Lightweight, durable ISIS BB?- Mtbr.com
    (aka SS_MB-7)

Lightweight, durable ISIS BB?

I've been using FSA Carbon Pros and FSA Platinum Pro Ti ISIS BB on my singlespeed for nearly 2-yrs and recently (2 months ago) went with a set of Team Carbon Pros and Platinum Pro Ti ISIS BB on my Racer-X.

For just over a year, the BB in my SS was perfect....it was stiff (I"m only 135lbs), light (well, reasonably anyway) and it rolled smooth (just like a BB should).

Then, it started to develop some lateral play. I sent it back to FSA and it was warrantied quickly. During the warranty turn-around time (I'm in Canada, so it takes time), I installed my back-up FSA Platinum Pro Ti ISIS BB and kept the new warrantied BB as a back-up.

Well, within 2 months, the 2nd BB developed premature play and was sent back to FSA...again, it was quickly warrantied.

I then installed the 3rd BB. And, like the 2nd BB, it too developed premature play and was sent back to FSA. Unfortunately, I haven't yet received the replacement.

So, now I'm running on my last FSA Platinum Pro Ti ISIS BB without a back-up.

Unfortunately, on my new Racer-X, I went with a set of FSA Team Carbon Pros and Platinum Pro Ti ISIS BB. I spec'd the BB before I had the numerous and recent BB warranties. As I said, for over a year, my first BB was excellent...it's been every BB since that have had problems. Had I known, I would have spec'd something else. As luck would have it (or not), this BB has developed excessive and premature play in less than 2 months! Unfortunately, I don't have a back-up for this BB either.

So, to make a long story short, I'm looking for ISIS BB alternatives. I need a 68x113 for my SS and a 73x113 for my Racer-X. As I mentioned, I'm light-weight (135-140lbs) and race XC (Expert). I don't huck, etc.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    I recalling off of memory from a few months ago when I got my FSA Platinum Pro Ti ISIS BB, so forgive me if I'm off a bit. I belive the FSA BB has three bearings, two on the drive side and one on the non drive side. I had the option of going, I think, Race Face Ti BB but it was something like 20g heavier due to four bearings. I'm guessing it'd be stronger.

I hope I don't run into your issues, I've got a Carbon Pro Team Issue crakset and said Ti BB, but I weigh 195lbs (and climbing!! )...

MaLóŒ˘*size=
    web for spada components?

web for new ultimate?

thanks

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    I recalling off of memory from a few months ago when I got my FSA Platinum Pro Ti ISIS BB, so forgive me if I'm off a bit. I belive the FSA BB has three bearings, two on the drive side and one on the non drive side. I had the option of going, I think, Race Face Ti BB but it was something like 20g heavier due to four bearings. I'm guessing it'd be stronger.

I hope I don't run into your issues, I've got a Carbon Pro Team Issue crakset and said Ti BB, but I weigh 195lbs (and climbing!! )...
    You are partially correct: the Platinum Pro Ti ISIS BB has 2 bearings. The driveside bearing is actually a double-sized bearing (effectively 2), whereas, the non-driveside only has 1.

In looking at the RaceFace Signature ISIS BB reviews...yikes! I would have expected much better than that from RF.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Any info on the new American Classic (Shook) BB?

Bearings are replaceable....nice!

113mm (no spacers) = 149g...nice!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed_Mike
    In looking at the RaceFace Signature ISIS BB reviews...yikes! I would have expected much better than that from RF.
    Try finding favorable responses (say avg 3.50/5 or better) on ANY mfg's ISIS BB's with a bit of statistical credibility say 10 reviews or more. There aren't any! Octalink and the integrated crank/spindle combos (Deus, new XTR etc) don't fare much better, old news.