Looking for Sub 200 gram saddle- Mtbr.com
    fmf
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Looking for Sub 200 gram saddle

Hey all,

I'm lookin for a sub 200 gram seat thats won't break on a little crash.

Any info appreciated! Txs

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow. I have one on my bike and I love it, I will buy another one if this one ever bites the dust or if I get another MTB. Weight is listed as 170g, I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it is plenty light while still being very sturdy. I have been racing on the same one for 8 months and it has held up well.

meow, meow.
    Well, the more important thing about saddles is that they must not act as torture instruments. Depending on your anatomy, a saddle you're looking for may or may not fall within sub-200g class.

I'd recommend you check out Selle Italia SLR series. If that's a fit, go for the one you like best. Plain SLR (no padding, no gel, no cutout) works very well for me -- better than the padded WTB Rocket V Stealth Ti I had previously; next one I'll try will be SLR C64.

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    I guess I should have added that for me, the SLR XC Gel Flow is plenty comfortable. I've used it for a 12 hour race and felt fine...no numbness or anything like that. It's a great saddle, at least for how my body is made.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I ride on a Selle Italia SLK (vanox rail version), claimed weight is about 185g.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=23855

Slightly different design to the SLR, the SLK has the 'split' all the way to the back of the saddle, so each half can flex independently, giving a very comfortable ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've used a selle italia flite ti for a long time and i'm pretty sure it scrapes in under 200. i'm looking at the plain SI SLR @ 145g (i think) for the SS as i understand it's the same or very similar shape and feel...

fmf
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    hey everyone,

txs for the info so far. Any other makers?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    San marco aspide is also popular. There's a whole bunch of saddles out there just as if you ask for a wheelset lighter than 1700g or a frame lighter than 1600g.

fmf
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by karstb
    San marco aspide is also popular. There's a whole bunch of saddles out there just as if you ask for a wheelset lighter than 1700g or a frame lighter than 1600g.

Thanks. I know the site and have checked it out before posting...

I want to get real usage feedback. The numbers (or should I say lack of numbers(grams) of the seats is cool. But I don't wanna take a spill and have my superlight seat all busted up! So I'mm lookin for seats that people use that are kinda tough!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've crashed a steel rail saddle such that the rails bent and thus the saddle was a total loss. That was a 250g saddle, and by no means cheap. The crash was not hard as well, not much faster than walking speed. If you have bad luck, that can happen to any saddle. My solution: Get cheap light used saddles.

the WALKING DEAD
    Jun 2006
    The WTB Rocket V slt is my hands-down favorite. It is 210g, which is close to what you're looking for. It is a light-weight saddle that doesn't ride like a rock. The Specialized Phenom is light and ergonomic too. At 190g, it isn't too much lighter than the Rocket V though, and is not as comfortable.
    Your momma's so nasty, she keeps ice between her legs just to keep the crabs fresh.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by aph72
    The WTB Rocket V slt is my hands-down favorite. It is 210g, which is close to what you're looking for. It is a light-weight saddle that doesn't ride like a rock. The Specialized Phenom is light and ergonomic too. At 190g, it isn't too much lighter than the Rocket V though, and is not as comfortable.
    Tough to compromise too much on the three contact points (grips, saddle and pedals), but striking a balance between lighter weight and comfort in these three areas can be done.

Rocket V SLT Ti rails is indeed my favorite as well. They come in around 210 - 216 real world weights. Or drop down sub 200 with the WTB Devo or Silverado Anniversary model. Both of those have a flatter profile than the Rocket V with the Devo being shorter and wider and the Silverado being a tad longer than the Rocket V, but the same width.

Or there is the cheese grater from Tioga at 140 grams.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

FIRENZE rulez !!

something like this ???
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    damn that's light

fmf
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap

something like this ???

WOW!
    How does it feel?
    Is it holding up?

Must cost a bazillion$$$!!!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap

something like this ???
    Dang, that's taking weight weenism to new "lows". How many dollars per gram saved did that M2 Racer cost?

Edit: Never mind, I see they are giving it away on eBay for $395 plus shipping.

BB

Members who have read this thread: 0