NEW sub-21lb XC hardtail for less than $5500?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

NEW sub-21lb XC hardtail for less than $5500?

Using the Cannondale Taurine Team as my basis ($5500, 20.7lbs, medium frame), I was wondering what options are out there for a NEW bike at the same weight for less $$$. I'd consider building a bike up from scratch if the parts required are easily available new from reputable vendors (no eBay, Craigslist, etc - I want a warranty). I just got into XC racing and would like to start planning well ahead for a new bike since it will take some time to convince/butter up the wife Thanks!
    Last edited by fueledbymetal; 03-14-2008 at 04:50 AM.

himom!
    Apr 2006

1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005
    www.pedalforce.com

Frame is the MT and you can build it up with XTR, Easton and Ritchey for Sub-total: $4063.38
    Total Weight: 20.865 lb / 9.464kg

Now this is with their parts so you could do lighter wheels and forks and be under 20 for around $4300

LA CHÈVRE
    I'd just go with the Taurine, light enough stock but can get lighter if you want, it feels great with the added stiffness of the Lefty and Hollowgram SL cranks, the frame itself is stiff too but the stays design makes for a very confortable ride.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

More than somewhat.
    Get the Taurine. Good luck finding one though.

(unless you are in Europe)

mtbr member
    Wow, that bikesdirect deal is smoking!

I just came across the Orbea Alma - 21lbs for $4500.

I've bought 3 cannondales from my lbs in the last year, so maybe they'll be a little flexible with the pricing when I'm ready to buy. I'd like to support them if at all possible.

More than somewhat.
    The Bikesdirect deal is pretty good price-wise. You'd be getting the exact opposite of a Cannondale though. Noodley frame, noodley fork, cheap parts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    how bout a scott scale 10 they retail for 6000 20.4lbs, shop around u can get one for less then 55 or a scale 15 there like 4800, have a few extra bucks left over and swap out some parts, if ya want try a 29er i have my superfly at 21.2 and i only have about 4200 in it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I think Orbea and Scott are very much overpriced. Taurine is sweet, but very expensive. With current exchange rate, my LBS here in Luxembourg gets over $9k for top Taurine!

That Motobecane Fly looks great for the money. Of course, the SID is not the stiffest fork, but that could be swapped easily for much less than $3000. A friend bought a Motobecane full-Dura Ace aluminum road bike for less than Dura Ace group price, and he loves it. He had planned to swap the build kit to his Litespeed and eBay the frame, but he prefers the Motobecane bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i was just surfin around and seen the fuji team sl , retail 3400 and they are claming 20.8lbs, dont look 2 bad,

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    boy you guys do like to do this the hard way... you can build an XC race bike from scratch for under 21 pounds and under $1500. Might not say Scott or Orbea or Fuji or Cannondale on the decals but its still easily accomplished.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by topfuel98
    i was just surfin around and seen the fuji team sl , retail 3400 and they are claming 20.8lbs, dont look 2 bad,

Fuji is a nice bike
    But 1lb heavier than the Fly Team Ti
    less expensive components than the Fly Team Ti

But the real question is CF frame vs Ti
    which do you prefer for durablity and ride

And than there is the savings of about $1200

Here is the Fly being used in the Adventure Bike Nationals

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    boy you guys do like to do this the hard way... you can build an XC race bike from scratch for under 21 pounds and under $1500. Might not say Scott or Orbea or Fuji or Cannondale on the decals but its still easily accomplished.
    Ok, let's hear it. What frame, fork, etc?

I've got a budgetlight hardtail as one of the bikes in my project series right now, when its done I'll post it. But my last budgetlight HT was 22.7 Ibs for $750 cdn four years ago (when the dollar was worth about 70 cents US, not the $1.02US its worth now) and that was using a frame that weighed more than 4 pounds.
    Last edited by DeeEight; 03-15-2008 at 05:15 PM.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005
    I would love to see the build list and price paid for each part for the last build and this build.

Very interested.

The last one has a thread...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=32152

My last budgetlight build was a $900cdn/28.6 pound dual-disc equipped full suspension (which made it exactly the same weight as a rocky mountain element 50 costing more than 3 times as much)...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=292146

A Real Winner.
    $5500 and sub 21 pounds doesn't seem hard to do at all. I mean, $5500 is a pretty big budget, and will buy you pretty much anything you want short of the uber-riduclous bikes from the big guys.

As for frames, I'm go with a KHS Alite Team or a Voodoo Bokor, throw an XTR or SRAM XO kit on there, a RockShox Sid, and some NoTubes wheels with AC hubs, guaranteed under 21 pounds, and probably under $5000.

Now, if you said budget hardtail under 21 pounds and under $1000, then that would be a challenge!
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

No longer 26
    For $5500.00 I'd buy a stock GF Superfly and swap parts until desired weight and $ is spent. I think a couple of sub 21# Superflys can be found on the 29er board.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

After I finish my current uberlight budget build I'll probably do another sub-1000 job one.

A Real Winner.
    Sub $1000 and sub 20 pounds. . .Let's see it! The bar has been set
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a 20.3 pound Scott Scale 20 that I spent under $2800 canadian for everything including only 3 upgrades! and I still have a heavy Fox fork, and Xt crankset... swap those peices out and I'll be under 19 pounds.

It's more then possible to accomplish this goal!

under $1000, I don't know how anyone could do it!

well like i said, eliminate the brand name silliness and its doable. There are plenty of 3.25 (or less) Al frames around a couple hundred online, either dealer direct from the bay, or mail-order house brands. You can find deals on nice light hubs, rims, cranksets, shifters, derailleurs, everything... just don't focus on XTR this and DuraAce that and Titanium those and you can do it fairly cheaply. Spinner Aeris Sport forks can be had for a couple hundred brand new and they're 3.1 pounders.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Spinner Aeris Sport forks are nice! where can I buy one for a couple hundred dollars?

mtbr member
    I am in the process of building a budget light fully ridgid MTB with mostly new parts. I am aiming for under 20 pounds for about $650 including all shipping fees. I started with an 18" Access Alu frame for $89 at 3.5lbs actual. The fork which is still on its way is $60 shipped ridgid Alu at about 1.5lbs. I have way more parts already but I'll post it in a new thread later on.

My current uberlight build is using a NOS litech magnesium frame that ran me all of about $140 brand new off the bay (with shipping), and a slightly used RST XMO 02 SL fork that cost me $50 which suits its geometry closely (designed for about an 80mm, the XMO is 76) and damn light at 3.2 Ibs for the dollars. The frame is a half ounce under 3 pounds itself. So right there you have an indication of how cheap and light you can do something.

As to the spinner aeris sport question...

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-White-Spinn...QQcmdZViewItem

Members who have read this thread: 0