Lightweight disc brake hose - 19g/m- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Lightweight disc brake hose - 19g/m

Has anyone used the hydraulic brake hose from discobrakes.com http://discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=4&c=78&p=818& ?

They claim its only 19g/m and is "Kevlar reinforced Teflon Nylon hose for use with DOT 4 or Mineral oil". I've got some left-over silver jagwire hyflow and it weighs about 23g/m but is quite a bit more expensive and doesn't include the fittings.

According to the discobrakes claims, a complete rear brake hose setup should come in at 19g/m x 1.6m + 2 x 1g barbs + 2 x 3gm nuts = 38.4g which seems quite reasonable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    interesting. i would certainly be interested in shaving weight there if the stuff performs well.

let us know how it goes!
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Magura HS33's mineral oil hose weighs 15gr/m

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Do you know if the Magura hose would work with Dot 4 / 5.1? Anyone tried it?

gone for a bike ride
    isn't Yumeya YM-BH81 is also supposed to be lighter than regular mineral oil type hydraulic line?

or is it just: "Thicker inner tube of hose with smaller bore diameter increases rigidity over BH59 hose by 39% improving power and performance"

anyway its still on sale @ 79% off here : http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...t.aspx?sc=FRGL

...can't find a weight for it per metre - does anyone know?

gone for a bike ride
    double post please delete - sorry

gone for a bike ride
    triple post please delete - sorry (WTF with the server tonight?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by culturesponge
    triple post please delete - sorry (WTF with the server tonight?)
    Trigger happy mouse I think
    White is not a colour

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    HOPE hose weighs 16.3g / meter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic-o View Post
    Is this the same hose and weight? and if so, will it work with Shimano Zee fittings?

Magura Mountain Bike Rim Brake Tubing - bike brake accessories - Buy at BikeSomeWhere.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marko View Post
    HOPE hose weighs 16.3g / meter.
    is this the hose you are talking about?
    Hope 5mm Standard Hose Kit with Fittings for Hope Brake | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic-o View Post
    Hello, wow...5 years from your post I'm asking you a question! but listen: Have you ever used this HS33 hose with disc brakes? if yes...any issues? because Magura doesn't recommend that....only for rim brakes.

mtbr member

Brake Force One Brake hose; 13.33g/meter....and...I also checked the BFO fitting and the thread is the same as standard fittings!
    Picture to show all 3 hoses I have all at 300mm length.

BFO: 4g
    Sram Avid: 5.4g
    Shimano high power: 6g
    Jagwire HFK: 6.5g
    Magura Disc-Tube 2.2: 5.88g

Last edited by andrepsz; 02-11-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Specialized
    Glad you weighed those dude . I was surprised when I shortened by hose (BFO) that they were kevlar .

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by culturesponge View Post
    isn't Yumeya YM-BH81 is also supposed to be lighter than regular mineral oil type hydraulic line?

or is it just: "Thicker inner tube of hose with smaller bore diameter increases rigidity over BH59 hose by 39% improving power and performance"

anyway its still on sale @ 79% off here : Jenson USA - Online mountain & road bike parts, clothing and accessories shop | Jenson USA

...can't find a weight for it per metre - does anyone know?
    I recall an interview and factory tour at Shimano where the Shimano rep emphasized that finding materials to make their hoses as rigid as possible, without being brittle, was a challenge, and played a big role in getting their brakes feeling so direct, and not spongy like the competition.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    ....and not spongy like the competition.
    I don't believe a spongy feeling is related to hoses.

13.33g/m BFO hose has nothing about spongy...quite the opposite!

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    I recall an interview and factory tour at Shimano where the Shimano rep emphasized that finding materials to make their hoses as rigid as possible, without being brittle, was a challenge, and played a big role in getting their brakes feeling so direct, and not spongy like the competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrepsz View Post
    I don't believe a spongy feeling is related to hoses.

13.33g/m BFO hose has nothing about spongy...quite the opposite!
    Interesting point from Varaxis, which got me thinking. Does hose stiffness matter? (Bedroom: yes. Bikes: I don't know.)

I was thinking "no", but what if the force applied to the brakes moves the hose a bit along the way, instead of sending that force with 100% efficiency? Take a water hose with a lot of pressure - we've all seen that when they slither or flip around on their own from the pressure. Does the hose movement take away from the force/pressure along the hose?

