Lightweight crank (or, should I replace XX with Rotor 3D/3D+?)- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Fat On A Bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    201

    Lightweight crank (or, should I replace XX with Rotor 3D/3D+?)

    Folks,

    I am asking your advise. Currently I am running a SRAM XX crank (26x29).
    I am thinking of replacing it with a Rotor 3D+ crank (or any other lightweight and good crank).
    It's not that I am not happy with the crank... 3 options to shed more weight from my 9.6KG highball - Crank, Pedals (running XTR race), and Wheels (running ARCH+AC hubs. Would get the new CREST EX once they are made available. Would not buy a wheel set which costs more then 1000USD).

    Appreciate the advice,

    Thanks!
    Ofir

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,938
    Race Face Next SL double - It's carbon, light, really expensive and has mixed reviews. The past issues may have been solved.
    Lightning - Same as the above and possibly even less reliable.

    I wouldn't bother. Keep your XX and ride it til it breaks.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    17
    Cannondale Hollowgram SL... Stiff and light

    and if your SC highball is at 9.6kg (carbon frame sub 2.5lbs?) there is more than 3 options to shed weight.

    Tell us more

  4. #4
    Fat On A Bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludodee View Post
    Cannondale Hollowgram SL... Stiff and light

    and if your SC highball is at 9.6kg (carbon frame sub 2.5lbs?) there is more than 3 options to shed weight.

    Tell us more
    My setup:

    SC Highball Carbon Size Medium
    Rock Shox SID 29 XX with push lock
    Complete SRAM XX setup
    Ritchey WCS X4 Stem -17 degree handlbar
    Ritchey Foam Grips
    Ritchey WCS Carbon Flat 10D
    Chris King headset
    Ritchey WCS Carbon seatpost
    Specialized Romin saddle
    ZTR Arch Rims + AC hubs - wheels (would like to run crest ex)
    Maxxis Ikon
    XTR race pedals

    Ofir

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Race Face Next SL double - It's carbon, light, really expensive and has mixed reviews. The past issues may have been solved.
    Lightning - Same as the above and possibly even less reliable.

    I wouldn't bother. Keep your XX and ride it til it breaks.
    The Race Face Next SL 2x10 crankset isn't that expensive. I paid $563 including shipping for mine.

    And it doesn't have any reviews yet. It was released little over a month ago.

    If you're talking about the Next SL triple, it's light and stiff and shifts as well as an XTR.

    There were some issues with the first batch of the original Next cranks, not the Next SL ones. I don't know why people keep mentioning them. They have been solved years ago.
    Last edited by sfer1; 10-04-2011 at 05:54 AM.

  6. #6
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,275
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    It's carbon, light, really expensive and has mixed reviews. Lightning - Same as the above and possibly even less reliable.
    I agree that Lightnings are carbon, light, and expensive but I've never seen a bad review or failure. Care to elaborate?
    I was gonna ask if the OP's frame has a 68mm BB shell so he could use an S-works crank. Same as Lightning but half the price
    Keep the Country country.

  7. #7
    Fat On A Bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post
    The Race Face Next SL 2x10 crankset isn't that expensive. I paid $563 including shipping for mine.

    And it doesn't have any reviews yet. It was released little over a month ago.

    If you're talking about the Next SL triple, it's light and rigid and shifts as well as an XTR.

    There were some issues with the first batch of the original Next cranks, not the Next SL ones. I don't know why people keep mentioning them. They have been solved years ago.
    What is the weight difference between the 2x10 Next SL crankset and a SRAM XX?
    Also, where did you get yours?

    Ofir

  8. #8
    Fat On A Bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I agree that Lightnings are carbon, light, and expensive but I've never seen a bad review or failure. Care to elaborate?
    I was gonna ask if the OP's frame has a 68mm BB shell so he could use an S-works crank. Same as Lightning but half the price
    It's a regular BB Shell. Plain and simple.
    Standard thread-in BB

    Ofir

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,938
    I've read about the Lighning's having bad bearings and play at the bottom bracket. That issues may have been solved or it could have just been one person complaining about it on multiple forums.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    12
    SRAM XX crank, no problem.
    Rotor make noise.

  11. #11
    Fat On A Bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Taran View Post
    SRAM XX crank, no problem.
    Rotor make noise.
    I guess it is the general wisdom over here

    what with regards to my other parts?
    Anything to do there?

    Ofir

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by blaadd View Post
    What is the weight difference between the 2x10 Next SL crankset and a SRAM XX?
    Also, where did you get yours?

    Ofir
    About 170g with BB.

    Universal Cycles (they offer a 15% returning customer discount on orders over $300)

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    17
    Fork : Lefty or FRM (~1350g)
    i-link
    stem : extralite, KCNC or Syntace (Ax Lightness!)
    handelbar : MTzoom
    seatpost : KCNC, New Ultimate,...
    saddle : speedneedle
    collar : carbon-ti, KCNC, Tune,...
    disk : carbon-Ti, scrub,...

    ...

    More ideas there for example : r2-bike.com/Home_1

  14. #14
    MaLóŒ˘*size=
    Reputation: MaLoL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    775
    xtr

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by blaadd View Post
    My setup:

    SC Highball Carbon Size Medium
    Rock Shox SID 29 XX with push lock
    Complete SRAM XX setup
    Ritchey WCS X4 Stem -17 degree handlbar
    Ritchey Foam Grips
    Ritchey WCS Carbon Flat 10D
    Chris King headset
    Ritchey WCS Carbon seatpost
    Specialized Romin saddle
    ZTR Arch Rims + AC hubs - wheels (would like to run crest ex)
    Maxxis Ikon
    XTR race pedals

    Ofir
    היי אופיר!!!
    אוכל לעזור לך בכל הקשור בהורדת המשקל, ללא פגיעה ביכולת האופניים תוכל למצוא אותי בפייסבוק
    Ohad Damirov
    חג שמח!!!
    Scott Scale (899) RC 6.660g

    Light-Bikes Israel on Facebook

  16. #16
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,586
    I've seen a fair number of problems with Rotor cranks. The shifting of there rings seams to be hit or miss as well.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post
    There were some issues with the first batch of the original Next cranks, not the Next SL ones. I don't know why people keep mentioning them. They have been solved years ago.
    Mine is still at RF awaiting warranty replacement after catastrophic failure in July, three months after I bought it new.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Similar Threads

  1. lightweight rotor to XX breaks
    By N2B in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-17-2011, 03:30 PM
  2. When to replace a rotor
    By 05Willys in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 07:16 PM
  3. When to replace a rotor?
    By Bubba74 in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-25-2008, 09:13 PM
  4. Replace the pads as well as the rotor.
    By ziscwg in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 03:45 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 05:17 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.