lightweight good size knobs 2.1 tyre......- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

lightweight good size knobs 2.1 tyre......

hi guys when i race i use the panaracer cinder 1.95 tyre@580 grms, as far as i'm concerned nothing beats the cinder rubber for grip but the ride is too harsh...so can you recommend a 500-580grms 2.1 cinder height knobs tyre?
    i also have the cinder 2.1 and 2.3 size but the 2.1 weighs 660 grms which is too heavy for racing!

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by marco
    hi guys when i race i use the panaracer cinder 1.95 tyre@580 grms, as far as i'm concerned nothing beats the cinder rubber for grip but the ride is too harsh...so can you recommend a 500-580grms 2.1 cinder height knobs tyre?
    i also have the cinder 2.1 and 2.3 size but the 2.1 weighs 660 grms which is too heavy for racing!
    The Panaracer Smoke rear and Dart front are great tires with lots of traction and don't weigh much in the lightweight versions, both 2.1's. These are some of my favorite tires, along with the WTB Velociraptors, which also have great treads on them. Plenty of bite with all of these tires . The kevlar Velociraptors are a little heavier than the Panaracers but not by much. The Ritchey Z-Max WCS tires are light and have good all terrain traction too, just not as good climbers as the Smoke and Velociraptor Rear. They do provide good suspension when run at low pressure, if your bike is a hard-tail or has a rigid fork. The Ritcheys were available in 2.1 and 2.35 when I used to use them. The 2.35 is a great size for traction and suspension for a hard tail bike if your frame can fit them.

mechmann_mtb
    i havn't ridden them yet but i am getting a pair of Kenda Cortez 2.2 (580g) at the suggestion of an accomplished local LBS mechanic/owner.

t2p
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    (warning - 'old' info .......)
    At one time (maybe still ?) Specialized offerred some lightweight 2.1 and 1.95 tires with decent sized knobs ........... Team this-or-that .......... Team Control ........ Team Master ...... I believe the knobs were prone to damage - torn knobs were not uncommon ....
    I liked the old Ritchey Z Max 2.1's ...... The WCS versions were 550 grams at one time ......... this tire produced a nice ride .......... knobs are not very big however ........

t2p
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDesertRider
    The Panaracer Smoke rear and Dart front are great tires with lots of traction and don't weigh much in the lightweight versions, both 2.1's. These are some of my favorite tires, along with the WTB Velociraptors, which also have great treads on them. Plenty of bite with all of these tires . The kevlar Velociraptors are a little heavier than the Panaracers but not by much. The Ritchey Z-Max WCS tires are light and have good all terrain traction too, just not as good climbers as the Smoke and Velociraptor Rear. They do provide good suspension when run at low pressure, if your bike is a hard-tail or has a rigid fork. The Ritcheys were available in 2.1 and 2.35 when I used to use them. The 2.35 is a great size for traction and suspension for a hard tail bike if your frame can fit them.
    Smoke and Darts - good tires in their day (maybe still) - but not the lightest out there .... somewhere around 620 grams or so I believe .......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thanks for the help but what about schwalbe little albert ..

snakeskin 2.1 @535 grms? and blackjack light 2.1@520 grms. has anybody tried these tyres?

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by t2p
    Smoke and Darts - good tires in their day (maybe still) - but not the lightest out there .... somewhere around 620 grams or so I believe .......
    From the Panaracer website (www.panaracer.com):

2.1" Dart, aramid bead, 126 tpi, 580 grams. The steel bead version is 690g and 27 tpi.

2.1" Smoke, aramid bead, 126 tpi, 590 grams. The steel bead version is 690g and 27 tpi.

For comparison, WTB Velociraptors (similar tread, similar size, similar traction as Dart/Smoke, I've had both):

2.1" Velociraptor Rear, kevlar bead (DNR Race version), 675 grams. The steel bead version is 770 grams.

2.1" Velociraptor Front, kevlar bead (DNR Race version), 700 grams. The steel bead version is 795 grams.

Looks like Panaracer has put the good 'ol Dart/Smoke tires on a diet in recent years . The ones I ran were a little heavy back in those days but worked excellent.

mtbr member
    Marco - it looks like you and I are looking for the same thing right now. I've seen in a couple of your recent posts that you mention the Cinder as riding harsh. Can you explain? Is it more to do with the tread pattern or maybe a lack of sidewall flexibility.... maybe something else?

Let me know - the small Cinder is a tire on my list, but you're making me second guess. I wanna know why.

Thanks.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Check out the specialized fast trak tires (say they're 2.0, really more like 2.15) Very good knobs and cornering and 535ish grams

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

to be honest andrew they are slightly harsh......

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Marco - it looks like you and I are looking for the same thing right now. I've seen in a couple of your recent posts that you mention the Cinder as riding harsh. Can you explain? Is it more to do with the tread pattern or maybe a lack of sidewall flexibility.... maybe something else?

Let me know - the small Cinder is a tire on my list, but you're making me second guess. I wanna know why.

Thanks.

simply because they are a 1.95 size, i weigh 220 lbs so front is 38 psi and rear is 40 psi.....perhaps if you where lighter then you could run them with lower psi which would make them no longer harsh.....anyway they are the best gripping tyre i have and i have 8 sets of tyres!