MY LYNSKEY 29r BUILD IS DONE, WHAT DO YOU THINK- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    65

    MY LYNSKEY 29r BUILD IS DONE, WHAT DO YOU THINK

    After three months and too much cash my Lynskey custom level three 29r build is finished. It weighed in at 21.5 pounds today on a digital scale at my LBS. I was hoping for 19-20 pounds but with the REBA race 29r fork I guess this is the best that I can get. If you see something let me know. Here are some photo's and thank you for all your help and advise with this build.

    DSC02033.JPG

  2. #2
    Don't be hasty.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    525
    Well you can always swap out the BB7's for something more exotic, but if they work fine then don't worry about it.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,440
    wow, great looking bike!

    is it fast?

    i wouldn't worry about the weight...it's a nice fork.

    mx

  4. #4
    No longer 26
    Reputation: G-Live's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,090
    Looks great.

    Looks like you have grip shifters on it right. Here is what I'd do since it is a 29er to lose a little more weight.

    Go to JHK 29er gearing, 26/38 in the granny/middle positions. Or if you need the lower end more, 22/36 works great in this set up. Strong light makes light middle rings for such a set up. Then, since you are using bottom pull, replace the front der with a Sram Red or Force road der. I have been using both a Force and Rival and grip shifters with my 24/36 rings on my 29ers and they work great. You won't miss the 44 tooth ring on a 29er off road.

    My guess is a 60-90 gram weight reduction at no real cost once you sell the xtr fr der and lightish 32/44 rings that you have on it.

    EDIT: Get some Juicy Ultimate brakes as well. The gearing and brakes could get it close to 20# even.

    Greg
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Irrenarzt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    852
    What cassette is that?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amillmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,423
    I would guess Extralite, they have a lot of light stuff.

    http://www.extralite.com/index_euro.htm

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    65
    Where can I find JHK 29er gearing, I sorry for asking but this is my first 29er build and I am a little out of the loop. Thanks for the help.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    Looks great.

    Looks like you have grip shifters on it right. Here is what I'd do since it is a 29er to lose a little more weight.

    Go to JHK 29er gearing, 26/38 in the granny/middle positions. Or if you need the lower end more, 22/36 works great in this set up. Strong light makes light middle rings for such a set up. Then, since you are using bottom pull, replace the front der with a Sram Red or Force road der. I have been using both a Force and Rival and grip shifters with my 24/36 rings on my 29ers and they work great. You won't miss the 44 tooth ring on a 29er off road.

    My guess is a 60-90 gram weight reduction at no real cost once you sell the xtr fr der and lightish 32/44 rings that you have on it.

    EDIT: Get some Juicy Ultimate brakes as well. The gearing and brakes could get it close to 20# even.

    Greg

    u gotta watch with an isis set up i could not run 26/38 chainrings, they hit on the frame, only way i can do it is with my ext bb set up, they are wider then a 118mm isis bb.. cause thats what i was goin to do with a kcnc crank, but had to ebay it and lost some money...

  9. #9
    No longer 26
    Reputation: G-Live's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,090
    Quote Originally Posted by 1coolfish
    Where can I find JHK 29er gearing, I sorry for asking but this is my first 29er build and I am a little out of the loop. Thanks for the help.
    He is running a 26 in the granny and 38 in the middle with a standard 4 bolt pattern. Topfuel posted that there may be an issue with the 26 in the granny on an isis crank. Only trying will tell. I am running 24/36 on 2 29ers with no problems for sport racing. But I am using external cranksets.

    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hand/of/Midas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,676
    just go 1x9. bingo.


    honestly. you should. youll like it. trust me, cuz im the guy from the interweb.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    65
    Can someone recommend a different set of chain rings, I think my gearing is off. I would like to change my rings but I do not know what is a suitable light weight ring.

  12. #12
    No longer 26
    Reputation: G-Live's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,090
    Quote Originally Posted by 1coolfish
    Can someone recommend a different set of chain rings, I think my gearing is off. I would like to change my rings but I do not know what is a suitable light weight ring.
    Ride it with what you have for awhile, figure out what ring / cog combos you are using most. Figure out if you use the granny more than the big, always in the middle, the big more than the granny etc and what cogs when in the big and the granny. Then, put the gearing on a spreadsheet and figure out what double ring or single ring set up you can use to match your terrain, riding style, etc.

    I did this and found a 24/36 combo on my 29er works well for me in the midwest (WI).

    Good luck!
    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.