LOOK Quartz (any model)- Mtbr.com
    More than somewhat.

LOOK Quartz (any model)

The other thread was full of bickering which made it hard to get any information.

Are there any "I OWN them, and USE them" reviews here?

If you don't own/use them, please don't post in this thread.

More than somewhat.
    I guess I'm the only one. I haven't installed them yet, but first impression is they are bigger than the pictures suggest, but still light.

More than somewhat.
    I installed the pedals over lunch but didn't have time to mess with the cleat/spacer shenanigans. According to the instructions, the left pedal has a "ring" somewhere on the spindle to indicate right/left... Didn't see ANYTHING that would indicate a ring, right, left, nothing, so I went with common sense and mounted them so I could see "LOOK" right side up if I were sitting on the bike.

mtbr member
    Yeah - those look like the carbons you got there? Can you confirm weight?

I've got Cro-mo's. They are bang on 250grams and agreed - they have a nice platform on them which for there weight is fantastic. I cant wait to get the carbon/Ti ones.

The spacer setup is a bit tricky - but once done i found it fine, nice overall. The big test will be when i get my new Specialized MTB Expert shoes - but im hoping everthing will be fine.

More than somewhat.
    Can't confirm the weight, but yeah, they are carbons. I still don't have a scale for some reason... but I assure you, they are lighter than the XTR spd's they are replacing.

More than somewhat.
    Mounted the cleats.

Note to Sidi owners: My 2 month old Dominators needed the 1mm spacer, rather than the 2mm. The sole is pretty much brand new.

fella
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress
    According to the instructions, the left pedal has a "ring" somewhere on the spindle to indicate right/left... Didn't see ANYTHING that would indicate a ring, right, left, nothing, so I went with common sense and mounted them so I could see "LOOK" right side up if I were sitting on the bike.
    [OFF]
    No indication is really necessary. Pedals can't be mounted wrong, because right pedal has right-handed thread while left pedal has left-handed thread.
    [/OFF]
    member of the World Conspiracy against Paranoia

More than somewhat.
    I can't figure out a way to adjust the cleat other than forward and back. The right shoe comes pretty close to rubbing the crank arm when it's sitting by itself, which seems odd. I can't figure out a way to bring the heal out an inch or so...

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    surely you can move it a bit left or right?

More than somewhat.
    Nope.

mtbr member
    Strange.... I can move it a tiny bit on my shoes.... But there's no need asmy heals are far enough away from the crank anyway.

mtbr member
    Can't confirm the weight, but yeah, they are carbons. I still don't have a scale for some reason... but I assure you, they are lighter than the XTR spd's they are replacing.
    Let us know what you think of them compared to the XTR's. I want to know how they feel in regards to stability of the shoe on the pedal when navigating through technical trails.

More than somewhat.
    I have to sell these off. I guess my ankles are weird, or Sidi drilled my shoes wrong, but I need to have my feet parallel with the bike frame (almost pigeon toed). These pedals make my shoes sit with a the heel on the inside a smidge (almost duck footed). When I turn my foot to make it comfy, I'm already halfway to clipped out losing the float feature.

I guess I need a pedal with an adjustable cleat, and adjustable release tension. I hate adding weight to my bike.

These pedals (Quartz Carbon) are for sale. $150 - used once.

PM me.

manufacturer
    look have changed on their web site the weights!!!
    carbon TI - 109g per pedal
    carbon 125g
    quartz 135g

I bought them before, when they claim for Q carbon 230g!!
    bustards!!!

More than somewhat.
    It said 125gm/pedal on the box mine came (and left) in.

mtbr member
    There's a guy on a german site who says his carbon ones came in at 230grams the pair.

mtbr member
    So i got back home today - access to a camera etc!

My Quartz cro-mo's came in a 261grams the pair. Not too fussed as i was just trying them on the bases if i like them i get the Carbon/Ti ones.

Im using Specialized Carbon Expert shoes - nearly new. I mounted the cleats with the 2mm spacer and there was a gap so i mounted them with the .5mm spacer and they touch the pedal nicely!

