Loosing weight (Rider), without loosing strength- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Loosing weight (Rider), without loosing strength

Hi,
    I am trying to loose weigth with out loosing muscle and or strength.
    I always catch my self cutting back too much and loosing all the energy to ride. It is very difficult for me to balance. Do you have any tips?
    https://robsprimallife.com/
    MTB certified integrative health, weight loss and performance Coach.
    #robsprimallife

SUBLIM8er
    Smoke some crack cocaine prior to your ride. This also has the added benefit of curbing hunger pangs.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    i started taking fish oil pills and stopped eating all sweets and tried to cut out all simplified sugars. no soda, juice, candy... pretty much cut out all the stuff that is obviously bad for you. snack on fruit and stuff with lots of fiber instead. it worked or me. i lost 45 lbs in like 7 months.
    MIchael

pedal pusher
    Taking another pound off my bike would cost over $1,000. Losing 10 pounds I don't need would actually be profitable, since it consists mostly of fat that comes from extra food I don't need to eat.

Try building muscle in the gym, follow it with plenty of high-protein, low-fat food, eat lots of veggies, stay away from refined sugar, and ride your bike a little more than you already do. The weight will disappear very quickly.

El Pollo Diablo
    simply a matter of not cutting back on the calories too much.

two summers ago I was able to drop 30 lbs while increasing all my lifts, by watching what I ate and exercising religiously
    (lifting + running, before I got back in the saddle)
    protein heavy diet, lots of veggies, no sweets, no pop, cut back on the booze

AKA Dr.Nob
    Doing weights is a great way to loose fat. Sounds silly but build an extra 1kg of muscle and you burn an extra 400 calories per day (I'm going off memory please somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

It would be useful if we knew your actual weight and height.

Because the advice will be different if your 5' 8" tall and weigh 200 pounds or if your 5' 8" and 165.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Stored Carbohydrate is what your body feeds on for intense training. It's important that your muscles are somewhat full and recharged with carbonhydrates to have quality training sessions. Concentrate on eating meals high in complex carbs and quality protein sources in a 4:1 carb/protein ratio. If you're serious about this, try eating 6-7 400 calorie meals a day with 80 grams of complex carbs and 20 grams of protein. Keep your fat intake low, and supplement with fish oil or olive oil to get your essential fat source. Refrain from eating 2 hrs before your workout, and eat 100 grams of easily digestable carbs immediately after your workout when it's easiest for your body to regenerate stored sugar and NOT fat.

This will ensure that the calories you eat get stored in your muscles for later training sessions and the protein you eat will be used for rebuilding muscle. The calories from fat that you burn during training will count for your deficit or weight loss.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Simonster hit on the main points. I'll add that you should try not to eat too close to bedtime, which is an optimal time to burn through stored carbs and fat.

Losing weight is simply a matter of burning more calories than you take in. You have to run a huge calorie deficit to start burning muscle, so I doubt that is the reason for your lack of energy for rides. More likely, it's because you haven't replenished your glycogen stores immediately after your last ride or you're not fueling effectively during rides. Have a recovery drink within 20 minutes after a hard workout and make sure you have some kind of carb source during rides. Also, make sure you're washing down your energy drink/gel with water as it aids digestion. Drink mixes and gels don't do anything if they just sit in your stomach.

AKA Dr.Nob
    Simonster and Tranquilo are both right and know their stuff. The only thing I want to add is that if you go in too far a calorie deficit your body will go in a starvation mode. You wont loose weight and will feel really bad.

This is a pretty complica.... I was going to write this was a complicated issue but it isn't.

The trouble with this subject is that there is too much lies, misinformation and far too much money to be made.

The only way we can do justice to this issue would be to write about 47 pages worth of posts.

Check out Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook. Its a good book, she knows her stuff.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

TranceX Rider

Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds. - Homer Simpson

The Simpsons

You will not lose weight until you give up chocolates, cut down beer intake and I suggest you go cold turkey.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member

keep it simple

cut out all the easy stuff. pop, juice, beer, ALL fast food & junk food, but don't starve yourself. and eat more veggies and fruit & drink more water.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You can also ingest some caffiene before your workout. It helps free up fatty acids and spares stored sugar. I've read that the process takes 2-3 hours to kick into gear though. So that would mean ingesting caffiene 2 hrs before your workout. But by then, the stimulant effects start to wear off. I like a couple shots of espresso 2 hrs before, then another 2 shots just before I warm up on the bike for race day.

Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonster
    You can also ingest some caffiene before your workout. It helps free up fatty acids and spares stored sugar. I've read that the process takes 2-3 hours to kick into gear though. So that would mean ingesting caffiene 2 hrs before your workout. But by then, the stimulant effects start to wear off. I like a couple shots of espresso 2 hrs before, then another 2 shots just before I warm up on the bike for race day.

No friggin' wonder one of the guys I ride with who is very fast drinks a cup of coffee with honey mixed in before his rides.

He never told me why though.

mtbr member

Smile Thanks for the help

Here is what I did so far. I signed up to the gym read a book about weigth training, read a book about low GI foods, installed crosstrainer on my PC to monitor my workouts and my food intake. I cut all the junk, only low GI carbs for the last four weeks, more protein more fruit and veggies and a lot more beans (low GI but good source of fiber, protein), gym 3 times a week spinner class once a week MTB ride 2 times a week.
    Lost 6lbs in the last four weeks, very motivated, seems to work.
    https://robsprimallife.com/
    MTB certified integrative health, weight loss and performance Coach.
    #robsprimallife

Members who have read this thread: 0