New Frame or complete bike, what would you do?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Frame or complete bike, what would you do?

Since this board seems a bit dead now I thought I might post a problem I may be having.

I have been offered a pretty good deal on a new 2004 Fuel 100...either the frame or a complete bike as I want spec'd.

I am trying to decide if I get a Trek, do I purchase the frame only and put all my current components on it and sell my Titus Racer X as a frame only? Or do I buy a complete bike, swap around components that I want from each and sell the Racer X as a whole? Obviously it would be easier to just order the frameset, but with the goal of a sub 23lb FS w/ disc.....any thoughts or suggestions.

My components are as follows: (I'll list only the main items) My main concern is to stay with Disc Brakes and a tubless rim.
    Bottom Bracket: Action Tec Titanium 113mm 141
    Brakes: Formula B4SL+ 650
    Cassette: Shimano XT 9 speed 11/32 260
    Crankset: FSA Carbon Pro w/ Sugino/Action Tec Ti rings 603 grams Derlr (Front) Shimano XT 123
    Derlr (Rear) 2003 SRAM X.O 207
    Fork: 2003 Fox F80RLT 1554
    Frame: 2003 Titus Racer X (LG) with Titanium Bolt Kit 2687
    Handlebar: Maxm 135
    Headset: Chris King 111
    Selle Italia SLR 135
    Seatpost: Maxm 200
    Shifters: SRAM 9.0 180
    Stem: Extralite Ultra Stem 120mm x4 112
    Wheelset: Chris King/Mavic3.1/Sapim CX-Ray 1796

The Fuel 100 with V-brakes is as Follows:
    FORK: RockShox SID World Cup
    WHEELS: Bontrager Race X Lite
    SHIFTERS: Shimano XTR
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano XTR
    REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano XTR
    CRANKSET: Shimano XTR 44/32/22
    CASSETTE: Shimano XTR 11-34, 9 speed
    SADDLE: San Marco Aspide Team, Titanium/leather
    SEATPOST: Bontrager Race XXX Lite
    HANDLEBARS: Bontrager Race XXX Lite
    STEM: Bontrager Race XXX Lite, 7 degree
    HEADSET: Cane Creek S-6 Aheadset
    BRAKESET: Avid SD Ultimate w/Shimano XTR levers

The Fuel 100 with XTR Disc is as Follows:
    Wheels: Bontrager Mustang rims, Shimano XTR 28H hubs
    Saddle: Selle San Marco ASPide, Ti
    Seatpost: Bontrager Triple X Lite Carbon
    Handlebar: Bontrager Triple X Lite
    Stem: Bontrager Triple X Lite
    Headset: Cane Creek S-6, 1-1/8" AHS
    Shifters: Shimano XTR
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR
    Crankset: Shimano XTR 44/32/22
    Cassette: Shimano XTR 11-34, 9spd
    Brakeset: Shimano XTR, hydraulic disc

KMan

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    Since this board seems a bit dead now I thought I might post a problem I may be having.

I have been offered a pretty good deal on a new 2004 Fuel 100...either the frame or a complete bike as I want spec'd.

I am trying to decide if I get a Trek, do I purchase the frame only and put all my current components on it and sell my Titus Racer X as a frame only? Or do I buy a complete bike, swap around components that I want from each and sell the Racer X as a whole? Obviously it would be easier to just order the frameset, but with the goal of a sub 23lb FS w/ disc.....any thoughts or suggestions.

My components are as follows: (I'll list only the main items) My main concern is to stay with Disc Brakes and a tubless rim.
    Bottom Bracket: Action Tec Titanium 113mm 141
    Brakes: Formula B4SL+ 650
    Cassette: Shimano XT 9 speed 11/32 260
    Crankset: FSA Carbon Pro w/ Sugino/Action Tec Ti rings 603 grams Derlr (Front) Shimano XT 123
    Derlr (Rear) 2003 SRAM X.O 207
    Fork: 2003 Fox F80RLT 1554
    Frame: 2003 Titus Racer X (LG) with Titanium Bolt Kit 2687
    Handlebar: Maxm 135
    Headset: Chris King 111
    Selle Italia SLR 135
    Seatpost: Maxm 200
    Shifters: SRAM 9.0 180
    Stem: Extralite Ultra Stem 120mm x4 112
    Wheelset: Chris King/Mavic3.1/Sapim CX-Ray 1796

The Fuel 100 with V-brakes is as Follows:
    FORK: RockShox SID World Cup
    WHEELS: Bontrager Race X Lite
    SHIFTERS: Shimano XTR
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano XTR
    REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano XTR
    CRANKSET: Shimano XTR 44/32/22
    CASSETTE: Shimano XTR 11-34, 9 speed
    SADDLE: San Marco Aspide Team, Titanium/leather
    SEATPOST: Bontrager Race XXX Lite
    HANDLEBARS: Bontrager Race XXX Lite
    STEM: Bontrager Race XXX Lite, 7 degree
    HEADSET: Cane Creek S-6 Aheadset
    BRAKESET: Avid SD Ultimate w/Shimano XTR levers