Ive attached a pic too showing how much they clear the cranks by - now ive got big size 10 feet and even ive got miles of space! (Excuse the socks was just in....)

Overall there are nice pedals, qood quality - they are however a bit hard getting clipped into i guess i just need pratice with them but its not as easy as an SPD pedal etc. They stay nicely clipped in though and release is easy enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More than somewhat.
    Dude. Your bike is CLEAN.

Clipping in was pretty hard for me as well (after I got the right shims). I'm not impressed with the design.

mtbr member
    I know The rear shock blew so had to go back to Sram. I had 3 weeks to clean it whilst i waited for it to come back..... Should be getting dirty tomorrow though

I think there's just a nack to clipping in, must admit i havent even read the manual yet ! Probably something in there about it.

mtbr member
    It looks nice... The foot is very close to the arm. Only 0.5mm spacer? It looks larger...

mtbr member
    Foot is close to what arm? The Crank arm?

Its defo the .5mm spacer - the 2mm ones were to big and the 1mm ones are still in the box.....

mtbr member
    Yes, crank arm... Thats nice, reduced Q-Factor... Sorry for the 0.5mm spacer, my eyes are not that good

manufacturer
    It said 125gm/pedal on the box mine came (and left) in.
    yes I know, on my box is the same, but on look site was written 115g per pedal in Q. carbon. Even it's still "115G" when You click, on one of the pictures on the left, when you choose Q. carbon pedals
    Attached Images Attached Images

More than somewhat.
    lol

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Got the base set last night. When I weighed them, the scale was bouncing between 260 and 261... so I'm going with 260.

I used the smallest shim with Specialized shoes and fit was perfect. So far they seem pretty nice. A little lighter engagement than my times, but still nice.

I'll try to take them for a real ride this weekend.

mtbr member
    Ignore my comments about a hard clip in......

I got my shims muddled up - i actually need the .5mm spacer + 1mm spacer to give the correct distance. My pedals touch the body too much and thus clipping in was very hard, but having swapped the shims its nice and easy now.

The MTB Lab
    I just got my pair, no ride as yet but weights are as follows per my .1g accuracy scale:

Look Quartz Cro-Mo

259.6g (no clips)
    Clips w/ screws 38.4g (Clips 31.8g and Screws 6.6g)

FYI, my XTR SPD's:

334.9g (no clips)
    51.5g clips w/ screws (44.2g clips and 7.2g screws)

Question: how come people always gives us a picture of the scale (the item and the scale showing it's weight)? He gads I trust yah!

mtbr member
    Here's a thought. The cleats dont contact the pedal body at all - im thinking Titanium cleats.....

mtbr member

Clip-In

Me again

Has anyone found one pedal clips in easy than the other? My right one works fine but the clip-in on the left one is hard i really have to concentrate to get it.....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    Me again

Has anyone found one pedal clips in easy than the other? My right one works fine but the clip-in on the left one is hard i really have to concentrate to get it.....
    Do you think it might be just cleat placement on the shoe? I know that I have, in the past, had to set the cleat on my left side a little further back on the shoe because my feet are slightly different. Maybe it's not sitting on your natural sweet spot?

mtbr member
    Yeah true - i was just playing with them its a problem with my shoe no related to the pedals AT ALL.

With the cleats in the slots on the right shoe i have 6mm either side of the cleat. On the left shoe though i get 6mm on one side and 8mm on the other side - i can't get it perfectly equal but im not sure if its a problem.

I think it just needs alot of pratice really, ive used Time ATACs which are really easy in and out.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Keep playing with placement. I am coming from Time's also, so I hear you on the easy in/out part. The Looks could use a little more tension IMHO, but other than that, I like them.

mtbr member
    More tension?!?

lol - i think i'll just practice riding around clipping in etc. I must say once in there lovely - nice big platform feels uber stiff and they clip out fine - they stay clipped in too which is ace just my technique is rubbish

mtbr member
    May 2006
    How much float do these have (rotational)? More or less than Times?

The MTB Lab
    Me again

I ended up having the thin metal one on my left shoe and the plastic 1mm on my right, go figure!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510
    How much float do these have (rotational)? More or less than Times?
    Seems like a little bit less... not sure.

