need seatpost binder bolt- Mtbr.com
    robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

need seatpost binder bolt

Where do I get one - hardware store? LBS?

It's to replace the slipping QR on a steel Trek 930.

And hey, I'll save some weight while I'm at it.

best,

-capt p

almost there!

any nut and bolt will do...

for some reason I keep over torquing and ruining the threads on my binder bolts...

so I've found a nut and bolt and a few washers that fits into the collar and there you go fixed.

take your seat post collar to the hardware store and find the right hardware that will fit.

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

actually, I've got a steel frame so the collar is built in

Quote Originally Posted by AJ541
    take your seat post collar to the hardware store and find the right hardware that will fit.

I'll have to take the whole bike in - which they'll prolly get a kick out of, b/c we still have a few mom-and-pop/cat-in-the-hardware-store hardware stores left around here - which I frequent whenever I can.

gratzi,

-capt pearl

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by capt pearl
    I'll have to take the whole bike in - which they'll prolly get a kick out of, b/c we still have a few mom-and-pop/cat-in-the-hardware-store hardware stores left around here - which I frequent whenever I can.

gratzi,

-capt pearl
    Is the bike blue and came with Indy C forks?? If so, I have the same one (SS), and the quick realese is fairly crap. You really have to crank on it to get it to hold the post.

Just thinking out loud here

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

white with a Jett T2

Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Is the bike blue and came with Indy C forks?? If so, I have the same one (SS), and the quick realese is fairly crap. You really have to crank on it to get it to hold the post.

Just thinking out loud here

Same bike otherwise. Actually it used to be their highend steel frame - 3.5# triple butted cromo. Unfortunately, the frames a size too small for me, but you go to the trail with the bike you have, not the bike you want.

And the QR sux - hence the need for a bolt.

How do you like it as a SS? This one may become one when I upgrade.

-capt p

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by capt pearl
    Same bike otherwise. Actually it used to be their highend steel frame - 3.5# triple butted cromo. Unfortunately, the frames a size too small for me, but you go to the trail with the bike you have, not the bike you want.

And the QR sux - hence the need for a bolt.

How do you like it as a SS? This one may become one when I upgrade.

-capt p
    Same case here, the bike is just a little too small. But it is fine.

It is sooo much fun as a SS!! I changed alot of parts around, like putting on some rockshox Duke forks which don't work very well. The chainline is pretty bad due to the 32T ring I got only fitting on where the big ring should go.

I used one of those cheap spcaer conversion kits and a pc68 SRAM chain. I'm using a XT deraileur for tension.

I think I'm getting the SS bug.... And you are right, the QR sucks! I need to use a stick/screwdriver to leverage it open! Let me know what you find out with a bolt, I'm interested
    Heres the picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    I think I'm getting the SS bug.... And you are right, the QR sucks! I need to use a stick/screwdriver to leverage it open! Let me know what you find out with a bolt, I'm interested
    Heres the picture:
    92 Jamis Dakota steel SS conversion here and have the same seatpost QR issue. I'm interested in a good solution. It's my cheap@ss, weight weenie, SS, retro, roll what the downhill guys roll...just slower, machine. And I love it.

Mr. P

Members who have read this thread: 0