The Fuel 100 with XTR Disc is as Follows:
    Wheels: Bontrager Mustang rims, Shimano XTR 28H hubs
    Saddle: Selle San Marco ASPide, Ti
    Seatpost: Bontrager Triple X Lite Carbon
    Handlebar: Bontrager Triple X Lite
    Stem: Bontrager Triple X Lite
    Headset: Cane Creek S-6, 1-1/8" AHS
    Shifters: Shimano XTR
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR
    Crankset: Shimano XTR 44/32/22
    Cassette: Shimano XTR 11-34, 9spd
    Brakeset: Shimano XTR, hydraulic disc

KMan
    Tough decisions indeed. The way I see it, its always easier to sell a frame by itself, but then you have the issue of getting rid of all the bits and pieces separately which can be a hassle and then there is also the issue if you want the money from the sold goods ASAP to get your new bike.

I would personally buy the full complete bike and then swap the obvious items over. Keep your King wheelset, headset if the trek isn't integrated (?), swap forks if that is a issue and then obviously swap the smaller items over if need be.

Questions you need to ask yourself is if you want the XTR or SRAM setup. I really like the sram but then again the XTR works fine.

I think I will leave the decision up to you. Just think of what is more economical - sometimes a full bike is cheaper in the long run, plus you would have a really great range of parts etc to swap and play around to get the ultimate setup.

Cheers
    Trevor!

mtbr member

for what its worth

Either option makes me jealous. The Fuel 100 complete with V's weigh an honest 24.9 lbs on the scale (I weighed it at the shop and at home- at home it flickered between 24.9 and 25.0). So it wouldn't be too hard to shed a few pounds there. I'm sure you've seen Mad Kochs on light-bikes, its a sweet build.
    XC

mtbr member
    i think you should get the fuel with xtr disks and just swap the frames. your parts seems pretty light and some are hard to find while the trek comes with cheap parts like bontrager stem,post and handlebar.

Jan 2004

We the people ... I'm pretty much in the same...

situation Kman! Trek fuel 100. But I don't have another bike to swap out all the other parts (I'm going to be keeping my STP400)!

I've decided to go the "frame only" path. For several reasons. Firstly, my sponsor probably wouldn't appreciate me selling off all the parts I'm going to change. Secondly, it's going to tie up more money while waiting to sell the parts. And lord knows it can take some time to get a decent price for your parts! Thirdly, it will be less of a hassle.

Luego!

CODMAN

mtbr member
    Why would you want to trade a racerx for a fuel? Do you think you're getting it just becuase you're being sponsered?

Quote Originally Posted by CODMAN
    situation Kman! Trek fuel 100. But I don't have another bike to swap out all the other parts (I'm going to be keeping my STP400)!

I've decided to go the "frame only" path. For several reasons. Firstly, my sponsor probably wouldn't appreciate me selling off all the parts I'm going to change. Secondly, it's going to tie up more money while waiting to sell the parts. And lord knows it can take some time to get a decent price for your parts! Thirdly, it will be less of a hassle.

Luego!

CODMAN

mtbr member
    No sponsorships for me!...I get a few breaks on pricing here and there, that's all.
    Anyway if you have been keeping track of any of my past theads I have been having some serious back issues that may prevent me from even racing in 2004. I road a Fuel and "I think" due to the genesis type geometry the bike fits me better and my back seems to do much better. I have set my Racer X up to match the Fuel, but for some reason (tubing angles?) the Fuel helps my back more. I love my Racer X and it would kill me to get a Trek if I go that route. My presonality keeps me away from ever buying anything in the "norm". But I may have to join the norm this time around though I thought about having an Ventana El Fuego built to match a Fuel geometry, but have been warned that the ride of the El Fuego may not match and be what I want.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese
    Why would you want to trade a racerx for a fuel? Do you think you're getting it just becuase you're being sponsered?

XC Geek
    Hey Kman,
    Why not get a Racer X with custom geometry? I would call Alan and see if they could build a custom in aluminum instead of titanium.
    Good luck with your back.

mtbr member

That is one of my options.....

I sent an email to Alan asking about having a custom Ti racer X made. I know they are slow at emails so I guess I will call later today. I do have another issue with the Racer X which is the feel of the suspension ramping up too tightly. I can only get about 2/3" at best of the full travel.....and the suspension has "too tight" of a feel compared to alot of other bikes I have demo'd. This in part could be due to the suspension used Fox Float. Charles is trying to send me a Manatou swinger suspension to try out to see if this help at all.
    Just trying to get all my ducks lined up so once I make a final decision I can get it done asap.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Steelhead
    Hey Kman,
    Why not get a Racer X with custom geometry? I would call Alan and see if they could build a custom in aluminum instead of titanium.
    Good luck with your back.

