Lightest rim-tape for non-tubeless wheels?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lightest rim-tape for non-tubeless wheels?

Tried to search, but didn't come up with much that wasn't for Stans...

What are you guys using?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I use a fibrous no-name brand tape that's about 2 grams per rim, and costs $10 retail for a 50 foot roll. Its basically the same stuff as the old "Rox" rimtape, except only in black, comes in four widths, and well, unlike rox, your $10 buys you more than 2 rims worth.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

banned

Eclipse 21g...

Quote Originally Posted by Tag1
    Tried to search, but didn't come up with much that wasn't for Stans...

What are you guys using?
    the Eclipse rimstrip weighs 21g, add 9g for the valve and 5g for the adhesive tape that goes underneath...so the setup for 1 wheel weighs 35g
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    will the eclipse system work for non dt-swiss wheels (say mavic 717's)?
    i've used the maxxis tr strips and they work great. however, they do weigh about 100 grams each so there is actually a weight gain (100 grams for the strip and another 100 grams or so for the sealant per wheel).

Photog Cyclist.
    So you want a light rim-strip for a standard tube and tire????

2 layers of strapping tape---Office Depot $5 for a 25 yard role. It only comes in 1 inch wide-but you can just cut it to the width you want and it will work killer.
    We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    (Tim Mcgraw)

fella
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    the Eclipse rimstrip weighs 21g, add 9g for the valve and 5g for the adhesive tape that goes underneath...so the setup for 1 wheel weighs 35g
    You must have forgot to read the OP message before posting. He was asking about NON-TUBELESS.

I ride bikes
    Apr 2006
    the Velox cloth tape is 12-14g per wheel.
    2006 Giant Trance 1

mtbr member
    What about the Velo plugs from Velocity, individual hole plugs that are very light and easy to get at your spokes if needed. Sounds like a great idea, i'm going to use them on my new wheel build. Delgado race to DT 240's.

Ride Responsibly
    sorry, no name that I can remember, but I bought some rim tape that is super thin to aid with tire removal, looks like packing tape but is only 0.08 mm or 0.008 inches thick, reckon it is dang lite too.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i've done rims for touring with 2-3 layers of packing tape, all i could get in the middle of nowhere.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Velox is the right stuff.

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    I agree, Velox is the lightest I know of, other than packing tape. Packing tape works well but in my experience it is prone to crack and deteriorate in certain conditions (sandy hot and dry, like Utah).
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member

Velox moves around...

Velox works ok on small rims (Mavix XC517, 717, ...).
    In wider rims they move around when they get wet (= flat caused by spoke-hole)
    I swapped to Schwalbe rim-tape now, they have them in several widths.
    Key is to chose rim-tape at least as large as the rim to prevent it from moving.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Nylon reinforced packing tape... the kind with the lines.

registered dumbass
    Jan 2007
    Ritchey wcs red tape is the lightest. I think it is about 5g per wheel for 1 layer. I have used a single layer (no overlap at the valve) fine for over 1 year with flyweight tubes on 330g fly's and maxxlite 310's. For ultra weenies...ot's the go

registered dumbass
    Jan 2007
    Ritchey wcs red tape is the lightest. I think it is about 5g per wheel for 1 layer. I have used a single layer (no overlap at the valve) fine for over 1 year with flyweight tubes on 330g fly's and maxxlite 310's. For ultra weenies...it's the go
    {typo corrected}

go chase the sunset
    I think zipp rim tape is pretty light, and it's made to be extra thin. According to the clincher section of the zipp rim tape manual, they explicity say don't use Velox since it's substantially thicker than the zipp's own tape which the rims were designed for.

Person
    Sep 2005
    I've been using electrical tape for years and never had a problem.

Have no idea how much it weighs, but it's not much.

Want to vent?
    I must be missing something here...granted I used the velox stuff when I was starting out, but seems like tape is tape and expensive tape that does a wheel at a time is marketing hype...

IMO, If your wheel is built good, any "strong" tape will do. I now use the packing tape with the "threads" in it or sometimes even electrical tape. It's cheap and light. And after probably 6 or so years of doing this, on wheels that have been ridden and raced hard I have had zero problems.

Granted if you are part of the set it and forget it set, I suppose the thick velox or specific rim tape would be the best option.
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

KLF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 23mjm
    So you want a light rim-strip for a standard tube and tire????

2 layers of strapping tape---Office Depot $5 for a 25 yard role. It only comes in 1 inch wide-but you can just cut it to the width you want and it will work killer.
    Even lighter - I have also used a couple of wraps of the very light and strong mylar "tape" that comes in a VHS cassette (held in place with a light coating of rubber cement). It's also less stretchy than electrical tape.

For road tires it takes about 4 layers covered by one layer of strapping tape to be sure that it keeps its integrity over the spoke holes at 100+ PSI. For MTB pressures, much less will work.

KLF

Electrical tape is also actually heavy... about 5g per rim per layer.

Compared to Rox rimtape which was about 1.5g per rim and only needed a single layer.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    I use a fibrous no-name brand tape that's about 2 grams per rim, and costs $10 retail for a 50 foot roll. Its basically the same stuff as the old "Rox" rimtape, except only in black, comes in four widths, and well, unlike rox, your $10 buys you more than 2 rims worth.
    Where do you buy that tape?

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by nino

stop trying to sell your sh!t every chance you get. it gets really annoying.
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

If he didn't post to sell his stuff, we'd have to endure the "where'd nino go" posts.

As to where do I buy the tape? I special-order it from a canadian distributor at my usual LBS, any LBS in canada that deals with Cycles-Lambert can get it for you.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtailforever
    I agree, Velox is the lightest I know of, other than packing tape. Packing tape works well but in my experience it is prone to crack and deteriorate in certain conditions (sandy hot and dry, like Utah).
    Agreed. Plus, it's a real b1tch to remove if it does degrade.

Members who have read this thread: 2