More than somewhat.
    Mine said 15* of float, but it felt like less because it was so loose.

mtbr member
    Bit less than Times but more than Shimano etc.

I got sore knees with Shimano pedals and eggbeaters, with Times i didn't and now with the Quartz i don't either so they have enough float thank god

No, that's not phonetic
    The Quartz cleats look VERY similar in shape and layout to the ATACs. Any chance they are compatible?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    probably not. The Look cleats are bigger. I will go out and try it...

meow, meow.
    I wonder what to expect from LOOks compared to Eggbeaters? In particular, platform feel, emergency clip-out, mud/snow clip-in, and are they better protected from slamming them against stuff (I suppose they just get a little scratched and harmlessly slide off the obstacle where Eggbeaters would get bent)?

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    probably not. The Look cleats are bigger. I will go out and try it...
    ...and...?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    sorry, no the look cleats are too big to engage into the time pedals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Quartz vs Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho
    I wonder what to expect from LOOks compared to Eggbeaters? In particular, platform feel, emergency clip-out, mud/snow clip-in, and are they better protected from slamming them against stuff (I suppose they just get a little scratched and harmlessly slide off the obstacle where Eggbeaters would get bent)?
    Here are few random thoughts:

I just got the a pair of the base Look Quartz last week and have ridden them 4 times on two bikes. The bikes had eggbeaters(SL and Ti). I got them for $80 on ebay

The eggs have much more float, and are easier to clip into. Even after practicing with the Looks I think they will be harder to clip into. I can get into the eggs with no thought, The eggs have much less release tension, but with the Quartz you know you are out. I think have had several slow speed crashes(in snow) when I though I was out of my eggs but was not. My point is I feel just as secure in getting out of the Looks as the eggs. The resistance of the Looks can be "tuned" using the shims which is great. As far as protection. Since the Quartz are higher profile I assume the would be more likely to get hit.

The Quartz have a more solid feel under my foot. This is a nice change. I suspect they will shed mud and snow as well as the eggs.

I like the maintainability and simplicity of the eggs and mine have been very durable though they have a not so great reputation.

The Looks for $100 @ 250g are a decent value and would choose these over SLs

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheppardk

The Quartz have a more solid feel under my foot. This is a nice change. I suspect they will shed mud and snow as well as the eggs.

I like the maintainability and simplicity of the eggs and mine have been very durable though they have a not so great reputation.
    Speaking of solid feel, is it enough to ride Quartz with not-so-stiff-soled shoes on (like Shimano AM-50), or is it better to stay with XC racing type shoes (like Shimano M181) anyway?

And about maintainability, yes, Eggbeaters are drop dead simple things. But I remember reading a note somewhere (don't remember where) on Quartz pedals that said they are also rebuildable, that it's possible to replace bearings in them. Is there a catch? Hard to get rebuild kits, exotic tools needed, anything else?

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Another short review: I just got back from my first ride of 4 hours on these (previously using ATACs). Compared to the ATACs:

- They were slightly less sure to engage without the hard 'click' of ATACs
    - Similar amount of float (well, there wasn't enough of a difference for me to notice)
    - Much less secure- my feet came out a couple of times over rough terrain (doesn't happen with ATACs)
    - Disengagement is less positive- my feet would rotate out freely, then come loose. On ATACs, you *know* when you have disengaged.

Overall my initial thoughts are that the pedals are good- light, cheap and worthwhile. Not as easy to use as ATACs, but still a good alternative for someone who wants light weight and a low price.
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    Another short review: I just got back from my first ride of 4 hours on these (previously using ATACs). Compared to the ATACs:

- They were slightly less sure to engage without the hard 'click' of ATACs
    - Similar amount of float (well, there wasn't enough of a difference for me to notice)
    - Much less secure- my feet came out a couple of times over rough terrain (doesn't happen with ATACs)
    - Disengagement is less positive- my feet would rotate out freely, then come loose. On ATACs, you *know* when you have disengaged.

