low weight full susser- Mtbr.com
    pb2

low weight full susser

Ok I have flirted with the idea of getting a Scott Scale but the one piece rear hanger thats not covered by warranty if you snap it = another new frame at my expense and if I am honest with myself some of my XC rides are bit too rocky/technical for a hardtail and my riding ability so I have changed direction.

I am now looking for 3" to 4" full susser with discs that weighs 23lb or less.

I cannot do a Turner Nitrous because I weigh around 185/190 and I am 6' tall - plus I would struggle to grow Kabush sideburns

Thankfully money (within reason) is not a problem, as I have two decent bikes to sell plus some rainy day money stashed.

I am happy to wait a while if there is a 2006 killer bike (never seen one yet )

Thnx in advance Paul

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yespsb
    Ok I have flirted with the idea of getting a Scott Scale but the one piece rear hanger thats not covered by warranty if you snap it = another new frame at my expense and if I am honest with myself some of my XC rides are bit too rocky/technical for a hardtail and my riding ability so I have changed direction.

I cannot do a Turner Nitrous because I weigh around 185/190 and I am 6' tall - plus I would struggle to grow Kabush sideburns

Thankfully money (within reason) is not a problem, as I have two decent bikes to sell plus some rainy day money stashed.

Thnx in advance Paul
    Check out the 2006 Specialized Epic carbon fiber frame.... I mean if money isn't a huge object (You're looking at the scott scale anyway). Claimed weight is 2300g which should be able to make a <20lb Full suspension for a great performing frame. Personally (and I've tried many full and hardtail bikes) I think the epic makes me a faster rider on all terrain. Great for XC, a bit harsh if you need more freeriding

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Some of the lighter ones I've seen have been the Cannondale Scalpel, mybe a Lightspeed if money is no object, Extralight F Series, Titus Racer X could work. The Dean Ace, or Yeti ASR (I think) might also fit the bill. (The new Fugi might have promise too... suprising, but looks like an old FSR).

I got a Ventana El Feugo, which while a great bike would be very, very, hard to break the 23 pound barrier. I build mine up pretty light, and it's a bit over 25 pounds.

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by yespsb

Thnx in advance Paul
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    How about a turner flux? Still pretty light and dependable.

Fashionably functional...
    I love carbon but I wouldn't on a MTB. I weigh a tad more than you. And at our weight range, bars would be about it in carbon. I was in a similar dilemna a while back and I decided on the DEAN Ace. If you have never experienced Ti, you must. The Litespeeds are just crappy nowadays. QC has really gone downhill since they became more mainstream.
    What's the joy of living if you can't feel alive???

pb2

thanks guys

Some interesting info here, thnx, the Spesh Epic looks interesting, I actually have a Flux and its great bike although mine weighs around 27lbs using the crude, me and my bike on scales method. The Flux has tons of carbon bits, bars,crank arms, seat post, plus Ti BB etc.

I am UK based so Dean is not a name I know much about however a few Googles will soon sort that out, ditto Extralight.

Thankfully I travel to America quite often with my job and I will be buying my bike in America, given I will not be asking for or getting any after sales service I will buy on price and availability, do you know of any good Specialized, Dean or Extralight dealers who might be talked into giving a poor Brit a good deal ;-}

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

fugi?

Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    (The new Fugi might have promise too... suprising, but looks like an old FSR).JmZ
    OK, I'll bite. I googled Fugi and didn't find any great FS leads. I cruised Fuji's site and didn't find anything light in a FS, although they did have a nice light HT and offer a killer deal ubber-lite roadie (the SL).

What's a Fugi?

-capt p

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by capt pearl
    OK, I'll bite. I googled Fugi and didn't find any great FS leads. I cruised Fuji's site and didn't find anything light in a FS, although they did have a nice light HT and offer a killer deal ubber-lite roadie (the SL).

What's a Fugi?

-capt p
    Saw the ad in one of the bike rags.

The Fugi looks to be a new bike that looks basically like an old FSR. I have not checked their site, but since it just hit the mags, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not offically in the line up until 2006 offerings are unveiled at Interbike.

Imagine a Scalpel and you've pretty much got it. It does have a Horst link, and the Specialized patent to go along with it. I'll see about finding and scanning the ad tonight, hopefully.

