New Build for wife...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Build for wife...

My wife has been riding a 35lb beast as she has been learning to ride. She has developed her style as more of a XC rider, and is interested in obtaining or having me help her build a light XC. Budget is $1500 or less. Hoping to get a full sussy XC rig for 25 lbs or less. If anyone has anything available, let me know, or I appreciate some frame/component suggestions. She currently riding a 16" frame and could go a little smaller.
    Your bike is not the only thing that needs maintenance!
    http://www.yeschiropractic.com

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yeschiro View Post
    Hoping to get a full sussy XC rig for 25 lbs or less.
    Thats going to be extremely difficult for that budget. How important is rear suspension ? You'll be able to get a lot closer to your goals if she'd be happy with a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah, get her a hardtail. 1500$ full suspensions usually suck (unless you find a good deal on a used bike), but a 1500$ hardtail is usually a pretty nice bike!

ups and downs
    At that price point your only hope would be looking for something like a 2 year old Giant Anthem or Specialized Epic Comp that a pro rider was selling, you might see those up for sale around the end of September.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Sette Derro 2.0 at $1400 (or 1.0 for more money) on Pricepoint could be a good bet in this price range. It is a pretty well equipped full suspension, though would be closer to 28lb.

Switch big ring to a BBG bashguard, pick up a good women specific saddle ( I would recommend Bontrager in appropriate width), and think about using plastic pinned BMX platform pedals - they work decently well), and tune the stem length - for the remainder of your budget. Their M size is on the shorter end of typical sizing (22.8"), so it may fit well.

For future upgrades, brakes kind of suck (Juicy 3). New 2012 XT can be had on Ebay for about $260 delivered (used with same rotors), and if you take Juicys off right away you could offset half the cost by selling them. Cheaper then getting an upgrade to Elixir 5 on the 1.0 trim.