New Boone Rings- Mtbr.com

Thread: New Boone Rings

mtbr member

New Boone Rings

Just got a new 20T and 30T ring from Boone Ti. The 30T has a cut down tooth and a bit of profiling on the teeth either side of it and has some ramps cut into the thicker center bit.

The 20T ring is just plan flat.

I'll post weights whn I get home and it them on the scales, but in the meantime here's a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Ti
    Just got a new 20T and 30T ring from Boone Ti. The 30T has a cut down tooth and a bit of profiling on the teeth either side of it and has some ramps cut into the thicker center bit.

I'll post weights whn I get home and it them on the scales, but in the meantime here's a pic.
    Very pretty. Is the tooth lower because it is places on the ramp to pick up the chain?

mtbr member

Yes, lower tooth to help shifting

Yes the tooth is lower so it will pick up and shift the chain quicker/better. There are 5 shorter teeth on a compact, 5 bolt ring, each tooth is aligned with the bolt holes.

I'm using a Spec TA 42T ring which has 4 pins so it may not pick up/drop as nice as with my current Spec TA 30T middle ring.

Quote Originally Posted by mpap89
    Very pretty. Is the tooth lower because it is places on the ramp to pick up the chain?

mtbr member

And they weigh in at ...

37gm for middle ring and 14gms for granny ring.

Illuminati

We the people ...

they look extremely nice mind if I ask how much they cost?

mtbr member
    37g... that's quite a bit heavier than the old version isn't it?

Weight Weenies lists a Boone 29t/94 bcd as 24g.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Smed

That's because it's cut from a thicker stock to allow for the ramping. Also, the old one's you usually had to use spacers.

STI member
    How long did it take for yours to arrive after you ordered them? I ordered a set a few weeks ago and they haven't arrived yet.

mtbr member

Both rings cost me

$118 exc shipping. Check on the website http://www.booneti.com/cr/cr.html for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by scant
    they look extremely nice mind if I ask how much they cost?

mtbr member

It took around 5weeks...

Brett is a new father, he had a baby girl 4 weeks ago so it's impacted his production time, hopefully he's catch up on back orders now.

Quote Originally Posted by FSRmatt
    How long did it take for yours to arrive after you ordered them? I ordered a set a few weeks ago and they haven't arrived yet.

STI member
    I see. I ordered a 29 tooth inner and a 39 tooth middle, and I waiting is killing me.

mtbr member

Yep, I was wondering ....

when mine were going to turn up as well, and woondered if he'd been to Interbike etc, but nope. Fatherhood takes a lot of time, I've just had a babay boy, 5 weeks ago and Brett and I exchanged a couple of photos.

I looked at my current ring setup and I'm now thinking I should have ordered a 42T outer as well, I'll see how it shifts with the Spec TAs. Hopefully I'll get some time on the bike this weekend and reply back here on how they perform.

I see. I ordered a 29 tooth inner and a 39 tooth middle, and I waiting is killing me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mine took 3 months

I ordered a 20 tooth granny (XTR960) in June, I recieved the gear in September. Boone had some issues with the thickness as described in a previuos post.

Hopefully they have got in down now.

DFH

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Smed

Did you just write that 37g is "quite a bit heavier" than 24g?
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member

To a WW it is 'quite a bit'

It's 54% heavier!

I can't remember the weight on my 32T Spec TA alloy middle ring, but I don't think there was that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Did you just write that 37g is "quite a bit heavier" than 24g?

STI member

Smile

It's 54% heavier!
    But titanium rings last forever.

mtbr member

Yep

My 18 month old 24T std drive granny ring has gone through 3 chain changes and has shown very little wear. They do last well and are a lot lighter than steel items.

I can't remember how long it took for Brett to make it but I think it was about 5 - 6 weeks as well.

But titanium rings last forever.

Trail rider and racer
    I am going to get a set when I next change my rings out. Might just go 2x9 but still think it'll be worth the investment.
    Trev!

mtbr member

Probably the only real 29T alternative

I went with the compact 20/30/42 and Durace 12-27 route but I have a friend that rides and races 2x9 and he has a Boone 29t and 44T setup. The 29T was pre- ramp though.