JmZ
    JmZ

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

thanks.

... although, i was kinda hoping it would turn out to be a serious bang-for-buck Fuji like the SL.

best,

-capt p

pb2

New question here. Errmm

The Dean customer service reviews on here are simply the worst , there is no way I am going to chance that being based in the UK, I could not find a link for the Extralight, any ideas guys.

With regards to the Spesh Epic, can you buy that just as a frame because I have had enough of Shimano dual levers, I am a Sram XO and Rockshox fan.

I did consider a Titus X racer prior to the Flux, Yeti bikes are also a bit unknown over this side of the water but I will have a look because they seem to have good rider reviews.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    it's actually Extralite but if you're 185-195 lb I would definitely be looking elsewhere ...I'm 165 lb WW and I don't even want an Extralite frame... flexy, overpriced, questionable quality and customer service...

if you wish to use disc brakes, I feel you can almost choose the Scalpel by default. I'm almost certain I'd be riding either the Scalpel or Cannondale's HT if I chose to run discs.

also, I wouldn't shy away from carbon because of your weight. Carbon frames from companies such as Trek are considered very stiff which is great for heavier riders. Isn't Cannondale coming out with some carbon frames for '06?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Any interest in Santa Cruz? They can be built up pretty light. FWIW my Blur sits close to 24lbs.

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!

try Seven?

Seven Cycles makes 2 full sussers. The Teres has about 1.25 inches of travel, and the duo is a more free-ride oriented bike with around 3.5 inches of travel.
    I cannot say enough about how great my seven fits me. A full custom rig is something that cannot be overlooked, no more back, shoulder, neck pain, just sweet comfort, and extralight responsive geometry...

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    Saw the ad in one of the bike rags.

The Fugi looks to be a new bike that looks basically like an old FSR. I have not checked their site, but since it just hit the mags, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not offically in the line up until 2006 offerings are unveiled at Interbike.

Imagine a Scalpel and you've pretty much got it. It does have a Horst link, and the Specialized patent to go along with it. I'll see about finding and scanning the ad tonight, hopefully.

JmZ
    Sorry took so long, was looking for the mag. Couldn't find it, but did find it on the web.

http://www.fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=31

It wasn't as light as I had first thought, but the build spec does leave the ability for a lighter build.

JmZ
    JmZ

mtbr member
    Yeti's aren't a bad sort of bike. I have had the very brief chance to use an ASR SL, it's a very nice bike- I believe the frames are hand made from Easton tubing in Yeti's Clorado factory. Very nice, and I was supprise at how stiff the assend is on them, I weigh about 195lbs and the hint of flex makes me uncomfortable on a bike- no problem here.

3.75" of rear end travel, XC Racish geo and the frames are pretty light, plus they look awesome with sram gear and Foxxes, the Aussie pai of Mr Rowney adn Mr Lowe raced them around the Norba curcuit last year...
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    What about a Nicolai? They have a super light weight fullly. The Saturnus TCC. http://www.nicolai.net/ It's expensive, yes. But you can customize your entire bike yourself. Even geometry. You also get lifetime warranty. And the finish on the bike is just amazing, the welds and details. I have an Argon I'll upload some pictures of it later I just love my Nicolai.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Salsa Cabelero

Built my Salsa Cabelro out at 23.6 lbs with carbon bars, seat post, race face cranks, Botton Bracket & stem, Manitou Scarab Elite 100mm fork, SRAM X9 trigger shifters, Cassette & XO Rear deraiuller, XTR front D, Mavic Cross Max XL UST Wheelset w/ Kenda Karma tubed tires w/ Stan's sealant.

Could loose a little more weight here and there but the grams at this point are costing more $ than I care to spend at this point.

I am 5' 11" @157 lbs and have had no issues with breaking anything on the scandium frame. Had it a year now and the more I ride it the more I like it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbird
    What about a Nicolai? They have a super light weight fullly. The Saturnus TCC. http://www.nicolai.net/ It's expensive, yes. But you can customize your entire bike yourself. Even geometry. You also get lifetime warranty. And the finish on the bike is just amazing, the welds and details. I have an Argon I'll upload some pictures of it later I just love my Nicolai.
    wow that is one cool bike. can we have some pics