Overall my initial thoughts are that the pedals are good- light, cheap and worthwhile. Not as easy to use as ATACs, but still a good alternative for someone who wants light weight and a low price.
    A note on the "much less secure" part - check to make sure you are using the right sized shims for the cleat. The pedal body is supposed to rest on the shoe. I had a slightly too large shim in there to begin with and they were sitting mostly on the clip and seemed "much less secure" just like you experienced. When I put in a smaller shim, and checked to make sure the shoe contacted the pedal body, it was much better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    How are these pedals holding up in rocks?
    Has anyone given them a good whack?
    How does the body and the metal bars stand up?
    Eggs are fairly unpopular in New England because they don't hold up to the rocks.( yes...some people use them with no problems...but I know plenty of people who have broken them,including me. I use ATACS)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've bashed them several times (relatively hard) on rocks and they don't really have any marks on them. Haven't had any issues so far. The clips are not linked so bashing one side will not affect the other which looks to be the case on eggies.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks!

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    A note on the "much less secure" part - check to make sure you are using the right sized shims for the cleat. The pedal body is supposed to rest on the shoe. I had a slightly too large shim in there to begin with and they were sitting mostly on the clip and seemed "much less secure" just like you experienced. When I put in a smaller shim, and checked to make sure the shoe contacted the pedal body, it was much better.
    I did follow the mounting instructions, and the 1mm shims allow full pedal/shoe contact. The Looks are simply nowhere near as secure and positive as the ATACs. I still like the Looks for other reasons though.
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

mtbr member
    just to show you that it can break if you ride like a beast

As you can see it is empty inside...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kali
    just to show you that it can break if you ride like a beast

As you can see it is empty inside...

I am 225 and have hit them what I thought was pretty hard, but you are a beast!!!

mtbr member
    That's worrying im 230lbs.

The bearings in mine lasted 4 weeks before they broke, back to the shop for an exchange.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I guess I'm not riding hard enough.

mtbr member
    yes I ride like a beast , but these are not mine !! I have XTR pedals....

banned
    Feb 2004
    Errrr....I was thinking about these, but between the plastic body and the hollow spindle, they look a bit questionable. I'll stick to my trusty shimano 858's...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Good job! Look Quartz Mountain Pedals

I have a pair of these I've had a few weeks now. These are the middle of the pack ones for $99. I weighed them at 251 grams just pedals and 288.5 with screws and cleats. So far I have been very happy with the pedals. They have good engagement and feel great under the foot. They make a nice platform so you can even pedal some if needed without being clipped in. My left cleat seems a little tougher to engage and I've had that one pull out inadvertently twice. I was riding the heavier Shimano's before and I like the engagement in and out and the feel under the shoe better with these.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Update: I tried different shims and found a better fit. Retention is now better (i.e. my feet don't bounce off the pedals at random) but they still don't approach ATACs for security.

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Has anyone measured their Look pedals compared to Crank Bro's, in regards to Q-Factor? Looking for the following dimensions, A, B, and C:

Is there any noticeable difference in stance width? I'm talking about the standard length spindles on the CB's.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    A: 42mm
    B: 20mm
    C: 62mm

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    A: 42mm
    B: 20mm
    C: 62mm
    My eggs are

A:46mm
    B:19mm
    C:65mm

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaclocker
    My eggs are

A:46mm
    B:19mm
    C:65mm
    Thanks to both of you for the measurements. Looks like nothing major is different w/ position, considering the CB cleat allows for some lateral adjustment on bottom of shoe. Possibly some lateral float in the clipped in zone, similar to Time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Its defo the .5mm spacer - the 2mm ones were to big and the 1mm ones are still in the box.....
    That's the 1 mm spacer - the 0.5 mm is made of metal. There are 4 1mm spacers and 4 2mm spacers in each package so you can change them when (if) they wear.

Anyway, I think they disengage way to easily - (i.e. I find them dangerous). When riding in technical terrain with not-so-optimal foot position they suddenly disengage leaving me hanging on the top tube or worse. Same when jumping a log etc. My ATACs went back on...
    Last edited by MoMaTo; 06-09-2008 at 11:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Yup my mistake you are correct.

I still dont get any problems with clip in etc, just keep getting faulty pedals

Members who have read this thread: 0