mtbr member
    Mar 2005

the new light weight arrivals...

I've been working on getting these two bikes together for a couple of months and I'm finally done. I'm not too sure of the weight of the Titus but the shop scale said it was 23lbs. The Scott is 15.3 lbs. Nothing too crazy on the parts specs except for the ExtraLight cranks and post on the Titus and the Zero Gravity brakes on the Scott. The Titus wheels are Stans Olympics w/ XTR hubs. The Scott's wheels are the Mavic Ksyrium ES. These are my new race bikes. I've got an older Racer-X for training and a Specialized E5 for training. Hope you all like em'. undefined
    Attached Images Attached Images

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by grogers
    I've been working on getting these two bikes together for a couple of months and I'm finally done. I'm not too sure of the weight of the Titus but the shop scale said it was 23lbs. The Scott is 15.3 lbs. Nothing too crazy on the parts specs except for the ExtraLight cranks and post on the Titus and the Zero Gravity brakes on the Scott. The Titus wheels are Stans Olympics w/ XTR hubs. The Scott's wheels are the Mavic Ksyrium ES. These are my new race bikes. I've got an older Racer-X for training and a Specialized E5 for training. Hope you all like em'. undefined
    Wow. Nice bikes! Did you get them both at the same time?

Lets see the 'training' bikes!

mtbr member
    Nice rides! Both look like very solid, smart builds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Wow. Nice bikes! Did you get them both at the same time?

Lets see the 'training' bikes!
    Thanks!

I got the Titus frame in April and have been piecing it together since then. It took a while to get the ExtraLite parts and I really wanted to wait for that Bontrager stem and bars. The Scott was ordered as a deal thru my local cycling team and was kind of a spur of the moment decision although I was in need of a new roadie and I really wanted to switch from aluminium to carbon. What a smooth ride....

Trail rider and racer
    Great bikes builds. Not a big fan of the K's but still at that finished weight you gotta be happy thats for sure.
    Trev!

Trail rider and racer
    Could you verify the weight of the Bonty MTB stem?
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Could you verify the weight of the Bonty MTB stem?

Trevor, I would like to have posted the weights of each component individually but I don't own a gram scale and to be honest, I'm not one to take the time needed to do that. I went with what I felt was a solid "race" build and didn't let weight become a major concern. I did however, try to save weight with the cranks and wheels. The Bontrager stem and XXX Lite bars were a couple of components I wanted just because of the huge bling factor and they also happen to be strong and reasonably light.

Trail rider and racer
    Trevor, I would like to have posted the weights of each component individually but I don't own a gram scale and to be honest, I'm not one to take the time needed to do that. I went with what I felt was a solid "race" build and didn't let weight become a major concern. I did however, try to save weight with the cranks and wheels. The Bontrager stem and XXX Lite bars were a couple of components I wanted just because of the huge bling factor and they also happen to be strong and reasonably light.
    No worries. I tend not to weigh either. Like you I'd quite like that stem not only for functional reasons but because its quite aesthetically pleasing.

Again nice builds!
    Trev!

mtbr member

Bonty Stem Weight

I Weighed My 100 Stem At 146gms More Than I Expected. But That Is Big Chunk Of Carbon!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

extralite crank on your racer-x

i'm looking for a extralite crank...where did you get yours and how long did you wait?
    my height is 5' 7.5" with inseam of 30...should i benefit getting a 172 or 175?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i'm a big fan of the Scott CR1 roadbike. a great platform for a real weight-weenie machine; the 0G brakes are nice (which i don't have, but envy). the Ksyrium ES wheelset i run on my Giant, and find them stiff and robust enough for daily use; look fanstastic too.

great stuff. enjoy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by akazan
    i'm looking for a extralite crank...where did you get yours and how long did you wait?
    my height is 5' 7.5" with inseam of 30...should i benefit getting a 172 or 175?

I ordered it from www.Lightbikes.com and it took about 2 months to be delivered but that was only because the cranks were just released and there were some issues w/ customs. From what I hear, Giovani from Light Bikes has the customs problems ironed out and I would think that the cranks are more available now. Your question about the arm length has me thinking-- Normally I'd say go w/ the 175mm arms unless you're really short and a weaker rider. You're not really short and because you're checking out the forums I'd assume you're not just an average rider. If I'm correct, go w/ the 175's. You'll get more power and if you hate the cranks you'll have much better resale.

mtbr member
    Nice build! How do you like your wheelset? I'd like to upgrade mine to tubeless and have the same (XTR) hubs. I've got a couple different rims in mind with the ZTR Olympics at the top of the list. I'd love to know what your thoughts are with them.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

amazing...

I've been running CrossMaxes for years so I'm used to tubeless but the Olympic wheel set is amazing. It's light and quick. I'm running Stan's rim strip in them as well. A lot of people say to just eliminate the rim strip and save another 80g per wheel but with the strip I can change tires without needing a compressor to get the bead to hook up-- I just use my floor pump! I had mine built by Dave Thomas (www.speeddream.com). He does a great professional build. They feel much lighter and more nimble than the CrossMaxes.

mtbr member

sweet road calipers...custom cnc?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

nope, mfg by Zero Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by misctwo
    sweet road calipers...custom cnc?
    Zero Gravity

mtbr member

Bonty stem/bar

Although not the absolute lightest out there, the high-end bontrager controls are top notch. I've been using the bar on the MTB for about a year and the stem on the roadie for a little less than a year. Very impressed! The rep told me that they have yet to break one of their bars!
    Sweet bikes and smart builds
    XC

Members who have read this thread: 0