My new IF build -- surprisingly heavy- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    |i|
    Reputation: robotkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    352

    My new IF build -- surprisingly heavy

    I'm building up a new bike, using a lot of parts from my old bike. I'm having a hard time breaking 25 lbs. There are obvious places like the saddle and brakes, but I'm wondering if I'm just missing something very obvious here

    IF steel deluxe
    Thomson stem/post
    King Headset
    Easton Monkeylite Carbon riser (old style)
    ODI ruffian lockons
    XTR cables
    XT 8 speed gruppo
    RaceFace Turbine LP sq taper with UN72 BB
    DT 4.1d/King ISO 32h/DT comp/brass nips/cloth tape
    Hutch Python airlight
    Avid cable discs
    WTB Rocket Race saddle
    CB Candy SL pedals
    Avid speed 7 levers
    SRAM pc-68 chain

    Any easy way to lose a couple of pounds?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ProfT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    16
    What's your bike's weight right now?

    In no particular order, here are some parts you could swap in:

    Grips - try foam (e.g. Titec Pork Rinds) or road bar tape
    Stem - Thompsons are solid (both build and weight). Switch to Syntace F99.
    Tubes - Ultralight tubes
    Saddle - Selle SLR
    Brakes - for rim, search the posts for Nino's Vueltas.
    Gruppo - switch to SRAM X-0 or XTR. For example, you'll drop at least 30 grams (depending what what year XT you have) going from an XT rear derailleur to an XTR.
    Pedals - switch to eggbeater (or Candy) Ti, or go crazy and buy triple Ti!

    There's no single change that's going to drop a few pounds. Try a few grams (or maybe 100) here and there. It eventually adds up!

  3. #3
    |i|
    Reputation: robotkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    352
    The bike is not yet built; I am switching over from a Turner Burner which weighs in at about 28.5 - 29 lbs

    thanks for the pointers. I guess saddle, tubes, grips may be the best place to start.

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfT
    What's your bike's weight right now?

    In no particular order, here are some parts you could swap in:

    Grips - try foam (e.g. Titec Pork Rinds) or road bar tape
    Stem - Thompsons are solid (both build and weight). Switch to Syntace F99.
    Tubes - Ultralight tubes
    Saddle - Selle SLR
    Brakes - for rim, search the posts for Nino's Vueltas.
    Gruppo - switch to SRAM X-0 or XTR. For example, you'll drop at least 30 grams (depending what what year XT you have) going from an XT rear derailleur to an XTR.
    Pedals - switch to eggbeater (or Candy) Ti, or go crazy and buy triple Ti!

    There's no single change that's going to drop a few pounds. Try a few grams (or maybe 100) here and there. It eventually adds up!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by robotkiller
    I'm building up a new bike, using a lot of parts from my old bike. I'm having a hard time breaking 25 lbs. There are obvious places like the saddle and brakes, but I'm wondering if I'm just missing something very obvious here

    IF steel deluxe
    Thomson stem/post
    King Headset
    Easton Monkeylite Carbon riser (old style)
    ODI ruffian lockons
    XTR cables
    XT 8 speed gruppo
    RaceFace Turbine LP sq taper with UN72 BB
    DT 4.1d/King ISO 32h/DT comp/brass nips/cloth tape
    Hutch Python airlight
    Avid cable discs
    WTB Rocket Race saddle
    CB Candy SL pedals
    Avid speed 7 levers
    SRAM pc-68 chain

    Any easy way to lose a couple of pounds?
    Thanks
    The best weight to lose in your wheels. Rebuild them with DT Revolutions and alloy nips. You'll drop over 1/2 lb in wheels alone, which will make the bike feel much lighter. (faster accel, better climbing) A Ti BB will drop another 100g, Stans tubless kit w/ current tires about another 150g, you could probably find a good deal on an XTR 8spd Ti cassette another 50g or so. Ditch the XT rear derail and shifters for the new X.O stuff.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    137
    Seems light to me. My singlespeed with choice components weighs 23.75. The only real way to save weight is to sacrifice the integrity of your components.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    137
    Just read the above post. Dont use revolutions unless you weigh less than 120lbs and never go around corners or down hill.

  7. #7
    I love Pisgah
    Reputation: Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,407
    Very nice build really, but since your asking at the WW forum...

    Fat post
    Fat stem
    Fat grips
    Fat BB
    Fat cassette
    Fat brakes and levers
    Fat pedals
    Fat tubes(prolly)

    Also..

    the frames relatively heavy, but you knew that.
    Sorta fat wheels

    Thats what I see off the top of my head.