I wonder if Shimano is really seeking super-stiff hoses? As it is, their hoses are indeed a pain to work with, especially compared to other brands.

Specialized
    I think a stiffer hose would be better as the fluid would move direction into the direction needed . Any flex would delay the fluid slightly . This all sounds dirty to me !!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Isn't the real problem with hoses that they can expand if they aren't strong enough? So some of your pressure is inflating the hose, rather than forcing the pads onto the disc.

When that happens it would feel exactly like it does when you compress an air bubble in a poorly bled hose, your finger pressure isn't all going to the pads.

In the car and motorcycle racing scene, strong, braided hoses are a standard way to increase brake performance

mtbr member
    I have a hard time wrapping my head around braided hoses for cycling. Comparing the forces generated by an entire leg pushing the brakes of a car (plus your back compressing the seat) with One finger pulling a brake lever...I'm sure there are ways to precisely quantify that but just by thinking about it I can securely say that the difference is huge!

Yes is a theory that makes sense, but until I see precise data to prove the benefit of a braided hose affecting braking performance on a bicycle....I'll stick with my lovely BFO hoses.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have a hard time wrapping my head around braided hoses for cycling. Comparing the forces generated by an entire leg pushing the brakes of a car (plus your back compressing the seat) with One finger pulling a brake lever...I'm sure there are ways to precisely quantify that but just by thinking about it I can securely say that the difference is huge!

Yes is a theory that makes sense, but until I see precise data to prove the benefit of a braided hose affecting braking performance on a bicycle....I'll stick with my lovely BFO hoses.
    I think you're right, braided hoses aren't needed on a bike, unless its to protect against impact damage. The point was really that getting hoses that won't inflate when braking is a proven way to improve braking performance.

On a bike, the pressures are less, but the hoses are correspondingly thinner, its easy to imagine a lightweight hose with thinner walls being more liable to swell and therefore lose braking power under pressure.

The manufacturers will be aiming for hoses that use the right materials, and are thin enough to save weight, but not so thin that they compromise performance. Its the same trade-off that all WWs are familiar with

Specialized
    Which is why kevlar is the best IMO . The only brakes I have with kevlar hoses are my BFO brakes (and only because they came with them) . I have stainless on my Hope M4s and Minis and the BFO brakes are much more powerful (although that's due to the design but the hoses haven't impacted on them in terms of degradation ) .

damned rocks...
    Yes, steel braided hoses don't do a thing in MTB, unless you have super cheap hoses, but you can just change the hoses to a good big name brand and be done with it.
    Steel braided is only good to protection, and that's the only reason I use them, If not I would be using either Formula hoses, or Uberbike, for the bling factor. Or just leave the original hoses, they work just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by karimian5 View Post
    (...)The only brakes I have with kevlar hoses are my BFO brakes (and only because they came with them).(...)
    You have Formula Kevlar braided hoses, they have a light versions that comes with the more expensive models, and they are light and strong, and have nice braided white pattern.
    You have also other third party brands with Kevlar, namely Uberbike.

Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    You have Formula Kevlar braided hoses, they have a light versions that comes with the more expensive models, and they are light and strong, and have nice braided white pattern.
    You have also other third party brands with Kevlar, namely Uberbike.
    I'm not too keen on the look of the Formula hoses tbh . I like the black stealth look . I know BFO do other hoses like glow in the dark ones and clear ones but again they look too bling .

mtbr member

Ok wait a sec...so BFO changed they'r hoses along the way? The one I put on the scale came from the first version of the brakes. Doesn't look like there is Kevlar in it and is a uniform black color.

Specialized
    Ok wait a sec...so BFO changed they'r hoses along the way? The one I put on the scale came from the first version of the brakes. Doesn't look like there is Kevlar in it and is a uniform black color.
    I have the first version (with some updates). When I shortened the hose I could see the kevlar fibres . Also you can feel the hose is really light .

mtbr member
    I'm all about slick look! Internal routing does that plus protects the hose...no need for residual weight of the braided's. Internal is more pain to install and stuff....but hell its one day doing that for at least the rest of the year.

mtbr member
    When I shortened the hose I could see the kevlar fibres . Also you can feel the hose is really light .
    Were you able to remove the hose from the fitting easily? man...I left the air drawer heating up the hose for a long time...following BFO's service manual, but even after that it was very very hard to remove it, I had to use my legs to push the damn thing out.

