List your best weight reduction this winter- Mtbr.com
    I can't weld

List your best weight reduction this winter

My biggest weight cut this winter would be dropping a couple pounds of rotating, unsprung weight with a decent set of DT Swiss/Mavic wheels and Scott tires. Still haven't gone tubeless, but Maxxis Ultralight tubes help.

The easiest would definately be dropping the 700g Thomson seatpost / WTB saddle combo for a 375g SDG I-beam seatpost and I-Fly saddle. That's 325grams or 0.7lbs.

Yeah, I'll admit it. I want to be Geoff Kabush.

mtbr member
    Eat....less.....pie.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    07 Crossride wheels, bonty jones tyres and slime tubes to Tune King/Kong hubs, Stans olympic rims, revolution spokes, nobby nic tyres running with yellow tape, valve and sealant !

I'm kinda jumping the gun as the wheels have not actually been built yet but I have the parts
    Should save a shedload of weight.

I can't weld
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    Eat....less.....pie.
    Amen. I'm down about 15# in that department, too. Ten more to go. I'm looking at cutting another 5 between component and equipment changes. I'm going to drop the Camelbak Lobo in favor of a small seat pack and a water bottle in a carbon cage.

mtbr member
    Just last night I swaped out the pullys on my X.9 rear derailluer and went from 204.0g to 184.1g, thats 19.9g there and a little while ago I stripped the padding off my SLR saddle and went from 142.6g to 119.6g, thats 23g cut. 42.9g lost this winter at a cost of...nothing.
    Just do it, Faster, Better, Lighter.
    bikekitchen.blogspot.com
    Single Minded

SUBLIM8er
    Eat....less.....pie.

If I had a dime for every time I read this type of inane post/suggestion.......well, you know. I particularly like the one where people recommend voiding your bowels as well- basically, it's one in the same.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    I saved about 4 pounds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    If I had a dime for every time I read this type of inane post/suggestion
    You'd be carrying around more weight in coins than on your bike?

My best saving is probably my new cranks (Token), nearly 100 grams less than my current XTs. Same price too. Next best is my Ritchey stem and Amoeba bars, 110gr lighter than the EA50 they replace. Oh and my new R7 is about 250gr lighter than the Fox I was using before, but it's not as stiff or plush :|.

The weirdest saving is going from an aluminium frame to a steel one and actually saving weight. Figure that one out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    On my XC race bike I've shaved a few grams:
    1) LX 580 crankset replaced with Middleburn Duo and UN-73 BB, for an apx 120g savings
    2) XT 750 RD replaced with XTR 952 shortcage for another few grams

Both of these were more wear item replacements than weightweenie purchases. The RD had developed a bit of pivot slop and my wifes bike needed a new crank as her rings and bb were shot, so she got my LX.

The big savings were on my beater MTB:
    1) replaced garbage RST suspension fork (the thing had steel lowers, sliders, etc!) with a Nashbar rigid steel for likely a 3-4 lb weight reduction
    2) replaced crap 7 speed freewheel rear wheel with an old Alivio, DT Champ, CR-18 wheel and singlespeed kit
    3) lost a Tourney front and rear mech and Altus shifters
    4) replaced the STEEL riser bar with a Nashbar flat bar
    5) replaced worn out UN-26 BB with UN-54 saving a few more grams

All told I bet the bike lost over 10lbs and is wayyyyy faster and more fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish
    Just last night I swaped out the pullys on my X.9 rear derailluer and went from 204.0g to 184.1g, thats 19.9g there and a little while ago I stripped the padding off my SLR saddle and went from 142.6g to 119.6g, thats 23g cut. 42.9g lost this winter at a cost of...nothing.
    Can you elaborate on the pulleys? What did you do exactly?

Twin Six METAL
    Both my bike and I went on a diet this winter. Here's what the bike got:
    I replaced the 2006 Sid team with Poplock with a tuned 2003 Sid Race Titanium that I shaved the disk tabs off.
    I replaced the XTR brake levers with Extralite ultralevers.
    I replaced the XTR brakes with Avid Titanium brakes.
    I shaved off the bike disk mounts and disk cable mounts.
    I tuned the X.0 rear derailleur.
    All told the bike dropped over 1lb in race trim. Putting it at just over 21 lbs for a Full Suspension!
    SpeedWorks Coaching Services
    http://www.speedworkscoaching.com

mtbr member
    See my new rear der.

Although I don't have the barrel on it I was able to source some light aluminum barrels that I can use here and on my xt pods.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    i pooped before i went riding = 5lbs reduction

8-)
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

I can't weld
    5 pounds??!!

Amateur. You'd better bulk up on some more MaltNut Powerbars and Fig Newtons. yummm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I bought a Cannondale F4 about 4 weeks ago and I'm basically upgrading the whole bike.
    I'm not sure about some of the weights on the parts that are coming off of it.

