MT8 on scale- Mtbr.com

Thread: MT8 on scale

Maromero

MT8 on scale

I just got them installed, I'll post a review later.
    Front with Storm SL 160 rotor 282.8 gr
    Rear with Storm SL 140 rotor 285.8 gr
    Total weight 568.6 gr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MT8 on scale-mt8-del.jpg  

MT8 on scale-mt8-tras-top.jpg  

MT8 on scale-mt8-tras.jpg  

Last edited by doccoraje; 08-26-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Low Rep Count
    Where did you order from and how much $$$

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    Where did you order from and how much $$$
    Got them from Magura dealer in Mexico, for about $750 USD

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Very nice looking brakes.
    I want to know the pads-rotor clearance.

jx

Low Rep Count
    R1's are starting to sound more affordable all of a sudden!

Go faster!
    looks like bike companies are trying to rip us off.

ups and downs
    I'll be very interested in hearing comments from anyone with experience with these new MT8's and the new XTR Race brakes which have become my new fave over the Marta SL's.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

↓big watter↓
    light but very ugly. the lever body looks like cheapest china plastics crap. i don't like these low priced optic (nearly like these crappy sec shifter). at xx and r1 you get full alu body at the same weight or lighter and for half the price.

MaLůĆĘ*size=
    The bolts used to hold the caliper look like aluminium, are they alu bolts? Iīm tuning a hygia slp carbon brakes, gona make them lighter than r1

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLoL View Post
    The bolts used to hold the caliper look like aluminium, are they alu bolts? Iīm tuning a hygia slp carbon brakes, gona make them lighter than r1
    No, not Al.
    Those are the stock bolts supplied by Magura, I think it's Ti, but not quite sure.

rrl
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    No, not Al.
    Those are the stock bolts supplied by Magura, I think it's Ti, but not quite sure.
    sweet brakes. you can tell the material of the bolts by its weight. post pics with them on your bike
    facebook: smart bicycle

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Not so sure about the MT8, but the MT6 and MT4 has alloy bolts that clamps the lever on the handlebar.
    Even worse those are internal threaded, no where Ti version available period.
    Alloy bolts on the caliber is fine, because they are big M6 size.

I'm looking for something to replace my Formula RX.
    The RX works fine, only too narrow pads clearance, and can be lighter.
    I know that Shimano and Hope have better pads clearance.
    How about Magura, I've heard good things.
    How does it compare with Shimano servowave brake pads clearance?
    The new XTR is over my budget, Hope Race X2 too weak braking power.
    I'm checking out the MT4's.

jx
    Last edited by lorteti; 08-26-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Maromero
    Well, looks like the caliper bolts are Alu, not sure about the clamp ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Start a new thread and let us know how you're going to do that. I've got mine down to 212g front 228g rear but that's still a lot heavier than R1.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fastback67 View Post
    light but very ugly. the lever body looks like cheapest china plastics crap. i don't like these low priced optic (nearly like these crappy sec shifter). at xx and r1 you get full alu body at the same weight or lighter and for half the price.
    The lever body is an injectionable carbon, same as Campagnolo's cranks.

MaLůĆĘ*size=
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    Start a new thread and let us know how you're going to do that. I've got mine down to 212g front 228g rear but that's still a lot heavier than R1.
    then i guess it's not possible, i was just gonna follow your FAQ website tips. how light are the r1 with stock discs and all just stock?

Maromero
    All bolts are Alu, the clamp bolts look different allloy, but, both, caliper an clmp bolts are Alu.

MaLůĆĘ*size=
    All bolts are Alu, the clamp bolts look different allloy, but, both, caliper an clmp bolts are Alu.
    isn't that a bit risky?? specially considering the high torque required for tightening calipers?

Maybe the tork head helps, I have both alu and ti m6 bolts for this, which one should I use? should I risk and use alu? what about the caliper adaptors, should i use alu or ti???

thanks a lot.

