Lightweight (ti?) hybrid- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Lightweight (ti?) hybrid

Which manufacturer makes an excellent, high-end hybrid frame, perhaps in titanium?

(I don't think the biggies -- Merlin, Seven, Independent, Moots etc -- even make a hybrid-style frame: i.e., designed for 700mm wheels, commuting etc).

Thanks

mtbr member
    Surely anyone who makes custom bikes would be happy to make you a ti commuter? I know the mob I ride for would.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    True North

Really though, take ANY cyclocross or touring frame, slap on a flat bar and you have today's version of a hybrid. Seventeen years ago though, a hybrid frame was a mountain bike frame that took 700C wheels. Today those are called 29ers.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    True North

Really though, take ANY cyclocross or touring frame, slap on a flat bar and you have today's version of a hybrid. Seventeen years ago though, a hybrid frame was a mountain bike frame that took 700C wheels. Today those are called 29ers.
    I know what a 29-er is, thanks, and their history. But I'm not sure about what you say about cyclocross/touring frames. I think that there are geometry factors specific to the hybrids made, e.g., by Specialized. I'm not sure and will look into it, but I think that they didn't just take their road bikes and put on a flatbar etc. (For another thing, a touring bike is probably triple butted and with a very long axle c to axle c length.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

the sexiest hybrid made by BMC (of course)

check it out, i've got one of them with 700 wheelset (240 and RR rims) magura sl with carbon lever... all up 8.2 kg witch is pretty good for this kind of bike. of course, i didn't look for lightweight really but sweet and good looking componetry (thomson post, aliente saddle, extralite stem, HB and bar end....)
    http://www.bmc-racing.com/en/tw/bike...t-black/story/
    in switzerland it retails for about $3700.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by BMC freak
    check it out, i've got one of them with 700 wheelset (240 and RR rims) magura sl with carbon lever... all up 8.2 kg witch is pretty good for this kind of bike. of course, i didn't look for lightweight really but sweet and good looking componetry (thomson post, aliente saddle, extralite stem, HB and bar end....)
    http://www.bmc-racing.com/en/tw/bike...t-black/story/
    in switzerland it retails for about $3700.
    Nice looking, but that's just a MTB frame with slicks .
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

ups and downs
    Reckless Rider in Vancouver have a house brand of Ti 700C wheel commuter frames under their name Rek Tek that are very nice looking and stupid light. They have all the fender and rack mounts you'd want for commuting or touring. They don't have the details on the website, but if you contact them they'll send you the info. They weren't absurdly expensive frames either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Jamis had a Coda Supreme last year that was pretty light...carbon/853 frame... Looks like they dropped it for '08, though.

A Real Winner.
    Go custom. That's all I have to say on this issue.

www.quiringcycles.net
    www.viciouscycles.com
    www.calfeedesign.com

Just to name a few
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    Trek's 7.9fx is full carbon.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what a 'Hybrid' bike is anymore. They seem to have been swallowed up and morphed into 'Cyclocross', 'Flat bar road bikes', or 'Townies'.

As Some Guy mentions, any custom builder can make you exactly what you want, even a Ti-Carbon lugged 'Hybrid' if you want to go that far.

You just need to have an inkling of what you want, what your budget is, and start dropping some emails.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

carborazor ain't MTB

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    Nice looking, but that's just a MTB frame with slicks .
    i can only disagree with you here....
    this is a pure hybrid "race" machine:
    fork and rear stay are designed to accomodate narrow tires (26'/650 or 700).
    altogether the geometry is pretty close to a road bike, of course on the pic showned from BMC web site, the carbo wears some 26 DT wheelset so it might be confusing.
    it is always good to comment post, but wrong to comment without knowing
    just like i would talk about extralite wheelset, since i never tried one so far
    i had the 2005 carborazor (allblack) with the same wheelset with conti 4 seasons 28 mm.
    now i just got one month ago the 2008 carborator.
    they ride like road bike, yet a little slower since the disk wheelset are heavier that classic rim road wheels, yet flat hb gives a more fun angle to the ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0