  8. #8
    |i|
    Reputation: robotkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    352
    you forgot about the saddle..

    speaking of.. I just bought a $30 198g saddle from Pricepoint...hopefully it won't kill my fat ass

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Very nice build really, but since your asking at the WW forum...

    Fat post
    Fat stem
    Fat grips
    Fat BB
    Fat cassette
    Fat brakes and levers
    Fat pedals
    Fat tubes(prolly)

    Also..

    the frames relatively heavy, but you knew that.
    Sorta fat wheels

    Thats what I see off the top of my head.

  9. #9
    Get your freak on!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,696
    Quote Originally Posted by robotkiller
    you forgot about the saddle..

    speaking of.. I just bought a $30 198g saddle from Pricepoint...hopefully it won't kill my fat ass
    I think you mean, hopefully your fat ass won't kill IT!

    I agree with duckman on this one. Get some hydro discs... the IF deserves it


  10. #10
    freak of nature
    Reputation: jean-seb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    236

    Revs'R'ok !

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyhiphopper
    Just read the above post. Dont use revolutions unless you weigh less than 120lbs and never go around corners or down hill.
    No offense but, by experience the Revs are plenty tough (if the wheels are built right). I weigh 170lbs, use disc brakes, and ride hard too; no failure in 4 years. Still true as a...true wheel .

    Good day !

    Jean-Sebastien
    p.s. I use alloy nipps too.
    2004 Giant XTC Custom
    2001 Giant Boulder HD
    2000 Devinci Chili Pepper (frame only)
    1993 Proflex 853 (frame only)
    1988 Kuwahara ProStar
    1982 Peugeot Record Du Monde (fixed gear)
    1980 Raleigh Sprite (restoration)

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyhiphopper
    Just read the above post. Dont use revolutions unless you weigh less than 120lbs and never go around corners or down hill.
    What are you talking about? I would question your wheel builder if thats your opinion on revolution spokes. I weigh 160 and haven't had any problems in 4 years on revolutions. This thread is about saving weight, not building a bomb proof wheel set. Let me build your next wheels, sounds like you might need a good mechanic.

  12. #12
    I love Pisgah
    Reputation: Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,407
    Ops. Your right.

    Fat saddle Or..was.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    656

    Gram by Gram

    Quote Originally Posted by robotkiller
    I'm building up a new bike, using a lot of parts from my old bike. I'm having a hard time breaking 25 lbs. There are obvious places like the saddle and brakes, but I'm wondering if I'm just missing something very obvious here

    IF steel deluxe
    Thomson stem/post
    King Headset
    Easton Monkeylite Carbon riser (old style)
    ODI ruffian lockons
    XTR cables
    XT 8 speed gruppo
    RaceFace Turbine LP sq taper with UN72 BB
    DT 4.1d/King ISO 32h/DT comp/brass nips/cloth tape
    Hutch Python airlight
    Avid cable discs
    WTB Rocket Race saddle
    CB Candy SL pedals
    Avid speed 7 levers
    SRAM pc-68 chain

    Any easy way to lose a couple of pounds?
    Thanks
    Here's few ideas that will add up from grams to lbs !!


    1) Road bar tape " gel" nice feel and light 30 grams save ~ 90grams

    2)keep the thomson seat post "tune it a little" go with a Syntace F99 105 mm 97 grams w/ Ti Bolts save ~ 100 grams

    3) Selle Italia SLR 135 grams / San Marco Aspide 150 grams save ~ 100+ grams based on WW listed weight for a rocket race @ 275 grams

    4)Change out the brass nipples 65 grams 12mm 64 qty to alloy nipples 20 grams 12mm , 64 qty( do this one at a time and no problems with the wheels) save ~ 45 grams

    5) Ti and Alum Bolts save ~ 50 grams

    6) Lighter crank set you can get a Race Face Deus for $225.00 add alum Granny gear bolts get it down to 810 grams this will save at least 100 Grams

    7) crank Bros Ti Spindles ( candy ti 252 g) SL 298 gram save ~45 grams

    8) find a XTR 8 speed cassette on E bay save 50 to 100 grams or more if you have say a LX / HG cassette 2 350 grams

    SO this adds up to between 565g to 630 grams at a minimum this is 1.25 lbs maybe 1.5 lbs so get started there is no reason that your bike cant weigh 22.5 to 23 lbs with out breaking the bank !!!

