mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New build. Suggestions?

Would like to get it sub 21 lbs. Not sure why, but I do. Any suggestions? My new, incoming, wheelset should drop a few grams, not sure how many yet.

Asia Large 29er frame
    XX1 crank
    XTR pedals (thinking of Ti spindles)
    XTR 11 speed Rear deraileur
    XT 11-42 cassette
    XTR shifter
    Loaded Napalm riser
    Ergon GS(tried lighters grips but i keep going back to these for my endurance races)
    Syntace 90mm stem
    Carbon Lefty w/lockout
    Loaded Ultra X lite seatpost
    WTB Rocket Pro cromoly saddle. Ti rails would have saved me 20g.
    DT Swiss front wheel
    Easton Rear(waiting on my carbon wheelset)
    Ti bolts throughout.
    22.34 pounds

Last edited by Lenny7; 08-23-2017 at 03:44 PM.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Instead of getting Ti spindles for the XTR pedals, just get the Xpedo M-Force 8 Ti pedals. Three reasons for this:
    1) Will be much lighter than ti-tuned XTRs
    2) They shed mud better than XTR, and are otherwise pretty similar
    3) The loose bearing ball construction of the XTRs will mean that the ball bearings will eat into your ti spindles over time.

Also, get a Sram XD driver body for your rear hub and get a Sram XG-1195 cassette. Will save you a decent amount of weight.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossmaxx View Post
    Instead of getting Ti spindles for the XTR pedals, just get the Xpedo M-Force 8 Ti pedals. Three reasons for this:
    1) Will be much lighter than ti-tuned XTRs
    2) They shed mud better than XTR, and are otherwise pretty similar
    3) The loose bearing ball construction of the XTRs will mean that the ball bearings will eat into your ti spindles over time.

Also, get a Sram XD driver body for your rear hub and get a Sram XG-1195 cassette. Will save you a decent amount of weight.
    Um, no, they don't shed mud much better than xtr. Both are about the same. They are also fairly fragile, I use them for races only, but I have blown the bearings on one side in a few months. I use the xtrs for day to day riding and endurance races. They aren't bad pedals, but there are always trade offs.

Suggest XTR m9000 brakes, carbon wheel set, Next SL cranks and 150-180g saddle. These will save significant weight.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    This tends to be a "death by a thousands cuts" scenario as each replacement item sheds a few grams here and there. It definitely adds up, but the cost starts to get ridiculous.

Did you happen to weigh that frame prior to the build? I'm not familiar with it (eBay carbon?) and given the Lefty and existing 1X I'm a bit surprised you're over 22 lbs at this point. Maybe the wheelset and rubber is also hurting. What's the new wheelset, and what rubber is on there now?

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Oh, and what's your budget?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Would like to get it sub 21 lbs. Not sure why, but I do. Any suggestions? My new, incoming, wheelset should drop a few grams, not sure how many yet.

Asia Large 29er frame
    XX1 crank
    XTR pedals (thinking of Ti spindles)
    XTR 11 speed Rear deraileur
    XT 11-42 cassette
    XTR shifter
    Loaded Napalm riser
    Ergon GS(tried lighters grips but i keep going back to these for my endurance races)
    Syntace 90mm stem
    Carbon Lefty w/lockout
    Loaded Ultra X lite seatpost
    WTB Rocket Pro cromoly saddle. Ti rails would have saved me 20g.
    DT Swiss front wheel
    Easton Rear(waiting on my carbon wheelset)
    Ti bolts throughout.
    22.34 pounds
    I run XTR with a SRAM XX1 cassette. Works great and saves almost 200 grams, the saddle you can get a Ergon SME-3 Carbon for $80 on e-bay (in pink, but it is a nice pink, just got one) 172 grams, not sure about the XX1 crank, a Race Face would probably drop 100 ... but other than that and the carbon wheels ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks everyone. I don't really have a budget and won't do it all at once. I have a rear carbon wheel with DT Swiss 350, I know should have gone 240, on the way from CabonFan. (hate that name). I'll get the lefty front soon.
    Doing endurance races I can't compromise on the saddle just for weight. Saddles are an expensive game to play as well. My garage is full of saddles that didn't feel right after a trial period.
    Do they still make the Next crank? Every place I've looked doesn't have them in stock.
    I've been looking into some lighter rubber as well.
    Thanks.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    This tends to be a "death by a thousands cuts" scenario as each replacement item sheds a few grams here and there. It definitely adds up, but the cost starts to get ridiculous.

Did you happen to weigh that frame prior to the build? I'm not familiar with it (eBay carbon?) and given the Lefty and existing 1X I'm a bit surprised you're over 22 lbs at this point. Maybe the wheelset and rubber is also hurting. What's the new wheelset, and what rubber is on there now?
    I forgot to weigh it. I get all excited and I just start building, I forget about weighing stuff. But the claim is just under 2.5 pounds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks everyone. I don't really have a budget and won't do it all at once. I have a rear carbon wheel with DT Swiss 350, I know should have gone 240, on the way from CabonFan. (hate that name). I'll get the lefty front soon.
    Doing endurance races I can't compromise on the saddle just for weight. Saddles are an expensive game to play as well. My garage is full of saddles that didn't feel right after a trial period.
    Do they still make the Next crank? Every place I've looked doesn't have them in stock.
    I've been looking into some lighter rubber as well.
    Thanks.
    Lots of Next SLs on Ebay right now.
    Latitude 61

Nothing seems to kill me
    I will agree with some other posters here. First thing to go should be that XT cassette. That thing is a boat anchor.
    And after calming me down with some orange slices and fetal spooning, ET revealed to me my singular purpose.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Hmmm, something is still missing for me. If you check this post, this bike is sub 19 lbs with a standard dual fork, not Lefty.

We're missing something that's holding the OP back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Hmmm, something is still missing for me. If you check this post, this bike is sub 19 lbs with a standard dual fork, not Lefty.

We're missing something that's holding the OP back.
    You got me thinking, I'm using a cheap luggage scale. So, I just used my bathroom scale, which I know to be accurate. Weighed myself then me with the bike then did the math. It has my bikes at 20.5. It rounds to nearest .5 so it could be closer to 21 or 20.

Elitest thrill junkie
    You got me thinking, I'm using a cheap luggage scale. So, I just used my bathroom scale, which I know to be accurate. Weighed myself then me with the bike then did the math. It has my bikes at 20.5. It rounds to nearest .5 so it could be closer to 21 or 20.
    It's already a light bike, lighter than most.

Sure, there is significant weight to be saved, but it'll cost you. Given what you have on the bike, you can still save significant weight without going to the "stupid" WW stuff IMO, XTR brakes, Next SLs, X01 cassettes, light saddle, 375g carbon rims, these are all reliable parts and you will save weight on em. Is it worth it? Only if you are trying to meet a specific weight target IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.