Middleburn RS-8 Crankarms CA. 447g.- Mtbr.com
    SUBLIM8er

Middleburn RS-8 Crankarms CA. 447g.

Just got these in yesterday for the Hei Hei to replace the RaceFace Next LP that was on it. These should go a lot better with the blue/polish look. I'm impressed with the machining and overall quality. I ordered these in mid December so a long wait for these. The weight is nothing to brag about but they will be stiff, I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member

They look nice

but a little heavier than the Next LP.

I'm looking to do a 5 inch full suspension build and I'll probably use my square taper Next LPs as they're just lying around, what square taper BB are you using with your build.

I'm thinking steel Philwood, is there any square taper thats stiffer and more reliable?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice cranks

I used RS-1, 3 and 7 in the past.

RS-7 DUO is the stiff set. (556g with 42-29t)

RS-1 DUO (39-26t) is the lightest at 480g

your set will go so nicely with my actiontec attack ti bb in blue

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Ti
    but a little heavier than the Next LP.

I'm looking to do a 5 inch full suspension build and I'll probably use my square taper Next LPs as they're just lying around, what square taper BB are you using with your build.

I'm thinking steel Philwood, is there any square taper thats stiffer and more reliable?
    I'm using an American Classic Ti square taper BB with these. The same BB I ran last year with the Next LPs on the Kona. Of course nothing is more reliable then Phil Wood, but if you are going to go steel I'd save some money and just get a new Shimano XT-level square taper. I think it's called the UN-73, or something close to that. Those things just don't wear out and are very stiff. But, if you have to have the best and money is no obstacle then the Phil Wood Mag/Ti square would be my choice.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitakeng
    Nice cranks

I used RS-1, 3 and 7 in the past.

RS-7 DUO is the stiff set. (556g with 42-29t)

RS-1 DUO (39-26t) is the lightest at 480g

your set will go so nicely with my actiontec attack ti bb in blue
    I like the gold. Nice. I think Action Tec and Phil Wood are the only choices left now for Ti square tapers.
    William S. Burroughs

used to be uno-speedo....
    I just got my Phil Wood Mag/ti. Its purdy. The BB came in at 152g.

And a couple of Uno cranks. Both have 3/32" uno chainrings. The black pair are RS7 180mm and the silver 175mm RS8.

Enough geeking for tonight.

Edit: The 180mm are ISIS and the 175mm are sq.taper
    Last edited by dirtdrop; 03-13-2008 at 06:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A little off topic here, but I have a set of XTR cranks (FC-M952). There older ones. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone knew if middle burn chain rings would use the same cut out pattern as XTR chain rings? The shimano rings seem to be very pricy.

banned

phil wood....

Quote Originally Posted by uno-speedo

And a couple of Uno cranks. Both have 3/32" uno chainrings. The black pair are RS7 180mm and the silver 175mm RS8.

what size is that BB?
    does that include the BB cups? it seems to me as if those are missing in the pic...any close-up picture ?

thanks

flow where ever you go

Strange, aren't the RS8's supposed to be lighter. It looks like your RS7's are longer and lighter.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    what size is that BB?
    does that include the BB cups? it seems to me as if those are missing in the pic...any close-up picture ?

thanks
    116mm. add another 35g for the cups.

Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    Strange, aren't the RS8's supposed to be lighter. It looks like your RS7's are longer and lighter.
    Exactly.

Middleburn claims the RS8 175mm arms (only) at 406g. Mine weighed in at 423g. Note the ISIS RS8 arms weigh 391g claimed. I'm going to weigh them again.

On a good note my Boone ti chain ring weighs 1g less than the stock Middleburn ring

banned
    116mm. add another 35g for the cups.
    hmm - so for me this makes 187g for the BB and not 152g. and this isn't really light as well. there's a lot of square BBs out there beating these numbers. quality i can't tell but from what you hear those Phil Woods seem great however a set of bearings every other year on a square BB sets you back about 15$ and is serviced in no time so no big deal really.

why 116mm? this seems like a HUGE width which makes for a huge Q-factor as well.

i run my cranks with a 103mm square BB.the narrower the better!

