Magura MT8- Mtbr.com

Thread: Magura MT8

mtbr member

Magura MT8

Alright guys, looks like these are out now. Has anybody gotten them, and more importantly had a chance to put some on a scale?

Interested in weight, but more importantly performance. I have the R1's on one bike, and the XX's on another. Thinking of replacing the XX's as the performance pales in comparison to the R1. The technology that went into the brake seems very cool, but does this technology pay off with performance?

Also, the stock rotors seem pretty heavy. Thinking that Hope rotors would make more sense to keep the weight down, plus they are floating and look better \

I'm kind of surprised this forum isn't all abuzz about this new brake...leading me to worry they are not all that Magura has hyped them up to be.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

ups and downs
    I'll be very interested in hearing how the MT8's compare performance wise to the XTR 985 race brakes, which may be the best XC stoppers I've ever laid a finger on.

The MT8's are only about 20gms lighter per brake than the XTR 985 brake and rotor once you add a CL adapter in to the 160mm Storm SL and a PM frame adapter to the minimum spec weight of 279gms. The XTR 985's have ruined me for using my tried and true Marta SL brakes and I haven't quite been able to justify the $200/pr extra for the MT8's over the XTR 985 brakes yet. Any subjective input would be good.

One thing to keep in mind about the Magura brakes is that the Storm SL rotors are thicker than most any other brand (2.0mm nominal), so using thinner rotors will mean more lever travel to engage the pads.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1 View Post
    Also, the stock rotors seem pretty heavy. Thinking that Hope rotors would make more sense to keep the weight down, plus they are floating and look better.
    Personally, I think Storm SL rotors look very cool... And you may be surprised to find out that they're way lighter than they look, only ~5g heavier than Hope's floating rotor you mentioned.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    FWIW, New issue of MBA that I received yesterday has a new brake shootout. The XTRs were first (they gushed over the lever shape, the power, easy set up, and basically said they are perfect. Only complaint was 2 ounces heavier than the formula's for the set.)

2 -XO
    3 -R1
    4 -MT6
    5 -Hayes whatever they're called.

The MT6 is the same as the 8 minus the carbon lever and clamp, so performance should be the same. The main thing they discussed was that they lacked power compared to the top 3.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    FWIW, New issue of MBA that I received yesterday has a new brake shootout. The XTRs were first (they gushed over the lever shape, the power, easy set up, and basically said they are perfect. Only complaint was 2 ounces heavier than the formula's for the set.)

2 -XO
    3 -R1
    4 -MT6
    5 -Hayes whatever they're called.

The MT6 is the same as the 8 minus the carbon lever and clamp, so performance should be the same. The main thing they discussed was that they lacked power compared to the top 3.
    Thanks for the feedback, and I'm surprised to hear they lack power compared to my R1's. But honestly I have a hard time believing reviews from magazines...seems like you see more adds for Shimano and Sram in magazines so it would make sense that they would always achieve the top spots for reviews. Just makes good business sense, but doesn't help us much in choosing. Just my opinion.

Also, makes no sense to compare top of the line brakes from some companies and second tier from others?? Again, I understand they test whatever they are sent, but it certainly leads to more questions then answers.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    They tested the trail version of the XTRs and, rotors included, they're 5.6 ounces heavier than the Formulas. Way too heavy for a WW bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    The MT6 is the same as the 8 minus the carbon lever and clamp, so performance should be the same
    The caliper is also different, only MT8 has that caliper. MT6 and MT4 share the same caliper, and MT2 has a 2pc. caliper.

ups and downs
    Interesting, at 333.6gms for a complete MT-8 160mm rear brake (w/ 6 bolt rotor and bolts), that would make it about 350gms with a CL adapter instead of the 6 bolts.

My rear XTR 985 brake with 140mm CL XTR rotor was 341gms, a 160m rotor was just too big on the rear.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Interesting, at 333.6gms for a complete MT-8 160mm rear brake (w/ 6 bolt rotor and bolts)...
    That discrepancy sounds ridiculous, considering Magura advertises the set at 279g! That weight doesn't include the bolts, but still. My 1st generation Marta SL with the SL wavy rotor is ~327g

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I went out on a limb and bought two sets. I'm getting ready to start two new builds (Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon and TRc). I haven't had them on the scale yet, but in the hand they feel incredibly light. I will update once I've had a chance to test them.

FWIW, I think the MBA test took into account a rough price range, so they were comparing similarly priced brakes from different manufacturers in roughly the same category. They gushed over the XTR Trail brakes. They commented that the MT6 didn't have the raw power, but were very predictable, had good modulation, and were very user friendly. I believe they also noted that they were the quietest in the test.

I'm excited to see how they perform. I've only ridden the new XTR's briefly, but I own the previous generation and have lots of time on them along with Elixer CR Carbons and Saints.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know where I can get an 8mm open-ended wrench like this one from?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get an 8mm open-ended wrench like this one from?
    Germany

See my new reply in your other thread.