Maromero
    isn't that a bit risky?? specially considering the high torque required for tightening calipers?
    Maybe the tork head helps, I have both alu and ti m6 bolts for this, which one should I use? should I risk and use alu? what about the caliper adaptors, should i use alu or ti???
    thanks a lot.
    Well, that is what Magura supplies, so my guess is that it it safe to use as recomended.
    I used a torque meter to install, 6 nm caliper bolts, but in the clamp I only used 2 nm instead of the 3 nm, all are Torx bolts, so that helps.

The MTB Lab
    Bolts: The caliper bolts are a special aluminum alloy, and the clamp actually uses a aluminum sex bolt or barrel nut that has a hex head (internal thread), and the stud is screwed into the lever body.

Weights:
    Front (cut 32" ) - 176.7 grams
    Rear (cut 57") - 189.2 grams
    Bolts (alloy) - 2 @ 3.9 grams
    Storm SL 203mm - 147.6 grams
    Storm SL 180mm - 114.2 grams
    Storm SL 160mm - 92 grams

Mini review: plenty powerful, less power than the Louise, but better modulation, a tad grabby if you get to heavy handed (not that bad though), and the best is the incredible lever feel, you can feel a pebble on the ground when braking, superb tactile sensitivity, and they are state of the art, both technically and aesthetically, and can we say "uber quiet"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Bolts: The caliper bolts are a special aluminum alloy, and the clamp actually uses a aluminum sex bolt or barrel nut that has a hex head (internal thread), and the stud is screwed into the lever body.

Weights:
    Front (cut 32" ) - 176.7 grams
    Rear (cut 57") - 189.2 grams
    Bolts (alloy) - 2 @ 3.9 grams
    Storm SL 203mm - 147.6 grams
    Storm SL 180mm - 114.2 grams
    Storm SL 160mm - 92 grams

Mini review: plenty powerful, less power than the Louise, but better modulation, a tad grabby if you get to heavy handed (not that bad though), and the best is the incredible lever feel, you can feel a pebble on the ground when braking, superb tactile sensitivity, and they are state of the art, both technically and aesthetically, and can we say "uber quiet"

Sounds good, because I'm looking at the MT4 or the XTR for my next non-weight weenie project.
    ...love is the absence of fear....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

MT8 clamp bolts

MT8 clamp bolts are Al; respect the torque (3nm) since they are pretty fragile. I snapped the head off of one despite using a torque wrench. I read that they needed 4.5nm and it is actually 3. They will break, I know first hand and I almost cried when I heard it snap.

To make matters worse, these things do not exist in nature ANYWHERE!!!! Magura was great about sending me a couple of spares but I had to contact theme directly to get replacements. The tech said that the initial sets of brake instructions had inaccurate torque specs, however I downloaded the shop manual, post snappage of course, and it correctly states the torque @ 3nm.

I will post a full review of the MT8s as soon as I get the clamp bolt fixed. On a side note, the avid matchmaker clamps (not the matchmaker x) work great with the MT8 and my XX shifters.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Why don't they just make a Ti version of that bolt?
    1-2 grams of weight difference?

jx

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was bummed when I realized mine had those AL clamp nuts, I wanted to use my carbon bolts. I used Ti bolts for the calipers. I'm about to put a fresh set of Scrub Raceday rotors on.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hello and thanks for the great discussion.

FYI, a set of our steel hardware per axle weighs 28 gr. for all rotor, caliper and misc; Ti - 14 gr.; Alloy - 7gr.

This alloy hardware have been thoroughly tested for strength and durability but as always can have some variation in manufacturing, the hardest part of the process!
    The Germans will never release anything sketchy for the sole sake of marketing. We still use steel and Titanium but the alloy is much lighter that either two.

Fastback67 - light but very ugly. the lever body looks like cheapest china plastics crap. i don't like these low priced optic (nearly like these crappy sec shifter). at xx and r1 you get full alu body at the same weight or lighter and for half the price.