Cannondale saddle for a WTB Shadow V SLT (195g)
    Cannondale brakelevers for Avid Speed Dial SL (180g)
    Cannondale C4 seatpost for Thomson Elite seatpost 330mm (228g)
    Cannondale C3 handlebars for Easton EC70 (125g)
    Sun Rims for Mavic XC717 Disc w/Shimano Deore XT hubs (1875g/both)
    SX5 SRAM Shifters (206g) for SRAM X-9 Shifter (195g)
    Shimano Deore Front Derailleur for SRAM X-9 Front Derailleur (160g)
    SRAM X-7 Rear Derailleur Long (270g) for SRAM X-9 Rear Derailleur Medium (227g)
    CST Comp tires for WTB ExiWolf Race 2.1 (640g/each)

Well the frame still the same...lol.

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrokid73
    i pooped before i went riding = 5lbs reduction

8-)

Like I said earlier, it ALWAYS comes up. Add another dime to the jar.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Pretty much took a set of old LX jockey wheels and drilled and shaved them, then I filed the cage plates flat and reduced the OD of the jockey wheel bolts with a file. I will post pictures later, I'm having trouble with the server right now.

Got the pictures up via Pinkbike...

X-9 Stock

Stock jockey wheels,

Tuned jockey wheels,

Jockey wheel bolts after fileing,

This is whaat I ment by fileing the cage flat,

X-9 with tuned jockey wheels,
    Last edited by bigfish; 03-01-2007 at 01:10 PM.
    Just do it, Faster, Better, Lighter.
    bikekitchen.blogspot.com
    Single Minded

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish
    Pretty much took a set of old LX jockey wheels and drilled and shaved them, then I filed the cage plates flat and reduced the OD of the jockey wheel bolts with a file. I will post pictures later, I'm having trouble with the server right now.
    Sounds cool. What's "filed the cage plates flat" refer to? I'm excited to give this a shot to my X9 jockey wheels. Is there a reason you took old LX wheels and not the X9 wheels?

i like rocks
    dropped about two pounds off the HT freeride bike. down to 31.2 now.

203mm rear shimano rotor to 160mm hayes rotor
    stock spokes/nipples from outlaw wheels replaced w/ DT alum. nips and DT comp spokes.
    cut 3" off thomson post
    swapped 38t surley steel front ring and S3 MRP Bash for 34T blackspire ring and 34T MRP guard.
    removed 4 links from chain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Wheels Easton XC One 1590g to Stans Olympic w/AM Classic Hubs 1430g
    SAVE - 250g

Salsa Skewers 92g to TUNE Skewers 55g
    SAVE - 37g

Marta Sl Rotors 160mm 105g to Stans Aluminum 61g
    SAVE - 44g

SID Race 1287g to Spinner Aeris 1247g
    SAVE - 40g

Sweep the leg!
    Since last season I changed my Rig's-

stock seatpost to the older style American Classic
    stock crankset/bb to a Truvativ Stylo GXP Carbon cranks
    stock wheels to Hugi 240(f) King ISO(r) on Mavic Reflex rims
    Swapped my Onza HO pedals for Eggbeater 2Ti's
    stock Reba SL for a Bontrager carbon fork

Before weight= ~25 pounds or so
    After weight= 21.6 pounds
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

rad to the power of sick
    LX Hollowtech + XT bb ---> Tune Bigfoot + FSA BB
    910g -----> 730g

Old me ---> New Me
    178lbs ----> 160lbs

gitter done!
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

realtively inexpensive 5 minute half pound reduction

Out of all the weight saving bits I've put on my bike, the "best" ones (ie. not too expensive and don't appear to affect performance) were:

1) Shimano 959 pedals -> Exustar 25Ti. Went from about 345g to 205g. 140g savings. Initial testing of the Exustars went well, but dunno about durability yet.

2) Thomson stem -> Syntace 99. Both 90mm. Went from about 200g to 100g. 100g savings.

There are heaps of others (race wheels, oro puro brakes etc), but none were cheap simple bolt-ons like the above 2.

mtbr member

Wow! 371!

Quote Originally Posted by Indiefab
    My biggest weight cut this winter would be dropping a couple pounds of rotating, unsprung weight with a decent set of DT Swiss/Mavic wheels and Scott tires. Still haven't gone tubeless, but Maxxis Ultralight tubes help.

The easiest would definately be dropping the 700g Thomson seatpost / WTB saddle combo for a 375g SDG I-beam seatpost and I-Fly saddle. That's 325grams or 0.7lbs.
    My Thomson Masterpiece (186) and WTB Speed V (185) seem to be 4 grams lighter then your set up ... I wonder what Thomson and seat you were using?