I need the extra lower gear otherwise I'd consider 2x9, back in the day I used to ride a 8sp 11-28 cluster so the 12-27 is not that much different.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I am going to get a set when I next change my rings out. Might just go 2x9 but still think it'll be worth the investment.

Alright, let's ride!
    Does it normally take them a while to return e-mails? I e-mailed Boone with a question 3 or 4 days ago and still haven't received a reply. Is this normal with them? I'm not necessarily complaining I'm just wondering if I should send another e-mail or if it just takes a while to get a reply.

I need to hear from him before I make a decision on what cassette to order. If he can do a 20t and 30t for my FSA 4 bolt crankset then I will go with a 12-27 cassette I already have, if not then I need to order an 11-32 cassette.

A little of everything
    He can do a 20T but not a 30T for a 4-bolt. Minimum is 32T.

I'm wating for some chain rings including my 42T and 29T that was send to refinishing. I'm curious to see how they look now, as they were quite scratched when I send them in after a little more than 1 year of use.

Boj
    mtbr member
    What Brett needs to do is make some Ti cassettes. There's no manufacturer out there that does this well and I recon there'd be a demand for them just like there is for the rings.
    If in doubt - pedal harder!!!

A little of everything
    They made some once, so they should be able to do it again. I have saved this picture from an ebay action some time ago. They don't look that light, but if they are as durrable as the chain rings, that's less important. I just think that Brett has enough work with just the chain rings I'm afraid. Maby they need some more folks to produce them.

Boj
    mtbr member
    I'm not a big fan of those single ring + spacer cassettes cause they dig into aluminium cassette carriers on the hub. What I meant also is that he comes up with some system that solves this problem. Like some kind of intermediate carrier which gets mounted onto hub, and then the rings onto it.

Are there any all titanium cassettes out there taht are not of this ring + spacer arrangement? I'd certainly be interested in one, but there are none that I know of.
    If in doubt - pedal harder!!!

mtbr member
    i forget why, but i'm pretty sure there is a reason that shimano doesn't use all titanium rings on their dura ace and xtr cassetes.
    -mpap

mtbr member

Brett was slow to reply on a couple of my emails

But then we exchanged a few e-mails in a day. Remember he's new father now and I think he does the chain rings in his spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    Does it normally take them a while to return e-mails? I e-mailed Boone with a question 3 or 4 days ago and still haven't received a reply. Is this normal with them? I'm not necessarily complaining I'm just wondering if I should send another e-mail or if it just takes a while to get a reply.

I need to hear from him before I make a decision on what cassette to order. If he can do a 20t and 30t for my FSA 4 bolt crankset then I will go with a 12-27 cassette I already have, if not then I need to order an 11-32 cassette.

mtbr member

The Rings shift fine....

I mounted them up and spent 1.5 hours rding them in the w/end. They worked very well. Th shifting to and from middle and granny is very snappy, better than the Spec TA ring. It may be down to the small size (30T vs 32T) but mat also be due to the 5 shift points on the Boone's and only 5 on the Spec TA's.

Shifting to and fromt he big ring is fine, I didn't notice any differences.

Weight saving over Spec Ta Alloy 32T and steel 20T is 29gms!

mechmann_mtb
    brett makes some really cool stuff. he also makes some front rings for spiderless SS's and they are pieces of art. some day i will order some rings from him...

on the email thing, brett was pretty quick to email me back when i had questions. he was very helpfull and explained everything thoroughly.

mtbr member

5 Bolt outer rings similar to the middle one

Just got an email from Brett, the 5 bolt outer (big) ring will have 5 pins and 5 drop teeth just like the middle rings. Hmmm ... tempting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    They made some once, so they should be able to do it again. I have saved this picture from an ebay action some time ago. They don't look that light, but if they are as durrable as the chain rings, that's less important. I just think that Brett has enough work with just the chain rings I'm afraid. Maby they need some more folks to produce them.
    a friend got 1. SS cogs.

Alright, let's ride!
    Brett replied to my e-mail last night. Told me that he can make a 20t small ring for me and a 31t middle ring. I'm planning on ordering them later today, not really worried about how long they take to get here as long as I have them by next season.

Alright, let's ride!
    Woohoo.......new rings ordered.

mtbr member

Congrats on making the jump ....

I hope they don't take too long and let us know how you find them.