You are off a bit as the R-1 and the XX are no where near the weight of these or the MT-6! Weigh them yourself and you will see a different claimed weights from these manufacturers. Remember that we include in our stated weight, the rotor, the six rotor bolts and the two caliper bolts also with a (front) 31.5" line on a bled and ready to ride brake. Sorry you don't like the look but that is an unusual response. Good feedback anyway.
    The MC, line, caliper with pads weight 173 gr. alone. - total with hardware and rotor - 278 gr.

Lorteti - Ti is heavier than alloy.
    Jude

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by judemonica View Post
    Hello and thanks for the great discussion.

FYI, a set of our steel hardware per axle weighs 28 gr. for all rotor, caliper and misc; Ti - 14 gr.; Alloy - 7gr.

This alloy hardware have been thoroughly tested for strength and durability but as always can have some variation in manufacturing, the hardest part of the process!
    The Germans will never release anything sketchy for the sole sake of marketing. We still use steel and Titanium but the alloy is much lighter that either two.

Fastback67 - light but very ugly. the lever body looks like cheapest china plastics crap. i don't like these low priced optic (nearly like these crappy sec shifter). at xx and r1 you get full alu body at the same weight or lighter and for half the price.

You are off a bit as the R-1 and the XX are no where near the weight of these or the MT-6! Weigh them yourself and you will see a different claimed weights from these manufacturers. Remember that we include in our stated weight, the rotor, the six rotor bolts and the two caliper bolts also with a (front) 31.5" line on a bled and ready to ride brake. Sorry you don't like the look but that is an unusual response. Good feedback anyway.
    The MC, line, caliper with pads weight 173 gr. alone. - total with hardware and rotor - 278 gr.

Lorteti - Ti is heavier than alloy.
    I think this is one of the most rubbish and inaccurate post Iíve seen recently.
    You sound like you work for Magura, if so they better fire you.

1. We all know that Ti is heavier than Alloy, but for that tiny clamp bolt, alloy is just too weak, itís just stupid to save 2 gram total on that tiny bolts, Ti is 2 million(wise of speaking) times more durable. Even the M5 clamp bolt used in the R1 is stupid to me. Sooner or later it will break.

2. Have you weighted a set R1? Do some research man! The R1 average 165g for the front brake, mc, hose, oil, caliber and brake pads. Thatís with alloy levers, not carbon. To me Iíll replace that alloy clamp bolt on the R1 with Ti, maybe adds 3 grams to the total, but have long service life and no worries. Alloy is good for many applications, but not for bolts smaller than M6.

jx

Jun 2004
    Hey Loreti, didn't mean to offend you and thought I worded my post with that in mind and in fact stated appreciation for your feedback.

I in fact do work for Magura (no secret) and have for the past 14 years as a race and technical manager in the US.

Nothing I stated was rubbish and you can reference the weights I stated with earlier posts in the same thread and/or check the scales yourself.
    I've weighed R-1's, XX's, XTR's, rotors, hardware, hydro lines etc over and over and over.

Again, I didn't mean to offend you so have a nice day anyway.
    Jude

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well, why donít you show us some of the R1, Mt8, Mt6 and Mt4 weight pictures?
    Weight the brake only, MC, oil, hose, caliber and pads, not including adapters, caliber bolts and rotors.
    And also share with us how many customers that call you guys, for needing more tiny internal threaded alloy clamp bolts, because they breaks.
    These MT series is still too new, let us know more later.

I remember in the old days, when I have a set of Magura 33 hydraulic rim brakes.
    They came with gold colored alloy bolts, M5 size I believe, I have only stripped 2 heads of them, Iím very careful with equipment.

I have some different bolts here in my tool box.
    The weight of the M5x18 clamp bolt on my RX, steel weight 3.1g, Ti weight 2.0g, and alloy weight 1.4g.
    To me, Ti is the way to go.

I donít have a set R1, but here are some pictures I found on the WW forums, just Google yourself, and donít tell me that they all have inaccurate scales.

