mtbr member

Need help with 2x cranks

I'm not in this sub-forum often so I wanted to throw out there that I'm a bikepacker more than a mountain biker.

Up until now, when I've done a bike build, I've gone with Shimano XT M785 2x cranks running 24/40 (typically close to 733g) chain rings. Mainly because I've had a couple laying around collecting dust.

I'm not a total weight weenie but I'm working on a couple of new builds (1 Ti and 1 carbon) and am looking to shed more weight where I can. Which brings me to 2x crank options that will give me similar ranges.

So, any thoughts on 24mm 2x cranks that don't absolutely break the bank and are considered reliable? Thanks.
    Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org

Formerly of Kent
    I'd find some used XTRs on eBay or PinkBike and call it a day.

Not many light non-30mm cranks out there right now. All of the light options (Next SL, Hollowgram, etc) are 30mm.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    XT cranks aren't that heavy, when you don't count the chainring. I'd consider a slightly larger small ring in aluminum. I know controltech has 27T aluminum chainrings in alloy (I have one of their 29T ones).

And that's one hell of a split between 24T/40T. How often do you really use the 40T gear?
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I got a used carbon Next SL 2x10 a year or so ago for about $100 with rings and a BB. This was the 24mm spindle, not the 30mm cinch, although if you wanted to swap the BB, you could go with the 30mm Next SL. If you're not in a hurry watch ebay and see what you can find.

Look at the canondale Si, SiSL, and SiSL2. They also use the 30mm spindle, but they're very light and often can be found for a reasonable amount. They have a number of chainring options.

Edit, this one: Race Face Next Mountain Bike Crankset 175mm 38/26t 10 Speed Carbon Hollowtech II | eBay
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Next SL can be adapted to most frames and would be the lightest, commonly available, setup.

XTR are nice and a solid choice.

Rent this space for $
    Race Face Aeffect Cinch is 24mm. Alloy. Pretty stiff for a 24. Cinch spider is available to set up 2x. I'm using a new set as a 1x crank on my new SS build. I have had the RF Turbines set up 2x and would consider the Aeffect very similar. I liked them but had them exclusively to try a shorter crank arm (170) which was "mostly" great but I went back to carbon 175's.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    I'm selling a set of used XTR 2X as we speak, if interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    And that's one hell of a split between 24T/40T. How often do you really use the 40T gear?
    I run a 10 speed 11-36 cassette in the rear.

Typically the drive components state that they are good for a 14 tooth separation but I've been running 16 without any issues. The chain hangs fine in the extremes of 40-36 as well as 24-11. It shifts fine so I'm content.

When using the 40-11 ratio, a 90 cadence gets me 27 mph. Again, this isn't for typical mountain biking but for bikepacking and I often do have to use pavement so the high end does help. I can usually hold the speed on minor downhill grades.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Not exactly 24mm, but I run a SRAM XX 2x with 26/39 gears it works fairly well for both short and long courses. My previous 24mm FSA crank broke but I liked the 22/36 gearing better for longer races.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I would look for either a older style Next Sl, XX gxp or older XTR as mentioned. Anything in 4x120 BCD should be quite cheep.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks all.
    There are a number of options out there. Even going with a 30mm BB. If all I were playing with was my Lynskey, it wouldn't be a problem, but when I throw the firetower into the mix...
    Anyway. Again, thanks.