My best saving? My Ibis Mojo 5.5" travel at less then 5.6 pounds with shock saved almost a pound from my Turner 5-spot. And it works WAAAAAAAY better
    Last edited by Davide; 03-06-2007 at 01:13 AM. Reason: 371

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I'm no weight weenie but...

Dropping the derailleurs, upper and lower chainrings, shifters, and cables on both my mountain bikes was good for a significant weight reduction.

Next up will be replacing the suspension fork on the HT SS with a rigid fork and swapping in some carbon bars.

I doubt there would be day I'd be shaving down my nuts to save a gram or two or possibly ruining the integrity of something like a jockey wheel as they're already insignificant weight.

And I figure I can eat as much pie as I want to as I need to keep the engine well fuelled.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    "Hidden" weight saving: replaced Ritchey Scuzzy Logic headset with Token sealed cartridge - 130g vs. 90g , both excluding lower fork race.
    Saved 40g, pretty cheap too (about 20$)!!
    fab

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004

Cut your unused seatpost

I cut off the unused part of my 34.9mm Ritchey WCS seatpost (about 7cm, which still leaves 2-3 more than the minimum insertion) and saved some definite heft, even though it's lightweight carbon. Didn't cost a dime.
    A hardtail is forever

SUBLIM8er
    My most effective weight reduction purchase this winter:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    William S. Burroughs

Person
    Sep 2005
    My winter plan was to remove 10% from my 21.5 pound hardtail, which means lots of changes.

Biggest single weight loss - Replacing my trusty 99 Judy SL with a 06 Sid World Cup. About 1/2 pound saved (haven't actualy weighed the Judy yet).

Biggest performance increase - Replacing my tired old 747 pedals with new XTR's. 82g saved.

Savings I'm most proud of - I ran 1X8 last year, used a front der. and extra middle ring to keep the chain on (180g total). Made a 77g chainguide, then a few changes/revisions/simplifications and it is now down to 20g So as of now it is a 160g savings, but think I can squeeze a few more grams out of it.

Finaly got my new spokes yesterday, so after building new wheels I will be very close to my 10% goal.

The Mark
    Feb 2007

Smile Wheels, wheels, wheels...

In all my research I have decided that the best bang for your buck is to reduce the weight of your wheels. Lower rotating mass = faster climbing and faster descents.

I replaced my DT Swiss Onyx Hubs, Mavic x819 rims, SRAM P970 cassette and Maxxis USt tyres with Stand sealant - total weigth 4.650 KG - with Extralite ExtraDiscV2.0 wheels, Shimano XT cassette and Kenda Karma UST's and Stans conversion - 3.640 KG.

A massive 1KG reduction and the ride has improved dramatically.

If you go for the Extralite UltraDisc wheels you can take another 220grams off that as these wheels come in at 1320grams....

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hard Rocx Titanium frame: 1700g -> Scott Team Issue Scandium frame: 1150g

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New cranks, wheels, and tires

I dropped over a pound of weight on my Racer-X by swapping out the cranks (M960 to M970), wheels (Crossmax SL's to Olympic/240's/SuperComps), and tires (Maxxis Crossmark non-ust Exception series to Kenda Karma DTC's)....My bike is a small 2004 RX and weighs 22.7lbs...

Now, I just need to replace the frame in order to get to my goal of a 21lb FS (including pedals and H20 cage)...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    so what kinda frame u thinking of to reach a sub 21 FS?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfield
    so what kinda frame u thinking of to reach a sub 21 FS?
    ...I've been shopping to replace the RX since this past December...I've considered several frames that meet my criteria (Sewanee, Nitrous, '07 AS-R SL, El Fuego). My problem is that I'm looking for a race specific frame that weighs under 4.5lbs...

I'll probably end up going with the Yeti...

Also, I should've been more specific about my target weight...the goal is actually sub 22lbs...w/o sacrificing durability (i.e., anywhere b/t 2l - 22 lbs would be great)....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PaniC
    ...I've been shopping to replace the RX since this past December...I've considered several frames that meet my criteria (Sewanee, Nitrous, '07 AS-R SL, El Fuego). My problem is that I'm looking for a race specific frame that weighs under 4.5lbs...

I'll probably end up going with the Yeti...

Also, I should've been more specific about my target weight...the goal is actually sub 22lbs...w/o sacrificing durability (i.e., anywhere b/t 2l - 22 lbs would be great)....
    The Scott Spark should meet ur expectations. Quite race specific and very light!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Eat....less.....pie.
    Indeed.

mtbr member
    Almost 9,100 grams shaved. I don't like pie just added spin class to the diet 3-5 times per week. Getting me through the Michigan weather so far!

Members who have read this thread: 0