Sorry guys, this is not meant to be a Magura vs. R1 thread, but I just want to clear things up.

jx

Last edited by lorteti; 08-29-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Jun 2004
    Thanks for all the good info, I appreciate it.

My weights I reference have come from my own experience of weighing the brakes from my hand to my scale and that is all. When I have taken an XX or R-1 off a bike, I would use that brake as my reference so admittedly they varied in line length possibly and were used but also the pads used and therefore a little inaccurate also.

We could have made the MT series lighter but that was not the sole target. Power, heat load, weight and ergonomics were the four factors in the design of the MT's.

I have nothing against Formula or any of our other competitors, they all make good equipment and make us try harder to make our products better and better. Competition is good.

My reply to the original thread was only to help.
    Jude

mtbr member
    I do have a set of R1's and while they're light and powerful, pad rubbing and vibration issues are insufferable.

I'm a building a new WW bike and I decided to get the MT8's this time. I'll probably use titanium caliper bolts with them though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Alloy is fine for the clamp bolts because it's such a low torque area. You only need to tighten it so that it doesn't move (or maybe a tiny bit of movement, in case of a crash). Alloy bolts are also fine for the caliper's. Pro's have been doing it forever, and why would Magura do it if it wasn't safe? You have to remember these are being sold in sue-happy america, they've got to be safe/reliable!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Iím amazed that people like so much to defend a companyís mistake.
    Just think about it, why would you save 0.5g per bolts, but introducing tons of problems.
    That alloy bolt must tight on with an accurate torque wrench, that torx key must be in perfect condition as well.
    How about when you do not have a torque wrench in your backpack in the field? How about your torx key is slightly worn?
    Changing handlebars, reset settings a few more times, that bolts will break sooner or later.
    If itís a Ti bolts, everything is fine in any condition.
    In my 20 years of MTB experience, never broke a Ti bolt.

Just ask Magura how many customers break these clamp bolts.
    They even use alloy rotor bolts, I donít even want to go there.
    Just ask all the customers that bought a MT series, how much they wish that tiny clamp bolt is made of Ti.
    Magura is a good company, making interesting stuffs, but they made mistake too, this alloy clamp bolts is definitely a big mistake.
    I believe Magura will see this mistake very soon, and later paths will come with a Ti bolt, at least I wish they are smart enough.
    Alloy caliper bolt is fine, because itís M6 big enough thread.

jx

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post
    I do have a set of R1's and while they're light and powerful, pad rubbing and vibration issues are insufferable.

I'm a building a new WW bike and I decided to get the MT8's this time. I'll probably use titanium caliper bolts with them though.
    You are right, Formula brakes has very narrow pads clearance.
    Did your R1 rubs in static rolling?
    Mine RX do not rub in static rolling, but I wish the clearance is wider, and I'm worry that it will rub when climbing, do not want anything slow me down.
    Let us know about the pads clearance of the MT8.
    Pads clearance is important to me, allows much easier setup.

jx

Maromero
    I didn't experience any rubbing in my first three rides, so I guess pad clearance is OK, I'll try to take a pic of pads and rotors tomorrow.
    No alloy bolts on my rotors, that is an area in which failure can lead to severe injuries.
    The Storm SL bolts are Ti.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I requested a couple extra clamp bolts after the first one snapped. There is not a lot of material where the head attaches. I have two torque wrenches, four torque keys and two torque screwdrivers and have never snapped a fastener until now. I would be very interested in a Ti version of the brake clamp bolt. In the mean time, I will be very careful with any adjustments.

