonna make some for the Magura Martas ?

Thanks,
    Jean-Seb
    2004 Giant XTC Custom
    2001 Giant Boulder HD
    2000 Devinci Chili Pepper (frame only)
    1993 Proflex 853 (frame only)
    1988 Kuwahara ProStar
    1982 Peugeot Record Du Monde (fixed gear)
    1980 Raleigh Sprite (restoration)

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jean-seb
    Any ideas if they're gonna make some for the Magura Martas ?

Thanks,
    Jean-Seb
    not likely since Martas rely on the plates being magnetic

NoTubes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd
    Ceramic composite wouldn't do a very good job of dispersing heat. That would be the worst choice (besides paper mache`, obviously).
    A number of high end race motorcycle and car caliper pistons are either a ceramic, or use a ceramic heat shield. It stops the brake fluid from being superheated and boiling

Of course the big problem with pads would be bonding the friction material to a ceramic backing plate, let alone the cost on a disposable part....
    weight weenie in remission

freak of nature
    not likely since Martas rely on the plates being magnetic

Thanks for correcting me, I forgot this little important detail !

Good day !
    Jean-Seb
    2004 Giant XTC Custom
    2001 Giant Boulder HD
    2000 Devinci Chili Pepper (frame only)
    1993 Proflex 853 (frame only)
    1988 Kuwahara ProStar
    1982 Peugeot Record Du Monde (fixed gear)
    1980 Raleigh Sprite (restoration)

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

duh on me...

Quote Originally Posted by rick
    A number of high end race motorcycle and car caliper pistons are either a ceramic, or use a ceramic heat shield. It stops the brake fluid from being superheated and boiling

Of course the big problem with pads would be bonding the friction material to a ceramic backing plate, let alone the cost on a disposable part....

My bad, you are indeed correct. I had a brain fart or something. Pretty much every other part on a disc brake is meant to rapidly dissipate heat, but the backing plate is supposed to keep that heat from reaching the fluid to keep it from expanding.

Maybe a reusable ceramic backing plate that attached to a thin stainless steel backing plate that would be part of the replaceable brake pads. Hmmmm....

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Formula too.

Quote Originally Posted by rick
    Formula's been using ceramic pistons for several years now. It makes it possible to use metallic pads on XC-brakes even for heavy users on alpine descents. It makes a HUGE difference compared to aluminum pistons.

Ole.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd
    My bad, you are indeed correct. I had a brain fart or something. Pretty much every other part on a disc brake is meant to rapidly dissipate heat, but the backing plate is supposed to keep that heat from reaching the fluid to keep it from expanding.

Maybe a reusable ceramic backing plate that attached to a thin stainless steel backing plate that would be part of the replaceable brake pads. Hmmmm....
    Sounds like a good idea, except it's probably too complicated for what they're going to be used for.

Members who have read this thread: 0