SUBLIM8er
    what size is that BB?

thanks
    Yes, the cups are missing. You have to purchase the appropriate cups for your BB shell seperately for that BB. I think Phil also makes you purchase a proprietary BB tool as well. All this adds up to be a VERY expensive BB. Phil Wood bottom brackets are cool and all, BUT you caint see 'em on yer bike so no bling factor.
    On a side note: I have a ten year old Phill Wood Fixie hub that I bought when I was bike messengering in grad. school. That hub went from 5 day-a-week messengering duty to my main fixed street bike and now is on my winter training bike. It has seen countless miles of HARD duty- It spins like new. I just wish Phil would learn how to trim some weight.
    William S. Burroughs

hmm - so for me this makes 187g for the BB and not 152g. and this isn't really light as well. there's a lot of square BBs out there beating these numbers. quality i can't tell but from what you hear those Phil Woods seem great however a set of bearings every other year on a square BB sets you back about 15$ and is serviced in no time so no big deal really.

why 116mm? this seems like a HUGE width which makes for a huge Q-factor as well.

I know that. Thanks.

I have wide chainstays. A 113mm wide bb was rubbing my chainstay when I put the gas down. I'd rather not ruin a $4000 frame

Hack Racer
    The middleburn cranks use the JIS standard right?

I think Tune still makes their AC38 square bottom bracket. No idea how good they are. I have never heard of anyone even mentioning them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Thanks for posting this info! Are the RS7's on the scale ISIS? If so I have a set exactly like them and am glad to get a read on their weight! makes me glad I opted for the RS7's!!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by N10S
    Thanks for posting this info! Are the RS7's on the scale ISIS? If so I have a set exactly like them and am glad to get a read on their weight! makes me glad I opted for the RS7's!!

Jeff
    The black set are RS7 180mm ISIS.

flow where ever you go
    chainreactioncycles states claimed weights as:

RS7 UNO (175mm) with CD Spider: 478 grams
    RS8 UNO (175mm) with CD Spider: 434 grams

They say the RS8 is "Machined from the same billet as the RS7, but with more weight reduction to reduce mass but retain stiffness."

It's hard to imagine how the RS8s above ended up 20 grams heavier instead of 45 grams lighter than the RS7. I have a set of RS8 at home and will weigh them up later for comparison.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

fella
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Ti
    Everybody seems to like Phil Wood BBs, but i won't call them reliable from personal experience. Mine died in about 500 km.
    member of the World Conspiracy against Paranoia

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Royce makes quality ti bbs.

Above all, they are British

Down side I suppose is their price @GBP 135+

BTW I use actiontec, raceface taperlock and world class bbs.
    All of them have hollow ti spindle and am satisfied with their performance.
    I felt (im 62kg) stiffness of cranks was more remarkable than of the bb itself.

SUBLIM8er
    Exactly.

Middleburn claims the RS8 175mm arms (only) at 406g. Mine weighed in at 423g. Note the ISIS RS8 arms weigh 391g claimed. I'm going to weigh them again.

On a good note my Boone ti chain ring weighs 1g less than the stock Middleburn ring
    No spider included in your 423g weight, though. How much does a spider weigh? 50g maybe?
    William S. Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    No spider included in your 423g weight, though. How much does a spider weigh? 50g maybe?
    75g for the 3/32" Uno chain ring and another 6g for the lock ring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Middleburn Duo weights

I just got a Middleburn Duo (44/29) -- crankarms, chainring bolts, and rings they weighed in at 554 grams. I'd hoped for a little lighter, but that was the number on the scale.

I've got a Token bb (73/113) that came in at 158 grams without bolts.

mtbr member

wow, 103 BB, I'm interested too in low Q-Factor, which is your combination of cranks - BB - frame?

I have Scott Spark with 73mm BB, I'm now using a Rotor RS04 (not Agilis) crank that was for 68mm BB but works well because of it's adjust possibility of the chain line, it makes a 160mm Q-Factor , and a 5mm clearance beetwen arms and chainstays.

Could I achieve something similar in standard cranks (104/64 and 4 arms spider to mach my Q-Rings)?

CIMG2005.jpg
    Last edited by SmashWings; 03-23-2008 at 07:36 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0