As a result of the delicate nature of the fasteners used with these brakes I've purchased a set of torque screwdrivers in the .3 to 3.0 nm range since the bleed port screws require 1 nm of torque. Not about to find out what the screw holding limit of the new carbotecture compound is after a brake bleed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The brakes are great, plenty of pad clearance and very quiet once the pads are broken in. Short of the clamp bolt mishap, which was largely my fault, I am very happy with the brakes so far and would definitely make the same decision to buy if I had to do it again. Now if I could just track down the ubiquitous "shiftmix" clamps I'd be all set. Have to stick with the matchmaker for now, I guess.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    No alloy bolts on my rotors, that is an area in which failure can lead to severe injuries.
    The Storm SL bolts are Ti.
    From what I have told, MT8 comes with alloy rotor bolts.
    Sometimes companies are crazy trying to reduce weight.
    Well, true WW will love them, until things break down.
    Knocking wood, hope nobody get hurt.

jx

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by lorteti View Post
    From what I have told, MT8 comes with alloy rotor bolts.
    Sometimes companies are crazy trying to reduce weight.
    Well, true WW will love them, until things break down.
    Knocking wood, hope nobody get hurt.

jx
    Well, maybe you were told wrong.
    At least my rotors came with Ti bolts, but I must say that I bought the Storm SL before getting the brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well, maybe you were told wrong.
    At least my rotors came with Ti bolts, but I must say that I bought the Storm SL before getting the brakes.
    I think only Judemonica knows the true answer.

jx

The Cheater
    57gr lighter than my XTR Race with 160+180 KCNC Razor rotors but my setup is probably safer with bigger rotors and all.
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by Veda View Post
    57gr lighter than my XTR Race with 160+180 KCNC Razor rotors but my setup is probably safer with bigger rotors and all.
    Safer in which way? I understand that bigger rotors would give you more stopping power, but safer??

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by Veda View Post
    Confused? What is safer? Been using my MT8's with Storm SL 203/180 setup for 3 months, without any issues?

The Cheater
    Yes, more stopping power during those furious downhill sections.
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    For the OP:
    doccoraje; did you happen to sell your MT8s? Please PM me because I can't PM you (my post count is below 10). Thanks.

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by starbux View Post
    For the OP:
    doccoraje; did you happen to sell your MT8s? Please PM me because I can't PM you (my post count is below 10). Thanks.
    No, I wasn't selling them or plan to sell them in the near future, as a matter of fact I'm pretty happy with the MT8's, I only had a small complaint, the rear brake was doing a minimal "eeking sound" when feathering, this was solved by switching the same brakepads from side. Tip given by Jude.
    Now I know that the rotor bolts are Al when you get the whole package. Still mine are Ti.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

MT-8 Serial Number?

Doccoraje - thanks for the reply. This is a question for Judemonica then; is the number on the caliper as shown in the pictures in the first post (10617 S1USA) a unique serial number or a part number? Thanks.

Jun 2004
    Starbux, those numbers are production numbers/ nomenclature. They tell when they were produced, what production line and where they are destined. This one for US aftermarket sales. Some are stamped for OEM production etc...
    With this information, if something is bad and warranted, we can see where and when it was produced giving us vital quality control information.
    Jude

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hey Jude,
    I have the MT8, as a matter of fact they are numbers 576 & 577 if i remember correctly. They r fantastic brakes, but I can not find carbon shift mix to bolt up my XX shifters and would also like to get some extra various bolts. Where in the US can I get them?

Jun 2004
    Magura Direct

Here is a good place to start but if it is small bolts and bits, I may also be able to help so let me know what all you are looking for.

I just checked for the shiftmix on that site and couldn't find them. I know we were waiting on them but that was a few months back. I have an email to the office checking inventory now and should know something mid morning.

Check back in with me if you don't hear from me.

Much appreciation for you choosing Magura and the MT8! I'm riding the same brakes.
    Jude

Jun 2004
    bpd131, I just heard back from the office this morning and we have plenty shift mix sets in stock and they are being added to the Webstore and should be available this week. You could call the office and ask to speak with Matt or Corey if you need them expedited.

Thanks again for flying the flag!
    Jude

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks Jude.

Jun 2004
    Anytime!

Matt or Corey at the office in Illinois, 618-395-2200 extension - 230.
    Jude