New(er) Carbon fiber technology applied to a bike frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New(er) Carbon fiber technology applied to a bike frame

http://byunews.byu.edu/photo-archive...trussbike.aspx
    http://byunews.byu.edu/release.aspx?...n/isotrussbike

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Evans
    This frame weighs in at 3 ¼ pounds, and we're confident the next one will be less than 3 pounds.
    This space for rent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Damm, they get to have more than one wife AND they get to play with cool stuff like that? I'm switching religions!!!

Very interesting. Though they showed it over a year ago at interbike. So my question is what happens when some mud gets in there?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Damm, I´ve never seen such a ugly bike in my lifetime. I rather buy a bike from Wal-Mart than this sh.t. Sorry!!

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    Damm, they get to have more than one wife AND they get to play with cool stuff like that? I'm switching religions!!!

Very interesting. Though they showed it over a year ago at interbike. So my question is what happens when some mud gets in there?
    I seem to remember that they covered the frame with a clear plastic.
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    what about bottle cage mounts? : ) yea definetley a sketchy frame. at best

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    And they say hopefully to get the next version below 3lb for the frame. The one pictured was 3 1/4 lb... not very light IMO. No thanks...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I think it looks wicked, apparently those Isotruss designs are supposed to be bi*chin strong because of the lattice structure, i read a review in a mag a few months ago and they seemed to like it.
    Each to their own!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Guess, how long would it take to clean this bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    its an interesting concept demonstration, but i dont know how feasable it is to actually implement this design on a production scale. i would think that the manufacturing costs alone would be prohibitively high, as the article neglects to mention cost, except that it is still very high, in the $5k range for the frame alone. if they can't optimize the manufacturing process enough, then the weight and strength benefits that they claim will be essentially a moot point.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by newboy04
    its an interesting concept demonstration, but i dont know how feasable it is to actually implement this design on a production scale. i would think that the manufacturing costs alone would be prohibitively high, as the article neglects to mention cost, except that it is still very high, in the $5k range for the frame alone. if they can't optimize the manufacturing process enough, then the weight and strength benefits that they claim will be essentially a moot point.
    Not to mention that the technology does not come into play where most frames break. Near the head tube and near the welds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Seems like it would collect a lot more mud and would be a lot less aerodynamic than convential frames. And 3lbs isn't really that amazing--my kula primo scandium weighs 2.8

that said it's cool that they're trying new things! a lot of ok ideas will usually yield a really really good one.

Members who have read this thread: 0