Looking For Crankset Options...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking For Crankset Options...

Well the trusty Cove is in need of some work- I haven't been riding all that much this year due to serious burnout, and loads of other commitments. I am however back on the bike, doing the Sydney 12hr with Dave (bike freak) and hoping to do much more enduros in the future.

Anyways the Cove is in need of some replacment parts, in particular the drivetrain is worn pretty hard 12/24hrs worth of dust at races does that So I am finding myself needing new rings and a new bottem bracket both of which are very expencive here in Australia.

I am looking at importing the parts, but I'm wondering is it worth replacing the BB (light ISIS) and the Rings (Specialties TA) on my current setup, or should I just go out and buy one of those intergrated X-Type (Deus) cranksets? It apears that it will cost roughly the same after importing to buy a whole new crankset, but I will gain roughly 20g over my current setup (I will change the race face rings later).

Are the Intergrated all they are cracked up to be? I'm a heavier rider looking for a solid pedaling platform.

Thanx
    -Cul
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

mtbr member
    May 2004

get the fsa V drive mega exo

It is heavy, but it is a beauty.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by long_strange_ride
    It is heavy, but it is a beauty.
    Don't they weigh more then the XT at near the same price as XTR's? No thanks

Cul- you already know what i have too say

mtbr member
    Hehehe Thanx guys :-)

I'm seriously considering the Deus cranks- as Dave said I know what he is going to say, because I hear it enough from him . Chainging the Rings, and finding a decent but storng BB will be tough though, I'm pretty sure the rings I want run like 200AUD after shipping from Europe, you can get the Deus for bout $280AUD (USA price), so maybe thats a better choice.

Guess I answered my own question...
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

mtbr member
    imy lbs told me that the only draw back to the race face is the bottom bracket. the bearing end up getting flattened over time. so if you want you could buy the crankset, use it for a couple of races. then once it starts to break down. buy an xt bottom bracket cup set. that's what i would suggest.
    -mpap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mpap89
    imy lbs told me that the only draw back to the race face is the bottom bracket. the bearing end up getting flattened over time. so if you want you could buy the crankset, use it for a couple of races. then once it starts to break down. buy an xt bottom bracket cup set. that's what i would suggest.
    -mpap

This of course reises the question, of, Which Bearing set is lighter, the Raceface or the XT?

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by CulBaire
    This of course reises the question, of, Which Bearing set is lighter, the Raceface or the XT?
    I hear the Dure-ace BB is alot lighter....(not sure tho!).

As for BB's, the raceface has better seals, but this also brings more seal drag.... so the XT"s should spin a little easier, while the racefaces should last longer