  14. #14
    Get your freak on!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Cycle
    Here's few ideas that will add up from grams to lbs !!


    1) Road bar tape " gel" nice feel and light 30 grams save ~ 90grams

    2)keep the thomson seat post "tune it a little" go with a Syntace F99 105 mm 97 grams w/ Ti Bolts save ~ 100 grams

    3) Selle Italia SLR 135 grams / San Marco Aspide 150 grams save ~ 100+ grams based on WW listed weight for a rocket race @ 275 grams

    4)Change out the brass nipples 65 grams 12mm 64 qty to alloy nipples 20 grams 12mm , 64 qty( do this one at a time and no problems with the wheels) save ~ 45 grams

    5) Ti and Alum Bolts save ~ 50 grams

    6) Lighter crank set you can get a Race Face Deus for $225.00 add alum Granny gear bolts get it down to 810 grams this will save at least 100 Grams

    7) crank Bros Ti Spindles ( candy ti 252 g) SL 298 gram save ~45 grams

    8) find a XTR 8 speed cassette on E bay save 50 to 100 grams or more if you have say a LX / HG cassette 2 350 grams

    SO this adds up to between 565g to 630 grams at a minimum this is 1.25 lbs maybe 1.5 lbs so get started there is no reason that your bike cant weigh 22.5 to 23 lbs with out breaking the bank !!!
    Also good advice.

    Alright, now that i have some more time:

    A titanium bottom bracket would save a ton of weight, the other option would be to move to the new outboard bearing cranksets, if your in need of new chainrings (good chance of this happening if your going to replace your fairly heavy cassette), then it won't cost much more just do get a whole new external bearing crankset, instead of spending on chainrings AND a ti BB. Not to mention this outboard setup will be stronger and stiffer.

    The Avid cable discs, although work awesome for mechanical discs, and are very user friendly, they don't have that performance edge that Hydro's have (alright.. in most cases they are just as good, but you just can't fairly compare a good hydro setup to a cable setup), and the avid's are one of the heaviest brakes around.

    By getting something like a magura Marta or Hope mono mini (both will look right at home on a IF), you are looking at saving about 300grams! You could sell your Avids, and it would be a very cost effective upgrade!

    I agree with most other things that have already been said.


  15. #15
    Villa10bos
    Reputation: Villalobos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    89

    Sub 22 similar but older bike

    I had a similar set up in my Fat Chance Yo Eddy, but recently I changed basically wheels, crankset, brakes and seat. Weight dropped from 24.5 to 21.8lbs. This is a fantastic bike now. I should add that the brakes are great, better than disk brakes.

    Fat Chance Yo Eddy steel M
    Thomson stem/post 120mm, 29.4mm X 230
    King Headset
    Answer Protaper Carbon riser
    Lizard Skins grips
    XTR cables
    X.O shifters and rear deraileur
    FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue Crankset, and Pazzaz Bottom Bracket
    DT 4.1King Classic 32h/DT Revolution/alloy nips/cloth tape
    Ritchey Z Max Millenium 2.1 WCS
    Shimano cable brake
    Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow XC saddle
    Time Atac Ti pedals (Older Vertion)
    Avid Speed Dial Ultimate levers and Brakes
    SRAM Hollow chain
    XTR 12-34 freewheel
    XTR front Derailleur
    Fork Marzocchi Marathon Race 2005

  16. #16
    |i|
    Reputation: robotkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by Villalobos
    I had a similar set up in my Fat Chance Yo Eddy, but recently I changed basically wheels, crankset, brakes and seat. Weight dropped from 24.5 to 21.8lbs. This is a fantastic bike now. I should add that the brakes are great, better than disk brakes.

    Fat Chance Yo Eddy steel M
    Thomson stem/post 120mm, 29.4mm X 230
    King Headset
    Answer Protaper Carbon riser
    Lizard Skins grips
    XTR cables
    X.O shifters and rear deraileur
    FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue Crankset, and Pazzaz Bottom Bracket
    DT 4.1King Classic 32h/DT Revolution/alloy nips/cloth tape
    Ritchey Z Max Millenium 2.1 WCS
    Shimano cable brake
    Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow XC saddle
    Time Atac Ti pedals (Older Vertion)
    Avid Speed Dial Ultimate levers and Brakes
    SRAM Hollow chain
    XTR 12-34 freewheel
    XTR front Derailleur
    Fork Marzocchi Marathon Race 2005
    Interesting...your build is close to mine with the major exception of brakes and drivetrain... One of these days I will have to bite the bullet and upgrade these parts -- I've been riding the same 8 speed drivetrain and brakes since 1999. Looks like I could save at least a pound there alone, looking at all these posts.....