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    I just can't see anyone trading a RX for a Fuel. The Fuel, especially the 100, is a very nice bike, but there is no better race bike than the RX. You say your back is forcing the decision. Is the difference really enough that you can not race the RX and you can race the Fuel? If it is, then, with all your custom components the decision is clear - do the frame only. For you clearly geometry is the #1 priority, but #2 must be components and the Bontrager and STI XTR stuff of the Fuel build is not going to satisfy. If you sell the RX complete you will just end up replacing the components on the Fuel with what you have chosen for the RX.

Outside of that (sorry, I have not read up on your back problems) you need to see a physical therapist or sports medecine professional (not a chiropractor). Cycling should be good for your back. I had serious back issues from 1998 to 2002, when I finally went to a physical therapist at Kaiser. Since doing the exercises, stretching and practicing good posture I have not had a relapse in a year. And that was a year I spent far more time in the saddle than any other year.

M
    M

mtbr member

I just went to Temple Orthopedics

I have had back issues pretty consistant for the last 10+ years.
    When I was racing beginner it was difficult for me to finsh a race...started winning some and had to move up. Really didn't think I would be able to take the added distance in sport but wanted to try. Same thing in sport, was very difficult at times to finish the distance with my back pain but started winning races so had to move up to expert. Same issues. Diffucult to finish the expert distances but was able to do so...this fall I had a real bad episode with my back and started to really focus on core exercises, weights, stretching and went to Temple University Orthopedics and Sports medicine. They pretty much think it is all related to a degenerative disc in my lower back. I just went last week so I am just starting to process (Did this about 5 years ago with a different therapist and nothing really helped).

Thanks for the insight on the frame as well. I'm going to call Titus about a custom racer X and if I go Fuel the Project One looks really cool!

KMan

Jan 2004

No good That's funny...

personally, I don't see what makes a Racer X the ultimate race bike! Yeah it has a good design (shared with several other bikes out there), and is by no means a bad setup. But to say there is no better for racing? I don't think so... There are lots of other great race bikes out there (the fuel is one of them).

So other than the great popularity of Titus bikes in magasines (they get impressive coverage for such a small company), what makes you say it's better than the rest?

Com on, spill the beans!!

Luego!

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    I carefully worded my post to say there isn't a better race bike than the RX. There are several bikes that may be equal, but I don't think any are better. #1 reason is the lateral stiffness of the frame. Of all the other contenders in the 5.5lb FS range I think only the Spider has equivalent lateral stiffness and certainly not the Fuel. This enables a bike to hold a line really well and give confidence when descending. More nervous bikes like the Fuel, at least at my limited fitness level, inhibit my ability to recover on the downs. Plus the RX somehow responds extremely well to hard out of saddle sprints without requireing a lockout.
    M

Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Carefull wording indeed!!!

Well, that is a sbtle way of frasing it that I didn't pick up on while reading through!!!

Sorry bout that!

But with the new spv shocks, not many FS designs are going to be needing lockouts from now on! IMHO.

Luego!

mtbr member
    Look at the mtbr reviews of the racerx... That is part of what sold me. I was riding an 02 M5 fsr and the difference is significant. Titus didn't invent the horst... they made it better.

Quote Originally Posted by CODMAN
    Well, that is a sbtle way of frasing it that I didn't pick up on while reading through!!!

Sorry bout that!

But with the new spv shocks, not many FS designs are going to be needing lockouts from now on! IMHO.

Luego!

mtbr member

racer-x kick a$$

i agree with you guys, the racer-x is the best fs for xc racing. its xtremely stiff, quick and fast in accelerations. i tested 3 different fs, the fuel 100, scalpel team (raced all season 3years ago, great bike) and the titus and the titus is cleary the winner, at least for my riding style its the best.

mtbr member
    If given the choice I'd always opt for frame only. Factory assembly jobs don't impress me. I spent more time fixing crap on a new bike than building one the right way from scratch.
    Last edited by divve; 01-14-2004 at 09:25 PM.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos
    i agree with you guys, the racer-x is the best fs for xc racing. its xtremely stiff, quick and fast in accelerations. i tested 3 different fs, the fuel 100, scalpel team (raced all season 3years ago, great bike) and the titus and the titus is cleary the winner, at least for my riding style its the best.
    which 3 different fs bikes have you tested? i am deciding between racerx and a sc blur and wich one would you recomend. i may buy blur because it is more easier to buy around my location. thanks.