STI member

Woohoo

Mine were cut last night!!!
    They are shipping today!!!
    Boone rings by Friday!!!
    He "revised them becaue they didn't look like Boone 'rings!!!
    I'm happy!!!

Alright, let's ride!
    Well, finally received my chainrings. They are beautiful. Only problem is the middle ring is just a plain ring, no shifting ramps. I've sent an e-mail to Boone, I'm sure I will have no problem getting this taken care of.

It does kind of suck after waiting this long though. At least it's the off season so I don't need them right away.

The 20t ring weighed in at 17 grams. The non-ramped 31t middle ring weighs 25 grams.

mtbr member

Bummer ...

Boone's outer middle ring for 2 x 9 ins't ramped, I wonder if he made/sent you one of these by mistake. On the +ive side, it's lighter than my ramped/shaped tooth 30T middle ring. You'll probably find it's thinner than your normal middle ring as well and may need spacers if you intend to use it.

Hopefully Boone will sort you out.

Alright, let's ride!
    Boone's outer middle ring for 2 x 9 ins't ramped, I wonder if he made/sent you one of these by mistake.
    If I was going 2x9 I doubt it would be called a middle ring.

I won't be using the ring, I've already sent an e-mail to them about it. Just waiting to get a reply from them. I'm sure they will take care of me, I just hope it doesn't take as long to get the replacement.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Boj
    I'm not a big fan of those single ring + spacer cassettes cause they dig into aluminium cassette carriers on the hub. What I meant also is that he comes up with some system that solves this problem. Like some kind of intermediate carrier which gets mounted onto hub, and then the rings onto it.

Are there any all titanium cassettes out there taht are not of this ring + spacer arrangement? I'd certainly be interested in one, but there are none that I know of.
    I always wondered about something. Would it possible to do something like this to make a ti cassette not chew up an aluminum carrier by giving it another point to attach too.

Might be overly complicated solution, but wondered if it could be worth it to keep a King/DT/WTB or AC hub-shell intact. Quick sketch, but hope it conveys the idea.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

On your left.
    Jan 2004

three solutions

1. the ultimate would be seperate cogs and spacers made by that new carbonti company - the cogs are carbon fiber and the teeth are ti.

2. machine the spacer into each ti cog. The additional width would eliminate digging.

3. pin or rivet the cogs to make 2 or 3 sub cassettes - like dura ace, but without a spider. the smaller cogs would be a problem, but those are a problem for dura ace too.

I'd also like to see these ti gears heat treated (like actiontec does) and tiodized, but that adds lots of $$.

Quote Originally Posted by Boj

M

Alright, let's ride!
    Update:

I just received an e-mail from Brett. Like I expected he is taking care of me. I'll be shipping the non-ramped 31t ring back on Monday.

In a way it's nice when a mix up occurs, it lets you see what a company is like. I like to be able to feel good about the customer service I receive from a company.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

No Problems With Boone Cogs On An Al Freehub Body Here

I have 2 Boone Ti cassettes like the one pictured above.
    I'll say 2 things about them. One is that they last forever....much longer than and steel shimano or campy cassette I've used. I don't know why as Ti is generally faster wearing than steel but these have a ton of miles on them.
    And second is that I have never experienced the cogs digging into an aluminum freehub.

They are a pretty decent weight...and probably considered super-light for the time period they were sold.
    I think they would sell pretty well if they started making them again. I inquired on two occasions about it though and they have no plans to make full cassettes.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I went with the compact 20/30/42 and Durace 12-27 route but I have a friend that rides and races 2x9 and he has a Boone 29t and 44T setup. The 29T was pre- ramp though.
    Why would you need ramps on an inner ring on a 2x9? Chain just drops there.

Alright, let's ride!
    Just wanted to give an update on my Boone rings. I just received an e-mail saying that it shipped out yesterday.

Summary:

10/17/05 - ordered two chainrings
    12/8/05 - received chainrings (middle ring not ramped, wrong number of teeth and wrong bolt pattern)
    12/9/05 - notified them about ring and was told to send it back
    12/10/05 - mailed chainring back
    2/1/06 - received notification correct chainring has been shipped

I can't wait to see the chainring, it's been a loonnnngggg wait.

Members who have read this thread: 0