    One thing I probably won't touch is my wheelset -- it's a rock solid build and I'd hate to screw with it.

  17. #17
    Villa10bos
    Reputation: Villalobos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by robotkiller
    Interesting...your build is close to mine with the major exception of brakes and drivetrain... One of these days I will have to bite the bullet and upgrade these parts -- I've been riding the same 8 speed drivetrain and brakes since 1999. Looks like I could save at least a pound there alone, looking at all these posts.....

    One thing I probably won't touch is my wheelset -- it's a rock solid build and I'd hate to screw with it.
    I'll try to post a photo. I used to have an Octalink XT cranckset, the change saved 200gr. On the brakes I am not sure but I have a King ISO set in other bike, and it weights more (around 1700 gr against 1450 gr. of the King Classic + DT Swiss.

    Probably the 8 speed set up will weight less than a 12-32 9 speed. You shold check on this

    Goog Luck, and greetings from Mexico
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,631
    I also have an IF steel Deluxe (med). She weighs in just under 23 lbs.
    Thomson post/stem
    WTB Laser V Stealth seat
    Easton MonkeyLite lowrise bar/ODI Rogue lock-on grips
    Avid SL v-brakes
    SRAM X9 shifters/ XO rear derailleur
    Shimano XTR front derailleur
    FSA MegaEXO crankset w/integrated BB
    Shimano XT cassette 11-34
    Shimano 959 pedals
    Dave's SpeedDream wheels King hubs/Bontrager Valiant ceramic rims
    Specialized FastTrack Pro tires/Stan's NoTube system

    The wheels & tires were the major weight savings. The crankset could have been lighter and cheaper, but Shitmano wasn't doing it for me. It's not crazy-light and the parts get the job done.
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  19. #19
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,759

    Nice build

    Quote Originally Posted by robotkiller
    I'm building up a new bike, using a lot of parts from my old bike. I'm having a hard time breaking 25 lbs. There are obvious places like the saddle and brakes, but I'm wondering if I'm just missing something very obvious here

    IF steel deluxe
    Thomson stem/post
    King Headset
    Easton Monkeylite Carbon riser (old style)
    ODI ruffian lockons
    XTR cables
    XT 8 speed gruppo
    RaceFace Turbine LP sq taper with UN72 BB
    DT 4.1d/King ISO 32h/DT comp/brass nips/cloth tape
    Hutch Python airlight
    Avid cable discs
    WTB Rocket Race saddle
    CB Candy SL pedals
    Avid speed 7 levers
    SRAM pc-68 chain

    Any easy way to lose a couple of pounds?
    Thanks
    The build is perfect! The Avid brakes are a bit chunky but very good.

    One piece of unsolicitated thought. I went from a steel Curtlo to a FS bike and have never looked back. My Turner 5 Spot is 27.5lbs and feels as light as a feather.

    Jaybo

  20. #20
    |i|
    Reputation: robotkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    The build is perfect! The Avid brakes are a bit chunky but very good.

    One piece of unsolicitated thought. I went from a steel Curtlo to a FS bike and have never looked back. My Turner 5 Spot is 27.5lbs and feels as light as a feather.

    Jaybo
    I may be crazy but I'm actually going from a Turner Burner to the IF...The Turner is an awesome bike and an awesome company -- perfect for the trails around Atlanta. Just wanted something different and the FS is overkill for where I've just moved (FL)

  21. #21
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by robotkiller
    I may be crazy but I'm actually going from a Turner Burner to the IF...The Turner is an awesome bike and an awesome company -- perfect for the trails around Atlanta. Just wanted something different and the FS is overkill for where I've just moved (FL)
    No way, you're not crazy. I have a Turner 5 Spot and the IF geared Deluxe and an IF SS Deluxe. Some trails are just better on a hardtail. If you know the terrain doesn't warrant an FS, get the right tool for the job.
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  22. #22
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,759

    Makes a lot of sense

    Quote Originally Posted by robotkiller
    I may be crazy but I'm actually going from a Turner Burner to the IF...The Turner is an awesome bike and an awesome company -- perfect for the trails around Atlanta. Just wanted something different and the FS is overkill for where I've just moved (FL)
    I would ride a SS in Florida. I get it now.

    Jaybo

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.