MTBing In Madrid??- Mtbr.com
    SUBLIM8er

MTBing In Madrid??

So, I'll be in Madrid in a couple weeks on holiday. I've heard about Casa De Campo where they held a world cup race on '06 but what about other places to ride. I realize this is off topic but this is my neighborhood.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

STS
    mtbr member
    Here in Madrid you have better places to ride instead of Casa de Campo (although it's very close to town centre).

also very close to the city you have "El Pardo", there is a famous palace there. And you have lots of singletracks. very technical

You also have lot of incredible tracks in the mountains near Madrid (Sierra de Guadarrama), at 60kms from Madrid

But I suggest you to go with Madrid mountainbikers.
    visit our best mtb forum here, www.foromtb.com
    and better the place where we plan our rides in the Madrid area:
    http://www.foromtb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47

for sure you will be welcome to any of them

SUBLIM8er
    Thanks. That's exactly the info. I was looking for. I'll be bringing my SS 29er to ride. What kinda gearing would be good for Madrid? Right now I'm running 32/18 and do pretty well on most anything with that. I'm thinking about a bigger gear for cruising the city and a smaller for any climbing terrain?? I just secured an apartment for my stay in the Santa Ana section. Hopefully I can ride to most trails from there. Would love to hook up with some local riders for a tour so I'll check out that link.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by STS
    Here in Madrid you have better places to ride instead of Casa de Campo (although it's very close to town centre).

also very close to the city you have "El Pardo", there is a famous palace there. And you have lots of singletracks. very technical

You also have lot of incredible tracks in the mountains near Madrid (Sierra de Guadarrama), at 60kms from Madrid

But I suggest you to go with Madrid mountainbikers.
    visit our best mtb forum here, www.foromtb.com
    and better the place where we plan our rides in the Madrid area:
    http://www.foromtb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47

for sure you will be welcome to any of them
    So, I checked out those links.....now I am regretting that I took French instead of Spanish as a foreign language in college.
    William S. Burroughs

STS
    mtbr member
    in Santa Ana? I think you are not going to sleep, jajaja

use google translator or similar for foromtb.com

if you have GPS, there are lot of tracks in our webs
    you can even go from Casa de campo to El pardo
    And there is a Cycle ring around all Madrid (around 65kms), but it's boring...just follow the signals.
    you can also take the train in Atocha station to go to Cercedilla, in Madrid mountains, that's the best place for mtb
    You can also go in train to El Escorial, where the famous monasterie is
    and ride the mountain behind with incredible views:
    Attached Images Attached Images

SUBLIM8er
    in Santa Ana? I think you are not going to sleep, jajaja

use google translator or similar for foromtb.com

if you have GPS, there are lot of tracks in our webs
    you can even go from Casa de campo to El pardo
    And there is a Cycle ring around all Madrid (around 65kms), but it's boring...just follow the signals.
    you can also take the train in Atocha station to go to Cercedilla, in Madrid mountains, that's the best place for mtb
    You can also go in train to El Escorial, where the famous monasterie is
    and ride the mountain behind with incredible views:
    Yes, sleep is to be discouraged on a trip like this. I'll be there with an old close college friend. This will not be at all like a trip one takes with a wife or girlfriend.

I'll give the google translator a try for your web site. That picture puts me to mind of a view from the top of Monserrat the last time I was in Spain, but no bike that time.
    William S. Burroughs

El Toro
    Muy Bonita La Casa De Campo!!!!!

Hack Racer
    Which bike will you be bringing?

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by palmix
    Muy Bonita La Casa De Campo!!!!!

Is that what the women cyclists look like in Madrid? Hmmm? I wonder where they left their bikes? I'm thinking this will be a new kinda Epic Ride, no?
    William S. Burroughs

SUBLIM8er
    The WaltWorks SS 29er for simplicity and because it feels so right.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    William S. Burroughs

STS
    mtbr member
    then forget going to the mountains or El Pardo...

SUBLIM8er
    then forget going to the mountains or El Pardo...
    NOT SO!! I took this bike out to Fruita/Moab last spring and changed out the gearing according to terrain. The bike weighs 17lbs and climbs like a monkey on crack- gear changes happen inside my head.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Mmmm I think your choice is not the best for mountains around Madrid. Too stiff!

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu24h
    Mmmm I think your choice is not the best for mountains around Madrid. Too stiff!
    I think I'll have to "school" the Madrid locals a bit in how we do ridgid SS 29er here in the states. I toyed with the idea of rocking the Stumpy fixed-gear in Madrid so the WaltWorks is my concession to comfort. I'm all about hard base miles at this point in the season......
    William S. Burroughs

Hack Racer
    You should bring your Kona

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Spanish mtb culture is so different of american culture that spanish riders will think you´re crazy, jeje. SS an 29 er are not very common here.

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu24h
    Spanish mtb culture is so different of american culture that spanish riders will think you´re crazy, jeje. SS an 29 er are not very common here.
    Yes, well I'm no stranger to people thinking I'm crazy so I can deal with that. Of course Europe lags behind MTB culture and would think a SS rigid 29er is odd- The US invented the MTB and continues to drive new innovation, IMO. It'll do you Spanish well to see someone rock a rigid SS 29er on terrain that mostly sees big-hit bikes! The only issue I'm having is with Northwest Airlines. They want 300USD to fly the bike but the worst part is that they will not insure against loss or damage. That's a deal killer.
    William S. Burroughs

SUBLIM8er
    I know but I have a hard time trusting that the Kona will be safe in the back of my truck much less with some shady Northwest Airlines baggage handler. Also, on a trip like this fewer moving parts to go wrong is better. I can't fly with all my tools so what I take needs to give me as little mechanical hassle as possible.
    William S. Burroughs

the train keeps rollin
    Axis,

Talk to Whafe on the Titus Forum. I believe he lives and works out of Spain.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Axis, NorthWorst is a PITA for bikes, but they have never damaged mine. Also, I've never been charged the full $300. I paid $75-80 last flight from Detroit to Germany. Typically, they get $150. Just be nice to the girl at check-in!

If you have no hard case, get a Cannondale box from LBS. They are shorter, so can fit on smaller planes. Also, they fit within DHL, UPS, and USPS shipping guidelines, in case your plans change.

29er tires are rare in Europe, so pack some spares. It would suck to slash one on the 1st day and spend the rest of your trip riding a cyclocross or city bike tire.

You may consider selling a bike at the end of your trip. With current exchange rate, you could get a great price and save the return freight. I don't think there's much demand for the WaltWorks, but one of your other bikes would fetch some big Euro (currently worth $1.54).

SUBLIM8er
    Lots of good advice and leads. Thanks to all. I have a FedEx connection so I'll be able to ship that way for a huge savings AND I'll have it insured so I have that base covered. I just got my Trico hard case and I think it would take a lot to damage a bike in this thing so I'm feeling better about that. I'm having second thoughts about taking the WaltWorks, though. I'm lately thinking it might be better to take my favorite street fixie to explore Madrid on and to do some hard base mile training on while I'm in the warm weather. It would be a lot more fun/faster to cruise Madrid on the Tommasini then the Walt. Choices, choices.......
    William S. Burroughs

Members who have read this thread: 0