Maybe that was to problem, its just a air drawer...not the industrial heat gun type.

Specialized
    You need a full on heat gun to remove them according to the video on their Youtube channel :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riwxBhrR2ss

My system doesn't even have this type of connection . You just unscrew the connector to release the hose and the olive comes straight out . Much easier .

mtbr member
    You need a full on heat gun to remove them according to the video on their Youtube channel

Got it...didn't think straight...hair drawer is NOT the same...hehe, well I might just light on fire at the connector next time...that will work for sure! Hehe

mtbr member
    Had a chance to include here the weight for 300mm of Jagwire HFK, even heavier than the shimano?! I'm disappointed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have the R1R's with the Yellow/black kevlar cable but have a matt black themed bike, so wanted to know what would be the lightest BLACK alternative outer housing that is available seperately. Only need 2.1m for f&r.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poynt View Post
    I have the R1R's with the Yellow/black kevlar cable but have a matt black themed bike, so wanted to know what would be the lightest BLACK alternative outer housing that is available seperately. Only need 2.1m for f&r.
    By far the lightest hose is from Brake Force One. Contact them directly and they will send you some.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks, I assume the Forumula fitting still fit without any special tools like the H20 hose.

mtbr member

thanks, I assume the Forumula fitting still fit without any special tools like the H20 hose.
    Good point. I actually used a BFO fitting to go with the BFO hose and I installed that on a sram XX lever & caliper...worked perfectly. If formula uses the same standard thread pitch and diameter of the XX...it should work fine just as I did.

I never tried installing the BFO hose on a traditional fitting...and I'm not interested in that since the BFO fitting is also lighter

Here it is...all hidden by the rubber cover:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was told that it wouldn't work as The Formula's require a higher hydraulic pressure than the BFO's! were they thinking of the h20's or are all the new BFO hoses different from the older ones? ie just plastic hose.

mtbr member

I was told that it wouldn't work as The Formula's require a higher hydraulic pressure than the BFO's! were they thinking of the h20's or are all the new BFO hoses different from the older ones? ie just plastic hose.
    I'm sorry but I call that BS. There is no such thing...humanly impossible to blowup a brake hose with the forces of human fingers. Besides brake design is very similar across most of the brands and models in the market, I'm sure BFO h2o also uses the same lightweight hose...and is a two piston system pressed by a master cylinder...just like formulas. Dimensions are slightly different here and there but is nowhere near to be a problem.
    Last edited by andrepsz; 09-22-2016 at 12:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I got that info from R2 bike, I also spoke to Silverfish which is a Formula dealer here in the UK, and they said there are other brands of hose that firt but it would void my warranty, which I don't have anyway so sod that. The only hassle I see so far is that does anyone do the banjos that normally come pre fitted to the hoses for formula for the caliper end. The BFO ones are different! The rest of the lever fittings I can get no problem.

mtbr member

I got that info from R2 bike, I also spoke to Silverfish which is a Formula dealer here in the UK, and they said there are other brands of hose that firt but it would void my warranty, which I don't have anyway so sod that. The only hassle I see so far is that does anyone do the banjos that normally come pre fitted to the hoses for formula for the caliper end. The BFO ones are different! The rest of the lever fittings I can get no problem.
    Yeah I'm not familiar with formula hardware. But I can relate to BFO stuff. If you are looking into lightweight and be a true weightweenie, go with BFO hose and BFO inserts. Can't beat them in weight. Again...if the formula thread and insert diameter is the same as BFO's....it should work fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    everyone has said bad idea or no so far, high pressure vs low pressure systems. Even BFO said no.

So what is the next lightest black hose that is Formula compatible?
    Last edited by poynt; 09-23-2016 at 06:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    You're right to be cautious and make sure that replacement line is compatible with your brakes; the length of the brake lever and the size of the piston work together to put substantial pressure into a brake line, its usually well over 1,000 psi. Brake line is built to take these pressures, so it isn't a problem, but if you put something from a lower pressure system on there, you could easily burst the hose

Specialized
    Did you use the ridiculously expensive BFO insert tool or the Jagwire ?!!! I used the Jaqwire which is about 60% less in price but only works a bit . you have to use a mallet and vice for the remainder of the valve .

Members who have read this thread: 3